Mech infantry movement

This game, measuring 35”x32” is compatible with the yet to be released Axis & Allies Europe 1940 game (coming in August 2010). This game includes newly introduced units such as mechanized infantry and tactical bombers.
WILD BILL

Re: Mech infantry movement

Post by WILD BILL » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:56 pm

Imperious leader wrote:Id rather see them as 2-2-2-4 units without artillery boost capability

or 2-2-2-5 with boost

They gotta attack at something more than 1
I guess your just going to have to buy tech in the global game IL. I'm not sure but I think mech is still on the chart isn't it? It may just improve it now giving it better attack value. Guess we'll find out at Gen Con.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:51 am

still on the chart...
I don't ever play with OOB tech or NO's

They don't make sence. Mechanized Infantry does not on a "technology" tree, as well as this so called "advanced artillery"

These "War Bonds" are pieces of paper that the public buy as a reinvestment of national capital. This is not technology.

Paratroopers are not "Technology".

People with guns are not Technology.

Getting paid 5 IPC over a totally destroyed battlefield that you just took makes no sence.

Just make specific cities/ objectives to be taken and worth variable points and impose national victory conditions that don't really require players to play as one and you got more variation in play and a 'race' kind of competition between players.

WW2 was a competition of who would dominate the world after the others were vanquished. Even Germany and Japan if they won would eventually fight each other, like USSR and USA almost did a number of times.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Larry wrote:I’m particularly interested in this question because I’m surprised by the confusion that I sometimes see about Mechanized Infantry movement. I took a good look at the rule book, and with an opened mind, tried to see if the rule book got this mechanic across or where it fell short…

Can a mechanized infantry move two spaces if not accompanied by a tank?
The profile on page 24 (AAP40) says a Mechanized Infantry can move 2. The answer must be yes.

i believe they can move two as long as the first territory is not hostile. You're right of course, but what does the rule book say…? Page 24 reads: – A mechanized infantry unit must normally stop when it enters an enemy controlled territory as the first part of a two-space move ( it goes on to say) that it can end in a friendly or hostile territory. I understand this to mean that a Mechanized Infantry can move two spaces but must stop moving when it enters a hostile territory, be it the 1st or the 2nd territory entered. "Hostile territory", by the way, means enemy controlled. It can be occupied with enemy force, including facilities, or not occupied and still be considered “hostile”. I also understand this sentence to mean that the Mech Inf. can enter a 2nd territory which would suggest that the 1s territory was not hostile, otherwise it would have stopped at that point as it NORMALLY does. All this is how a mechanized infantry unit moves normally. What does normally mean…? Well, “normally” in this case means without tanks. When moving along with a tank, it can enter an unoccupied enemy controlled territory as the first part of a two-space move. In contrast, it cannot move to a 2nd territory if it is not accompanied by a tank.

Our example-- I moved 1 mechanized infantry in combat through a territory I occupy, then stopped in a second territory owned by my opponent. Thus capturing it. Based on the rule book, I don’t understand how this can be justifiably challenged or questioned?
Krieghund/Larry
I fully understand that a mech can't blitz like a tank when by itself. I'm assuming that the tank and mech must start in the same tt. That you can't have them merge into the same hostel unoccupied tt from separate tt's then continue on into a second tt (please correct me if I'm wrong, or acknowledge that my assumption is correct).

My question is that if they start in the same tt (mech & tank) and blitz into an unoccupied enemy tt, why can't they split up after. I see above where Larry shot that down, I'm just trying to see the logic behind it from a game play view. My understanding of "blitz" is that the first unoccupied enemy tt becomes yours immediately when you enter it (now friendly, that the tank did the flipping, and the mech was just there for the ride). So why does the mech still need the tank to move a second time?

This is part of the the rule from page 25 (Europe)

"However, when moving along with a tank, it can enter an unoccupied enemy controlled territory as the first part of a two-space move that can end in a friendly or hostel territory."

This could be interpreted as it is a two sequence move (as it is). Where the mech only has to be accompanied w/tank in the first phase. Once the tt is flipped it immediately become friendly, so the restriction of pairing could be lifted. I don't think this was the intent, but it is two phases. It only mentions the pairing in the "enter" part, not with the exit.

A simple rewording would fix the intent, but I am wondering why the mech can't split from the tank once the tank flips the tt?
Last edited by WILD BILL on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:38 pm

The two units must move together in order for the mechanized infantry to blitz. That means the entire movement. It's not a two part move - it's a two space move.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Why was it done that way, meaning you got a 1-2-1-4 unit already when if it was 1-2-2-4, it would look balanced as its own unit. ( since you spend +1 IPC to get +1 movement)

What was the decision based on? Playtest? It just seems correct to just let them move two without any tank companion requirement.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:51 am

It can move two without a tank, as long as it's not blitzing. Allowing it to blitz without a tank would devalue the tank.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:24 pm

It can move two without a tank, as long as it's not blitzing.
yes i know.
Allowing it to blitz without a tank would devalue the tank.
Well if thats what you guys thought, then thats the answer. I disagree that it does since a 1-2 unit costing 4 IPC is not worth much for paying a 1 IPC surcharge for a somewhat limited extra movement point.

MY opinion would be to not give it artillery bonus, but give it a bonus +1 in attack if matched with a tank making the tank the replacement matching bonus component.

Then you have :

artillery boost inf
tank boost mech inf

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:00 pm

Delete see next post
WB
Last edited by WILD BILL on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.