Allies winning all the time?

This game, measuring 35”x32” is compatible with the yet to be released Axis & Allies Europe 1940 game (coming in August 2010). This game includes newly introduced units such as mechanized infantry and tactical bombers.
Blitchga

Allies winning all the time?

Post by Blitchga » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:03 am

I have heard reports that the allies are winning all the time however, in my gaming group we are finding the opposite. If Japan plays it right it seems to be proving very hard to take them down. Granted the allies have always conceded before victory conditions were met but was understandable to say the least.

Is anyone else finding this?

Those that are reporting that the allies are usually winning, what is Japan doing?

WILD BILL

Re: Allies winning all the time?

Post by WILD BILL » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:32 pm

I have only played a few times. The first was just a trial end error game. As Japan I was very aggressive and attacked round #1. Didn't have to deal w/political rules that way, and we just wanted to see how the game mechanics worked w/AB & NB etc. Time didn't allow us to finish (3 player game) but in like rd 5 or 6 Japan seemed to have a big advantage. Honestly though IMO the allies made several mistakes. This is to be expected because the allies always have a much larger learning curve.

The next game as Japan I was more patient and didn't attack till rd #3. This allowed me to take down China very early and set in place a huge advantage against the UK, which also fell rather early. Japan used a smaller fleet to control the Indian ocean w/air cover. Japan got the New Guinea NO fairly early and could have got the other Dutch NO as well, but decided it was better to just park its fleet in the convoy zones. The Brits boldly took two of to money islands which ultimately aided in their demise. Japan also parked a huge fleet at the Caroline's (w/some air cover) that limited what the US & Anzac could do. There were several comments after about what a pain in A$$ that was. The US did develop a decent size fleet that rivaled Japan. The US AB at Pearl was loaded with US planes for defense, but still lacked an offensive punch due to the range of their air and not enough carriers. The same turn UK (India) fell Japan built an AB on FIC to land its surviving air force. This proved to be a good strat because it allowed them to get that stack (4 ftr, 7 tac, 2 bmr) to the Caroline's the next turn. By this time Japan was out producing the US & Anzac combined. They also had an over powering invasion force set up for Australia. There would have been a huge show down in the Pacific but Japan had a good size reserve fleet that the US didn't. Unfortunately my 22 year old had booked a flight to Arizona (Holiday break), and we couldn't finish, coward!!!!

I'm sure as time goes on the allies will catch up, but it is difficult IMO to chisel away at the air superiority that Japan holds, along with the amount of inf it has in Asia. Especially when you factor in there is no Russia to tie them down, and not much help for China against a very determined Japan. I think the allies need to put up a better fight in Asia instead of laying back trying get Japan to attack them first for political implications. Can't wait till next game when I'm allies to try different stuff.

oztea

Post by oztea » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:51 pm

The game for the allies in my opinion has a battle of the bulge syndrome, where you have to play a few turns against what you have been tauught. you have to back up places where you dont expect to, you have to push when you think you shouldnt.

Japan is overwhelming, but straight forward, you have no one to look out for but yourself, and alot of reserves.

Its still up in the air for me as to who has the advantage

Erik F

Post by Erik F » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:42 am

together with 2 or 3 friends we play 1 evening a week for years now
(classic , revised , europe , pacific , AA50)
just ordered the new pacific

In our experience the Axis mostly win
only if we try out some new strategy or with very bad luck the allies win

Or with Long Range Heavy Bombers and paratroopers combined - deadly combination

only in the original Pacific we do not see how Japan can loose with the victory points in the game

Erik F

dinosaur

Post by dinosaur » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:45 am

I think Japan will see a lot of unfinished games if they get off to a good start. I believe this will happen when the Asian Allied powers don't buy enough infantry to stay in the game long enough to be rescued. I think the Eastern Pacific Allies will have to learn how to optimize their subs and destroyers to mess with the Japanese so they can't get where they need to be for "another turn." For example, the US player should place a DD off Midway to prevent the Japanese from converging on Hawaii. This forces the Japanese to move troops to stack on the Carolines. Likewise, on turn ANZ1, they have to place a DD off of New Guniea to prevent a J2 invasion of New South Wales with a large enough force to hold Australia. I also think there are many possibilities for subs that haven't been discovered yet. They are clearly going to be the cannon fodder in the right kind of naval battle. It looks like it is going to be a great game.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:48 pm

Agreed, as the allies you need to buy capital ship early on (US), but the key is to buy a ton of DD's, and transports. You have to play a lot of cat and mouse games. Take islands, so Jap can't land. Use DD's to block attacks, or paths. Try and keep islands w/AB for better def etc.... With the Anz I like to build up air force. Because of turn order you can't can opener for the US, but you can play mop up with air/cheap ships. Once the US gets those 2 hit ships damaged, the Anz can make a difference. You have to take advantage of the 1-2 punch.

Builder_Chris

Post by Builder_Chris » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:19 pm

I’ve only played a handful of times myself, but I’ve had lots of time on my hands to study the board.

Knowing the board layout alone is a HUGE advantage in these games and the few times I’ve played the game with other players (besides myself) I’ve never lost. Granted those players had never seen the board before than, so that’s a huge help…but allies and Japs have won even amount of times this way...so far.

However, in my “study time” I’ve worked out a sequence for the Jap’s that is proving to be unstoppable; granted it’s always played out against myself. BUT...KNOWING “what the Jap’s are going to do” I still can’t find a way for the allies to stop them. In my study time; I’m pretty sure the Jap’s can’t be stopped.

round five i can have the Jap's collecting about 60 IPC a turn, two major facotryies on the mainland and afording to pump out 10 infantry and abotu 8 tanks each rutn, they steam roll over the little bit thats left of the UK in india and than Just when the US and anzac think they are going to make a differance, they finishis off the UK and turn full force back into the sea to rebuild their fleet. heck, i tried this sequence agaisnt a some players and when the Japs finished off the UK, they had 10 transports filled with 20 units poised to hit austreailan shores the very next turn.

maybe, with more play i will be proven wrong, but so far, the Jap's look to be unstopable.
Construimus, Batuimus -- "We Build, We Fight.".....we party all night!

Builder_Chris

Post by Builder_Chris » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:51 am

Well, i take back what i said about the Japs not being able to be stopped. It would seem that my "alone time" studying the board proved to be tuff to beat but now that i've played this game severl times against "real players"...the Japs are starting to find they have an eqaully difucult time at winning the game.

great game, great fun!
Construimus, Batuimus -- "We Build, We Fight.".....we party all night!