Mech infantry movement

This game, measuring 35”x32” is compatible with the yet to be released Axis & Allies Europe 1940 game (coming in August 2010). This game includes newly introduced units such as mechanized infantry and tactical bombers.
WILD BILL

Re: Mech infantry movement

Post by WILD BILL » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Krieghund wrote:The two units must move together in order for the mechanized infantry to blitz. That means the entire movement. It's not a two part move - it's a two space move.
I understood the OOB rule. I was questioning how it came about, and the new meaning of "blitz". Isn't the mech just a tag along OOB. It isn't blitzing the tank is. This change would allow the mech to move into a second tt (blitz) on its own as long as it started its move w/tank (wouldn't devalue tank, it is still needed).

My point wasn't as drastic as IL's. My point looked at the blitz mechanism. A mech inf moves into the first unoccupied tt w/a blitzing tank. It needs a tank to start the blitz through an unoccupied enemy tt (hence the value of the tank). My question was that once the first tt is flipped by the blitzing pair, why can't the mech split up from the tank and attack a different tt (now it was part of the blitz, not just a tag along). The first space of the move "blitz" is an immediate take over (the tt is now friendly). So the mech is moving to its second space from a friendly tt. At that point the mech should have the option of staying w/tank or splitting off on its own. In order to move 2 spaces w/mech in this situation you still need the tank to start out (tank still has value as being the only unit that can truly blitz by itself). Come on, open it up a little bit. Give the mech some options other then just a tag along (give mech more value w/o taking any thing away from the tank). If they could split up there is the possibility of taking 2 more tt. It could also save your tanks from being at the front if the mech could move through, leaving the tank behind (you enhance the value of the tank if its not dead). All powers could benefit from mech having a few options. Russia/Germany at the front. Japan/UK in Asia. Italy/UK in Africa. US when ever it gets to Eurasia etc...
It just makes sense IMO, and it seems like others want a little more out of mech too. At least acknowledge that what I said has some merit (will consider/test it). It seems that the term "blitz" changed a little when mech was added as a new unit. Its not like tech in AA50 that allowed reg inf to hitch a ride w/tank. You pay extra for mech in 1940, give them this extra option. They still wouldn't be able to blitz on their own, or take unoccupied enemy tt then retreat w/o a tank.
Last edited by WILD BILL on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:05 pm

Too me it just seems that not allowing it to blitz alone is "gamey"

Just like not allowing defensive fighters from AB to scramble to adjacent land areas, while they can scramble out of islands or into adjacent sea zones.

Rules to be KISS should just be more universal. If it moves 2 spaces, then let it move 2 spaces. If it can assist adjacent areas, let it do this for all types of adjacent areas.

The extra cost of 1 IPC for a limited extra movement bonus is not enough, and artillery don't interact with mechanized infantry in the same manner as regulars.

Mechanized infantry are men in halftracks, armored cars, and various other vehicles which are motorized just like tanks, and in fact move faster than tanks and have greater ranges than petrol sucking beasts.

Wild Bill's idea is too me not enough 'juice' ( i understand it) but yes it would be an improvement.

if a tank is 3-3-2-6 a unit at 1-2-2-4 could never weaken the tank.

The tank has 3 extra points of value for 2 extra cost 3+3+2=8, vs 1+2+2=5

8 for 6 and 5 for 4, the better deal is tanks.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:55 pm

WILD BILL wrote:I understood the OOB rule. I was questioning how it came about, and the new meaning of "blitz".
The meaning of "blitz" has not changed. It simply has new relevance with mechanized infantry.
WILD BILL wrote:Isn't the mech just a tag along OOB. It isn't blitzing the tank is.
Any land unit that moves into an unoccupied enemy territory then moves into a second territory is blitzing, as land units must normally stop as soon as they enter an enemy territory. The fact that the blitzing tank takes control of the territory as it blitzes doesn't make it friendly to other moving units, as it was hostile at the beginning of the combat movement phase. The order in which units move during the same phase is not relevant. If this were not true, any number of mechanized infantry could follow a single tank as it blitzed.
WILD BILL wrote:At least acknowledge that what I said has some merit (will consider/test it).
I'll think about it.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:27 pm

Krieghund wrote:
WILD BILL wrote:I understood the OOB rule. I was questioning how it came about, and the new meaning of "blitz".
The meaning of "blitz" has not changed. It simply has new relevance with mechanized infantry.
WILD BILL wrote:Isn't the mech just a tag along OOB. It isn't blitzing the tank is.
Any land unit that moves into an unoccupied enemy territory then moves into a second territory is blitzing, as land units must normally stop as soon as they enter an enemy territory. The fact that the blitzing tank takes control of the territory as it blitzes doesn't make it friendly to other moving units, as it was hostile at the beginning of the combat movement phase. The order in which units move during the same phase is not relevant. If this were not true, any number of mechanized infantry could follow a single tank as it blitzed.
To me the term "blitz" is a movement of a ground unit having 2 movement points, to take control of a uncontested enemy tt (no units/facilities) with its first movement point, then have the right to continue on into a second enemy, or friendly tt (including the tt it came from). In my eyes a mech isn't allowed to do this OOB by itself, so it really isn't blitzing. It is just a tag along, with the tank doing the blitzing. That really doesn't make much difference though as your interpretation holds much more weight then mine.

I wouldn't want a single tank to open the door for multiple mech (although some would argue that that should happen, or mech should blitz w/o a tank period). I would like to keep the tank/mech pairings in play. You have to have these pairings upon entering the first uncontested enemy tt. The only difference I'm seeking is that for each tank/mech pairing that starts out together, (enters/blitzes into an uncontested enemy tt using only its first movement point), that both the tank/mech are allowed to split up with their second move. This would include one of them moving on, and the other staying behind. Once the tt is flipped remove the restrictions only for the the mech that had the original pairings and moved with a tank. This would give the mech more of a blitzing feel IMO (although not the same as the tank that is allowed to blitz on its own)
Krieghund wrote:
WILD BILL wrote:At least acknowledge that what I said has some merit (will consider/test it).
I'll think about it.
Thanks, that's all I ask.
I would like to add that we all appreciate how both you and Larry have allow us to have a voice.
WB