the Flying Tigers and Burma

This game, measuring 35”x32” is compatible with the yet to be released Axis & Allies Europe 1940 game (coming in August 2010). This game includes newly introduced units such as mechanized infantry and tactical bombers.
jwingram

the Flying Tigers and Burma

Post by jwingram » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:12 pm

This question came up in our Pacific 1940 game yesterday and the rulebook is unclear on the answer. According to the rulebook, Chinese forces may enter Burma and French Indochina.

However, the rulebook is unclear as to any conditions that may prevent Chinese forces from entering those territories. The specific question asked was, "Can I land the Chinese fighter in Burma even though the UK is not at war with Japan?" My assumption is yes, since that would be historically accurate. And that's how we played it (because you can debate the rules or play the game, but it's very hard to do both at the same time).

However, rereading the rules gives no further insight on the question. The rulebook is mute on the question of whether or not Chinese forces may enter UK territory when the UK is not at war with Japan.

Historically the Flying Tigers did operate sometimes out of Burma. However, history does not always drive the rules in the game, and frankly I think it wouldn't be unreasonable for the UK allowing that fighter to land there to be considered an act of war.

So, please to provide an official ruling.

Jonathan

Krieghund

Re: the Flying Tigers and Burma

Post by Krieghund » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:50 pm

Actually, Chinese units may enter Burma and Kwangtung, not French Indo-China. They may do so whether or not Japan and the UK are at war.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

jwingram

Re: the Flying Tigers and Burma

Post by jwingram » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:46 am

Thanks for both clarifications!

Jonathan