SCENARIO ALPHA PACIFIC 40

This game, measuring 35”x32” is compatible with the yet to be released Axis & Allies Europe 1940 game (coming in August 2010). This game includes newly introduced units such as mechanized infantry and tactical bombers.
Cpt_Hellcat

Re: SCENARIO ALPHA PACIFIC 40

Post by Cpt_Hellcat » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:57 pm

Hello all - 1st post here! I've been following this and related threads here and on other boards for a while now and wanted to share a few thoughts. I've been playing A&A for over 20 years and I love these new additions to the pantheon.

I like the alpha set-up and the alpha+ changes should do a pretty job at balancing things out. I think the new proposed scramble rule makes alot of sense and deserves to be thoroughly tested before a verdict is given. It's likely that a few set-up tweaks will be needed after it's tested, though. Remeber it should help the axis defend their coastal areas also.

I agree that w. scramble 2.0 the kamikazes should be changed. A common strategy is to by pass the activation islands and attack Japan directly b/c the allied player knows that kami's will be activated by taking those islands. I think any allied ships in the sea of Japan should activate the option of kami's. They could also be boosted to hit on a 3 or 4 - right now on avg. they will only take out 1 BB or CV. They really are just not that scary.

I would use 6 VC's in the Pac. In reality Japan took 4 - if India & Australia fell it would likely have been considered a Jap. victory (likewise for Sydney & Hawaii, or HI & SF, etc.). In this case, Japan would need to hold them for a turn, though. Even w. the OOB set-up it isn't a slam dunk and w. Alpha it is an even fight. 7 VCs is everything except SF - I think that's too much.

Alternative Allied victory conditions should also be examined. Yes, if all 3 axis capitals fall it is game over. Mostly the victor can be projected before this is actually played out though. For example, if Japan is driven back after the start of hostilities and only has 1-2 VCs left it is clearly an Allied win. I liked the different levels of victory in previous versions, and it would almost always take us hours upon hours to even reach whatever the most minor victory was called. Something similar would suit Europe as well.

Lastly, one thing that bugs me in global is that the W. India IPCs go to London! I get it, but for global it makes alot more sense for the $ to go to the adjacent "capital" then to London. UK should get whatever IPCs from W. Canada instead.

Thanks for continuing to improve an amazing game.

Tagged
LHg

Jak o' the Shadows

Post by Jak o' the Shadows » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:44 am

OK, so the new scrable rule has the potential to help protect coastlines from invasion.......

I guess my main question is will the Euro Axis have enough planes to really use this? (Japan does not have to worry about it)

In almost every game I have either played, or seen played the Euro Axis can not afford to buy a large air force in the game. Italy may buy 1 or 2 fighters, but not too many more. Germany needs all the land units possible for fighting Russia and defending the coast. How will they afford extra fighters to keep in coastal bases? A 15 IPC air base is a waste of money for Germany.

I like the idea, I just feel that Germany and Italy need some more units to keep the game balanced. It feel that even before the changes Germany needed more units. The UK will often have a 6 + plane air force to use in its naval landings, and thats not even counting the USA. Germany has to also sacrifice its air to help clear out the Med for Italy just so it has a hope of surviving.
I like the actual rule changes, but some set up changes need to be made as well to keep balance, after all is that not the reason these changes were created in the first place?

calvinhobbesliker

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:48 am

Jak o' the Shadows wrote:OK, so the new scrable rule has the potential to help protect coastlines from invasion.......

I guess my main question is will the Euro Axis have enough planes to really use this? (Japan does not have to worry about it)

In almost every game I have either played, or seen played the Euro Axis can not afford to buy a large air force in the game. Italy may buy 1 or 2 fighters, but not too many more. Germany needs all the land units possible for fighting Russia and defending the coast. How will they afford extra fighters to keep in coastal bases? A 15 IPC air base is a waste of money for Germany.

I like the idea, I just feel that Germany and Italy need some more units to keep the game balanced. It feel that even before the changes Germany needed more units. The UK will often have a 6 + plane air force to use in its naval landings, and thats not even counting the USA. Germany has to also sacrifice its air to help clear out the Med for Italy just so it has a hope of surviving.
I like the actual rule changes, but some set up changes need to be made as well to keep balance, after all is that not the reason these changes were created in the first place?

Germany and Italy get 3 extra planes and multiple inf. Taranto is now impossible. What more do the axis need?

Jak o' the Shadows

Post by Jak o' the Shadows » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:51 am

Where is that listed? I did not see the addition of units.

calvinhobbesliker

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:51 am

Jak o' the Shadows wrote:Where is that listed? I did not see the addition of units.
Germany got another ftr and tac in Slovakia and Poland. Italy got a ftr in Sicily. As an above poster noted, Taranto is impossible with the scramble of 2 ftrs.

allweneedislove

Post by allweneedislove » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:00 am

Jak o' the Shadows wrote:Where is that listed? I did not see the addition of units.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4035&p=30928#p30928

Jak o' the Shadows

Post by Jak o' the Shadows » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:08 am

Yeah thats great, but where is the set up posted?

Never mind. thanks Allweneedislove