European Map Design

The sister game to Axis & Allies Pacific 1940. Due out August 24, 2010
Forza
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:00 am

Re: European Map Design

Post by Forza » Thu May 27, 2010 3:54 pm

Well Imperious leader as a matter of fact I do play badminton :D

I'm not from Denmark but I do speak a bit Swedish, that's pretty close...

User avatar
Imperious leader
Posts: 5207
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:04 am
Location: Moving up to phase line red...

Re: European Map Design

Post by Imperious leader » Thu May 27, 2010 5:29 pm

So your name is pretty much an acknowledgement that you use Forza products?

What racket you got and have you played against any pros?
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Patchaman123
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:46 am

Re: European Map Design

Post by Patchaman123 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Forza wrote:Hi guys!

I must agree with WILD BILL, this is getting ridiculous. As fascinating as Russian grammar is, could we just move on please? This truly has been an intresting thread, hope we could get back on topic soon enough...

Kind regards

Forza

Yes I agree.
This whole fighting thing is ridiculous and asinine.

User avatar
elbowmaster
Posts: 1559
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:20 am
Location: "western boogerland"
Contact:

Re: European Map Design

Post by elbowmaster » Fri May 28, 2010 9:52 pm

Please back to topic:

Refrain from insulting each other to death:

Eagle
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: Norway

Re: European Map Design

Post by Eagle » Mon May 31, 2010 9:26 am

Flashman wrote:
But am I the only one who thinks it matters that the Italians should have Axis symbols rather than Allied?
Italy need a white token with an axe on.

It would be wrong to give Italy a correct fascist symbol, since Germany dont use the swastika and Russia dont use the red star etc etc. So one axe on white background fit perfect.

Patchaman123
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:46 am

Re: European Map Design

Post by Patchaman123 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:30 pm

Eagle wrote:
Flashman wrote:
But am I the only one who thinks it matters that the Italians should have Axis symbols rather than Allied?
Italy need a white token with an axe on.

It would be wrong to give Italy a correct fascist symbol, since Germany dont use the swastika and Russia dont use the red star etc etc. So one axe on white background fit perfect.
Russia uses the red star, already in the game, or haven't you noticed. The Italian fasces does not have the same astigmatism the swastika has.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasces.


Usage

The term is related to the modern Italian word fascio, used in the 20th C. to designate peasant cooperatives and industrial workers' unions.

Numerous governments and other authorities have used the image of the fasces for a symbol of power since the end of the Roman Empire. It has also been used to hearken back to the Roman republic, particularly by those who see themselves as modern-day successors to the old republic and/or its ideals. Italian Fascism, which derives its name from the fasces, arguably used this symbolism the most in the 20th century. The British Union of Fascists also used it in the 1930s. However, unlike (for example) the swastika, the fasces, as a widespread and long-established symbol in the West, has avoided the stigma associated with much of fascist symbolism, and many authorities continue to display them, including the federal government of the United States.

We could the fasces and no one would really care because many government agencies use this symbol as part of the Roman symbol of unity and strength that the fasces represented.


I disagree with Eagle here.

Let's use 3 fasces like they actually used.


The original symbol of fascism, in Italy under Benito Mussolini, was the fasces. This is an ancient Roman symbol of power carried by lictors in front of magistrates; a bundle of sticks featuring an axe, indicating the power over life and death. Before the Italian fascists adopted the fasces, the symbol had been used by Italian political organizations of various political ideologies (ranging from socialist to nationalist), called Fascio ("leagues") as a symbol of strength through unity. Today, the symbol continues to appear on the seal of the United States Senate, the emblem on the back of the Mercury dime in the United States, the coat of arms of France, the wall of the debating chamber of the United States House of Representatives and the coat of arms of the Swiss Canton of St.Gallen.


No one would care if we used the fasces, pure and simple. It wouldn't evoke anger like the swastika does. The symbol is not banned in Italy at all.

Let's use the Regia Aeronautica emblem as it ACTUALLY was because it would be more historically accurate to the game and it would be an insult to Italy not to use it.

It's a fascist symbol sure, but the fasces does have the same stigma the swastika does. We COULD use the fasces and no one would care.

Really, no one would because Italy wasn't that significant of a player, except Mediterranean and Mussolini wasn't brutal as Hitler and the fasces is an ancient Roman symbol, no one would think to even ban it because of its historical Roman significance, Mussolini wanted to be Caesar after all. So, the fasces befit him in this way. It does have the problems the swastika would have and the fasces does have the same stigmatism as the swastika does, let's use it. A few in Italy would complain, but not many.

The Russian Air Force to this day still uses the Red Star on its airplanes, but the symbol is banned in Hungary for example.

The Red Star and the Hammer and Sickle are regarded as occupation symbols as well as symbols of totalitarianism and state terror by several countries formerly occupied by the Soviet Union. Accordingly, Latvia[citation needed], Lithuania[5] and Poland[6] have banned the symbol, while Hungary[7] has only the latter symbol banned. A similar law was considered in Estonia, but eventually failed in a parliamentary committee as too onerous for constitutionally guaranteed freedoms, most importantly, freedom of speech.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_star

We'd have a hard time here, but the red star is a contentious issue and I believe that these countries are right to ban such symbols because of the totalitarianism and communism associated with it.
Attachments
800px-Russian_Air_Force_Su-25.jpg
Russian Air Force plane. 2001, still using the red star.
800px-Russian_Air_Force_Su-25.jpg (67.31 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
200px-Italy-Royal-Airforce.svg.png
Italian fasces markings used by the Regia Aeronautica during World War II.
200px-Italy-Royal-Airforce.svg.png (7.76 KiB) Viewed 1533 times

calvinhobbesliker
Posts: 554
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:53 pm

Re: European Map Design

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:11 am

Russia uses the red star............with the Hammer and Sickle on it.

User avatar
Patchman123
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:03 pm
Location: Cochranton, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: European Map Design

Post by Patchman123 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:13 pm

calvinhobbesliker wrote:Russia uses the red star............with the Hammer and Sickle on it.
Yes, it does.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest