European Map Design

The sister game to Axis & Allies Pacific 1940. Due out August 24, 2010
User avatar
Imperious leader
Posts: 5207
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:04 am
Location: Moving up to phase line red...

Re: European Map Design

Post by Imperious leader » Wed May 26, 2010 8:46 pm

Let's dissect this:

what's your translation? Maybe you can do better,
I already posted what the names of the territories were in a previous post. These are published from Rand McNally and another company dated 1940 and 1942. I also have one from 1943.


I have Russian maps from 1940,
This is your problem and it is not of our concern here because this map and the axis and allies games are published in ENGLISH, of which the world over is pretty much a standardized nomenclature when it comes to topography and regions and the representations found on most if not all cartography maps of this period.

that are good enough and a National Geographic map on Ebay can back me up.
There is no direct translation, you idiot.
When you start using this language your argument suffers.
I suppose you have a college degree, in Russian, am I right? Where's your college degree, show me? SHOW ME!
Masters in fact double major: History and Philosophy from Stanford University. Ever heard of it?

Oh and i have a minor in finance.

And knowing Russian wont help you, because we are talking about English maps, not Russian language.
You're a jackass. Where the hell is your knowledge?
Hey,
you're right it is Called White Russian SSR. Let's call it, you're right about that.
And this is what you frequently do... protest against everything i say... then agree with it in the end. Is this supposed to be some circular reasoning joke where at some juncture you wake up and realized i was right after all?

I only posted what is in my ENGLISH maps. If you want to take soviet era maps and just keep the language exact, then do that for every nation so its accurate. If your dealing with an ENGLISH map you will conclude that my facts are correct in every instance. I am only concerned with the truth of the matter and don't really need your 'added value' language ( profanity actually).
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Tralis
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: European Map Design

Post by Tralis » Thu May 27, 2010 12:14 am

Patchaman123 wrote:
Imperious leader wrote:
You use Google translator. They are correct translations, I'll call it White Russia. You can call it Moscow or Orel or Kursk territory,
I will be sure to pass the modern based translator to the makers of every map including ones published in 1939-42. Your defining truth based on what the internet says? How bout look at a freeking map?

No you can't bother doing that because obviously it would not support anything you say.

Translation program for google only gives you how it would read it in our alphabet, and not a correct translation as to its meaning using ENGLISH WORDS THAT ACTUALLY EXIST. Moscow, Orel, and Kursk, not Moscowkaya, Orelkaya, and kurskkaya.

Back then it was called White Russia and not Belarus.... Belarus and many of the other territories came into being as officially adopted English names only after Stalin left the scene and many not until the 1970's as they developed more unigue differences and contributions to the global market and didn't have close ties to the Soviet backed administrations. In time they became nationalistic and independent and didn't like using the names accorded to them from the parent "russian" and that made the translations officially different as well. But that would be on a modern map of Russia and not what you will find in 1939-42.

Hey jackass,
some words can't translate easily. Okay Mr. Linguist, what's your translation? Maybe you can do better, I have Russian maps from 1940, that are good enough and a National Geographic map on Ebay can back me up.
There is no direct translation, you idiot. I suppose you have a college degree, in Russian, am I right? Where's your college degree, show me? SHOW ME!
You're a jackass. Where the hell is your knowledge?
Hey,
you're right it is Called White Russian SSR. Let's call it, you're right about that.
And what are your credentials?
Your anger certainly isn't helping your cause. In fact, its kinda costing you my respect.

WILD BILL
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:24 pm

Re: European Map Design

Post by WILD BILL » Thu May 27, 2010 10:44 am

I think the animosities and ego's have taken over what started out as a pretty good thread. The last 10 pages have been nothing but badgering. Where is the admin anyway?

I don't agree with Patch many times, but I don't go out of my way to to antagonize him on his work, or thoughts. When he posted his map on page 29 (yea about 10 pages ago), I thought that's a lot of tt (kinda what IL orig said). It would be more of a Barbarossa themed game, and would be way to many tt for the Euro 1/2 of GL40. As far as the Russian names and what not, I don't see the big deal. I agree with the premise that AA is a game based primarily on English, and should carry that through.

I would like to know what % of AA games are sold in Europe, and Asia, vs the sales in English speaking countries (although English is a second language in many countries). I would find that interesting. Is there a market in Germany, Russia, or Japan where a map could be made using their native tongues, or would it be too costly to print separate maps. My first guess would be yes, but then there is the collector side of the equation as well, would people purchase it just to say they have it (IL would buy at least 5 copies each). Then there's the rule book, would you attempt to have it translated (Krieghund better brush up on your Russian :lol: ). Is/would the game be banned in certain countries? If the game is balanced, and both sides have a chance to win, is that considered politically correct?

Anyway my hope is that this tread cleans up its act, and people self govern themselves better.

User avatar
Krieghund
Posts: 2664
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: European Map Design

Post by Krieghund » Thu May 27, 2010 11:00 am

WILD BILL wrote:Krieghund better brush up on your Russian :lol: ).
Что заставляет вас думать, что я еще не сделали этого? :wink:
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

User avatar
Imperious leader
Posts: 5207
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:04 am
Location: Moving up to phase line red...

Re: European Map Design

Post by Imperious leader » Thu May 27, 2010 12:45 pm

We all should post in Russian language so as to remove any ambiguities and remove the need for translation. It might foster unanimity between posters who can argue about how Russian is translated into proper English. Either that or i will just make my map in pure Russian so translation would not run into issues with Google's online translator. Apparently, it has become the word of God over the published war maps of the 1940's. :idea:
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Patchaman123
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:46 am

Re: European Map Design

Post by Patchaman123 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:46 pm

Krieghund wrote:
WILD BILL wrote:Krieghund better brush up on your Russian :lol: ).
Что заставляет вас думать, что я еще не сделали этого? :wink:

Что заставляет вас думать, что я еще не сделали этого?

Why do you use in the plural in the sentence when if fact you're referring to a singular subject?

Следали would be the plural in the sentence because и is the plural of a Russian past tense verb.

Я следал. You would use Я следал because you are referring to Я which is actually a singular subject, Я mean I in English as in I went to the store.

So you would actually say, я еще не сделал этого?, because you are referring to a singular subject, Я, as opposed to a plural subject like Мы for example.

Your formation of the interrogative is questionable, because ли is used for an interrogative. So you would use ли for an interrogative.

а что я ли еще не сделали этого?

Forza
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:00 am

Re: European Map Design

Post by Forza » Thu May 27, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi guys!

I must agree with WILD BILL, this is getting ridiculous. As fascinating as Russian grammar is, could we just move on please? This truly has been an intresting thread, hope we could get back on topic soon enough...

Kind regards

Forza

User avatar
Imperious leader
Posts: 5207
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:04 am
Location: Moving up to phase line red...

Re: European Map Design

Post by Imperious leader » Thu May 27, 2010 3:15 pm

Hey i got two Forza Badminton rackets.

VS 550 and that new one that just came out. Do you play badminton?

You from Denmark?
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests