Simply stated, the following rules are the results of combining an adjusted Scenario Alpha with rule changes to Europe 40. These rules are therefore the new Global rules of these two combined games. This is to serve as a guide for playtesting. As a result of your playtest efforts this document will (perhaps) be changing periodically. All such changes will be entered in red. Be sure to check here for the latest changes before actually conducting a playtest.
Thanks for your efforts,
Creator of Axis & Allies
National Setup by Country in Turn Order
Holland/Belgium – 4 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 3 tanks, 1 Fighter
Western Germany – 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 4 Mech Infantry, 2 Fighters, 3 Tac bombers 1 AA gun, 1 Major IC, 1 Naval base, 1 Airbase
Greater Southern Germany - 6 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 2 tanks
Germany – 6 Infantry, 4 artillery, 1 Bomber, 1 Major IC, 1 AA gun
Slovakia/Hungary – 2 Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 Tac Bomber
Romania – 3 Infantry, 1 Tank
Poland – 3 Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter
Norway – 2 Infantry, 1 Fighter
Denmark – 2 Infantry
Sea Zone 103 - 1 Sub
Sea Zone 108 - 1 Sub
Sea Zone 113 - 1 Cruiser, 1 Battleship, 1 Transport
Sea Zone 117 - 1 Sub
Sea Zone 118 - 1 Sub
Sea Zone 124 - 1 Sub
Karelia - 2 Infantry
Archangel - 1 Infantry
Russia - 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 tank, 1 Fighter, 1 Tac Bomber, 1 AA Gun, 1 Airbase, 1 Major IC
Volgograd - 1 tank, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Minor IC
Caucasus – 1 Infantry
Bessarabia – 2 Infantry
Western Ukraine – 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery
Eastern Poland – 3 Infantry
Baltic States – 3 Infantry
Belarus – 1 Infantry
Novgorod - 6 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Fighter, 1 AA Gun, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base, 1 Minor IC
Vyborg – 2 Infantry
Amur – 6 Infantry
Sakha – 6 Infantry, 1 AA gun
Buryatia – 6 Infantry
Sea Zone 115 – 1 Battleship, 1 Transport
Sea Zone 127 – 1 Sub
Japan - 6 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 1 Tank, 2 Fighters, 2 Tac Bombers, 2 Bomber, 1 AA Gun, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base, 1 Major IC
Manchuria - 6 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AA Gun, 2 Fighters, 2 Tac Bombers
Palau Island - 1 Infantry
Kiangsi - 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery
Formosa - 1 Fighter
Shantung - 2 Infantry
Kwangsi - 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery
Iwo Jima - 1 Infantry
Jehol - 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery
Caroline Islands - 1 Infantry, 1 AA gun, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base,
Siam - 2 Infantry
Okinawa - 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter
Kiangsu - 2 Infantry, 1 Fighter, 1 Tac Bomber.
Korea - 4 Infantry, 1 Fighter
Sea Zone 6 - 1 Sub, 2 Destroyers, 2 Carriers each with 2 Tac & 2 Ftrs., 1 Cruiser, 1 Battleship, 1 Transport
Sea Zone 19 - 1 Sub, 1 Battleship, 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
Sea Zone 33 - 1 Destroyer, 1 Carrier w/ 1 Tac & 1 Ftrs.
Sea Zone 20 - 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport
United Kingdom (London)Atlantic side of map
Ontario - 1 Infantry
Quebec - 1 Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 Minor IC
New Brunswick Nova Scotia - 1 Naval Base
Iceland - 1 Airbase
United Kingdom - 1 Infantry, 2 Fighters, 1 AA gun, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base, 1 Major IC
France - 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank
Gibraltar - 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base
Malta – 1 Naval base
Alexandria - 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, 1 Fighter
Egypt - 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Naval Base
Anglo-Egyptian Sudan - 1 Infantry
Union of South Africa - 2 Infantry, 1 Naval Base, 1 Minor IC
West India – 1 Infantry
Scotland – 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter
Sea Zone 71 - 1 Destroyer
Sea Zone 85 – 1 Cruiser
Sea Zone 91 – 1 Destroyer, 1 Carrier w/1 Tac Bomber
Sea Zone 98 – 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport
Sea Zone 106 – 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
Sea Zone 109 – 1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
Sea Zone 110 – 1 Destroyer, 1 Battleship
Sea Zone 111 – 1 Destroyer, 1 Battleship
Sea Zone 112 – 1 Cruiser
United Kingdom (India) Pacific side of the map
Kwangtung - 2 Infantry, 1 Naval Base
Burma - 2 Infantry, 1 Fighter
Malaya - 3 Infantry, 1 Naval Base
India - 6 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 AA Gun, 1 Fighter, 1 Tac Bomber, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base, 1 Major IC
Sea Zone 37 - 1 Battleship
Sea Zone 39 - 1 Destroyer, 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport
United Kingdom – 1 Fighter
Malaya - 1 Infantry
New South Wales - 2 Infantry, 1 Minor IC, 1 Naval Base.
New Zealand - 1 Infantry, 2 Fighter, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base.
Queensland - 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Fighter, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base.
Egypt – 2 Infantry
Sea Zone 62 -1 Destroyer, 1 Transport
Sea Zone 63 – 1 Cruiser
Northern Italy - 2 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 1 tank, 1 Fighter, 1 AA Gun, 1 Airbase, 1 Major IC
Southern Italy - 2 Infantry, 1 Fighter, 1 AA Gun, 1 Naval Base, 1 Minor IC
Sicily – 1 fighter, 1 Airbase
Albania - 2 Infantry, 1 tank
Italian Somaliland – 1 Infantry
Ethiopia – 2 Infantry
Libya – 3 Infantry
Tobruk - 4 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 2 Mech Infantry, 1 tank
Sea Zone 95 - 1 Cruiser, 1 Battleship, 1 sub, 1 Transport
Sea Zone 97 – 1 Destroyer, 1 Cruiser, 1 Transport
Western US - 3 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, 1 Bomber, 1 AA Gun, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base, 1 Minor IC
Hawaiian Islands - 2 Infantry, 2 fighters, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base.
Philippines - 2 Infantry, 1 fighter, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base.
Midway - 1 Airbase
Wake Island - 1 Airbase
Guam - 1 Airbase
Eastern United States – 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, 1 AA Gun, 1 Airbase, 1 Naval Base, 1 Minor IC
Central United States - 1 Infantry, 1 Mech Infantry, 1 Bomber, 1 Minor IC
Sea Zone 26 - 1 Sub, 1 Destroyer
Sea Zone 10 - Battleship, Cruiser, Transport, Carrier w/Tac & Ftr
Sea Zone 35 - 1 Destroyer and 1 Transport
Sea Zone 101 – 1 Destroyer and 1 Transport
Szechwan 5 Infantry and one fighter
Hunan 2 Infantry
Yunnan 4 Infantry
Kweichow 2 Infantry
Shensi 1 Infantry
Suiyuyan 2 Infantry
France - 6 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 tank, 1 Fighter, 1 Airbase, 1 Major IC
Southern France - 1 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Naval Base
Normandy/Bordeaux – 1 Infantry, 1 tank, 1 Naval Base, 1 Minor IC
Syria - 1 Infantry
Tunisia – 1 Infantry
Morocco – 1 Infantry
Algeria – 1 Infantry
French West Africa – 1 Infantry
United Kingdom – 1 Infantry
Sea Zone 72 - 1 Destroyer
Sea Zone 93 - 1 Destroyer, 1 Cruiser
Sea Zone 112 - 1 Cruiser
National Objectives (Global Only)
When Germany is not at War with the Soviet Union
1. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for not being at war with the Soviet Union. Wheat & Oil trade.
When Germany is at War with the Soviet Union
2. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for EACH of the following territories, Novgorod (Leningrad), Volgograd (Stalingrad), and/or Russia (Moscow) controlled by the Axis.
When German is at War with the European Allies
3. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if there is at least one German land unit in an Axis controlled Egypt.
4. Collect 5 IPC per turn if Germany controls both Denmark and Norway while Sweden is either neutral or controlled by the Axis.
5. Collect 5 IPCs per turn that Germany controls the United Kingdom.
When the Soviet Union is at War in Europe
1. Collect 3 IPCs per turn for each original German territory the Soviet Union controls, if there are no units belonging to any Axis powers present in any territories originally controlled by the Soviet Union.
2. Collect 5 IPCs if the convoy in sea zone 125 is free of Axis Warships. Archangel is controlled by the Soviet Union, and there are no units belonging to any other Allied powers present in any territories originally controlled by the Soviet Union.
3. Collect 10 IPCs, once, for Soviet occupation of Berlin (Germany).
When the Soviet Union becomes at War with Japan
4. Collect 10 IPCs, once, and at the beginning of the turn following a declaration of war by Japan on the Soviet Union. (Modified 11/23)
When Japan is NOT at War
1.Collect 10 IPCs each turn that Japan is not at war with the United States and has not invaded French Indo-China or made an unprovoked declaration of war against United Kingdom/ANZAC.(re-written but not changed 11/23)
When Japan becomes at War with the Soviet Union.
2. Collect 10 IPCs, once, and at the beginning of the turn following a declaration of war by the Soviet Union on Japan. (Modified 11/23)
When Japan is at War
3. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if Axis controls (change 11/23) 5 of the 7 following islands. Midway, Wake, Marinaras, Iwo Jima, Caroline, Solomon Islands and Guam.
4. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for controlling each of the following Major power centers – Honolulu, Sydney, Calcutta, and/or the Western United States.
5. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for controlling all of the following territories: Sumatra, Java, Borneo and Celebes.
(The following NOs are only awarded to London)
When the United Kingdom is at War with German/Italy
1. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if there are no German submarines on the Europe map with the following exceptions: The Baltic Sea (113 -114 -115). The Black Sea (100) and of course the Caspian Sea. (modified 11/23)
2. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if the United Kingdom controls all of its original territories in North America, Africa, and Europe.
When the United Kingdom is at War with Japan
(The following NO is awarded only to Calcutta)
3. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if the United Kingdom controls all of its original territories on the Pacific map. This also includes West India (actually located on the Europe map). Note: The two Canadian territories (Yukon territory & British Columbia) located on the Pacific map are owned and controlled by London not Calcutta.
When ANZAC is at War with Japan
1. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if the Allies (Not including the Dutch) control Dutch New Guinea, New Guinea, New Britain and the Solomon Islands.
2. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if the Allied powers control Malaya and ANZAC controls all of its original territories.
When Italy is at War
1. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if Axis powers control all of the following territories: Egypt, Greece and Southern France.
2. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if there are no Allied surface warships in the Mediterranean Sea (sea zones 92 through 99).
When at War
1. Collect 15 IPCs per turn for complete control of the continental US and Mexico (WUS, CUS, EUS and Mexico). Note: All 3 Minor ICs in the continental US automatically are converted immediately to Major ICs when the US is at war.
2. Collect 5 IPC per turn if the Allies (change made 11/23)control 5 of the 7 following islands. Midway, Wake, Marinaras, Iwo Jima, Caroline, Solomon Islands and Guam.
3. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for controlling the Philippines
5. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for controlling Hawaii, Alaska, the Aleutian Islands, Line Islands, and Johnston Island
6. Collect 5 IPCs for turn for controlling Southern Mexico, Central America (Panama)and the West indies
Collects 6 IPCs per turn if the Burma Road is totally open. The Allies must control India, Burma, Yunnan and Szechwan for this to occur. China is also permitted to purchase artillery (represented by US pieces) if the Burma Road is open.
When France is at War
Troop Bonus: When the territory of France is liberated, for the first time only, the player controlling this territory immediately places 4 French Infantry units on it. (Modified 11/23)
Rules Changes that Now are Observed.
1. AA Guns are no longer captured; they are removed from play after the territory is captured.
2. Submarines no longer fire a special “sneak attack” shot at unescorted transports.
3. Major industrial complexes can no longer be built on foreign territories. Likewise they may no longer be upgraded when captured. The original owner of the territory may upgrade it if the territory is recaptured.
4. If the Soviet Union is at war with Axis powers on only one map, it is still under the restrictions of being a neutral power. In other words, war with Japan lifts those restrictions from the USSR on the Pacific map only, and war with Germany and/or Italy lifts those restrictions on the Europe map only.
5. Scramble rules have been changed. They now read:
Scrambling is a special action that can take place at the beginning of this phase (Phase 3: Conduct Combat (Powers at War Only), and it must be completed before any combat occurs. A quick reaction team of no more than 3 defending fighters and/or tactical bombers (strategic bombers can’t scramble) located on islands and coastal territories that have operative air bases can be scrambled to defend against attacks in the adjacent sea zones. Air units can only be scrambled to help friendly naval units in adjoining sea zones that have come under attack, or they can also be scrambled to resist an amphibious assault. They may defend against the enemy ships conducting the amphibious assault even if friendly ships are not present. In either case, resolve combat as usual during the Conduct Combat phase.
Scrambled fighters and tactical bombers are defending, so refer to their defense values and abilities when resolving combat. They can’t participate in any other battles during that turn, including a battle on the island or territory from which they were scrambled.
In situations where a sea zone is served by more than one airbase, Korea and Japan into sea zone 6 for example, each of the territories (or both in this case) can scramble up to 3 fighters and/or tactical bombers. On the other hand, if Korea is specifically being attacked by an amphibious force, and there is no sea battle occurring, only the aircraft in Korea can participate in the scramble.
To sum it up: If there is a sea battle, involving an amphibious assault or not, all neighboring aircraft that meet the scramble requirements can participate in the sea battle. If there is only an amphibious assault and there is no sea battle, only the territory be attacked from the sea can scramble up to 3 aircraft.
All scrambled air units must return to their original island or territory from which they were scrambled. If the enemy captures those locations, the units can move one space to land in a friendly territory or on a friendly aircraft carrier. If no such landing space is available, the units are lost. Surviving scrambled air units land during that turn’s Noncombat Move phase, before the attacker makes any movements.
6. Victory Conditions
The game now ends immediately after any one of the following occurs
A. Victory for the Allies if: All Axis capitals are under allied control.
B. victory for the axis if they control 6 of the 8 victory cities on the Pacific board. (modified 11/23)
C. victory for the axis if they control 8 of the 11 victory cities on the Europe board.
7. IPC income from West India (2) now goes to Calcutta.
8. IPC income from British Columbia now goes to London.
Note: With these income changes United Kingdom Pacific now makes 17 IPCs and United Kingdom now makes 28 IPCs
(Many edits after:) The new scrambling rules are great. There will be complaints, but if you stick with them it'll be a better game in the end. However, I couldn't help to notice that, with the N.Italy fighter being able to scramble together with the new Sicily one, Taranto has become impossible... Even if you bring in the carrier and the Alex fig., it's AC CC DD fig tac (12 pips, 6 hits) against BB CC SS 2 figs (16 pips, 6 hits). That seems a bit harsh. The UK should have a genuine choice between Taranto and pulling back planes to defend the UK (or sending them for an Egypt offensive). Taranto is out of that equation now, not very historical...
I don't see how it can ever be viable with that N.Italy fighter scrambling. Maybe removing the Sicily fighter/airbase and loading another UK fighter in the AC? In that case, the AC should be moved to SZ92 so that it can get out of the Med afterwards and the surviving planes (assuming the Alex one dies) land in Malta. In any event, if the Italian navy is getting a bump, in particular its 2nd transport surviving, please weaken the Tobruk stack... If Italy had those mechs/tanks they wouldn't have needed Rommel!
Lastly, maybe Midway and Wake should go back to the Hawaii NO block, otherwise Japan will only go for the Aleutians. That was the 'forgotten battle', not the centre piece of the Pacific war. If Midway and Wake are part of both the Hawaii NO block and the Pacific island NO they'll be given their proper place...
Don't get me wrong Larry, I'm very happy with Alpha+ (love the setup changes, in particular the tank in Normandy!) and looking forward to playtesting it. These are just a few things that stood out. Again, thanks for continuing to improve the game. No matter how much it changes, you'll never hear me complain about it!
I hear ya...
I have a question though.
Is it assumed that if you play Europe 40 on its own the OOB the setup is still preffered. Or do you use the Alpha setup?
Frankly, at this point I don't know... you tell me.
I'd like Eur40 to be setup as presented here in Alpha+, but I have not had a chance to study the impact some of these changes have had on that game (Eur40) yet. LH
does just the IPC income from West India go to Calcutta and British Columbia go to London? Basically I want to know if London can still build a minor factory on West India?
Thanks in advance.
A West India IC would have to be paid for by the Calcutta economy.
"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok
It has been corrected...
i can not wait to play test this. my first reaction is that it looks like axis have advantage. i am looking forward to finding out.
To add on though--ending the NO on turn 4, or specifying attacks on all of the Soviet Far East would be more of the spirit of maintaining the peace vs. breaking it.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests