European Map Design

The sister game to Axis & Allies Pacific 1940. Due out August 24, 2010
Imperious leader

Re: European Map Design

Post by Imperious leader » Sat May 22, 2010 7:50 pm

I will shoot myself in the foot and have no reputation for good ideas now.
That might work if your living in Japan in the 1930's...

Its just function of try not to fly off the handle with the comments.

Everybody likes your ideas, just a bit elaborate for a game but nevertheless mostly accurate historically.

I can say that to include every territory only for the fact that it may have existed, and represent that on a map may prove a faulty design for AA. This may go for the South America idea, because as you may know hardly ever does the game involve this area of the map. Of course your representing all the various nations, but do you really need them and do they really add to the 'fun factor'?
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Patchaman123

Post by Patchaman123 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:35 am

Imperious leader wrote:
I will shoot myself in the foot and have no reputation for good ideas now.
Imperious leader wrote:We are not discussing where Stalin would locate his capital should Moscow fall.

I have no idea why your bringing it up and trying to prove this. Its common knowledge to any reader of the period.

Moskovslaya and all these other "skaya" endings are not proper English translations of Russian language.

Most of these most likely means "TERRITORY", though in many cases the names you provide are still not correct translations.

And as i said before Byelorussian means White Russia if you were a cartographer and in charge of producing maps in the English language.

The people who live here may have used this term, but the world of English peoples have always referred to it as White Russia until recent times ( after 1975).

Your Russian maps only show me what the Russians called their own areas and i am not interested in that.

Anyway the map is finished.
That might work if your living in Japan in the 1930's...

Its just function of try not to fly off the handle with the comments.

Everybody likes your ideas, just a bit elaborate for a game but nevertheless mostly accurate historically.

I can say that to include every territory only for the fact that it may have existed, and represent that on a map may prove a faulty design for AA. This may go for the South America idea, because as you may know hardly ever does the game involve this area of the map. Of course your representing all the various nations, but do you really need them and do they really add to the 'fun factor'?

Well actually,
for all those of who don't know.
about the Moskovskaya thing. I will explain. Moskva is the Russian name for "Moscow" the capital city of Russia, as you all know. Moskovskaya, is the adjective descriptor form uses to describe any object, or thing from Moscow.
For example,
Moskovskiy Metro, the Moscow metro, or Moskovski Gostsudarstvenniy Universitet., MGU, Moscow State University. Moskovski is used to describe masculine nouns in Russian as the adjective form.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/oblast
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D0%BE%D0 ... 8C#Russian
the f means feminine.

Russian
[edit] Etymology

From Proto-Slavic *obolstь.
[edit] Pronunciation

audio
Play sound
(file)

[edit] Noun

область (óblast’) f., области (óblasti) pl.

1. region, oblast
2. province, sphere, field (figurative)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9
http://masterrussian.com/aa041601a.shtml
http://masterrussian.net/mforum/viewtop ... =3&t=16895

-ская is merely a suffix for feminine nouns in Russian with a feminine characteristic for all those who have taken European languages, feminine nouns are nouns with feminine characteristics, for example Yubka, a Yubka is a skirt, and as you know skirts are worn by girls, so it's feminine.

Patchaman123

Post by Patchaman123 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:39 am

Imperious leader wrote:We are not discussing where Stalin would locate his capital should Moscow fall.

I have no idea why your bringing it up and trying to prove this. Its common knowledge to any reader of the period.

Moskovslaya and all these other "skaya" endings are not proper English translations of Russian language.

Most of these most likely means "TERRITORY", though in many cases the names you provide are still not correct translations.

And as i said before Byelorussian means White Russia if you were a cartographer and in charge of producing maps in the English language.

The people who live here may have used this term, but the world of English peoples have always referred to it as White Russia until recent times ( after 1975).

Your Russian maps only show me what the Russians called their own areas and i am not interested in that.

Anyway the map is finished.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D0%BC%D0 ... 0%B8%D0%B9

московский
Definition from Wiktionary, a free dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Russian
o 1.1 Pronunciation
o 1.2 Adjective
+ 1.2.1 Declension
+ 1.2.2 Related terms

[edit] Russian
[edit] Pronunciation

Audio
Play sound
(file)

[edit] Adjective

московский (moskóvskij)

1. Moscow, of Moscow

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D0%BC%D0 ... 0%B8%D0%B9

nominative моско́вский моско́вская моско́вское моско́вские
singular masculine feminine neuter plural

Nominative is the subject of the noun in Russian. Moskovskaya is the feminine form of the adjective used to describe feminine nouns like oblast, which is why I use Moskovskaya in front of oblast, because oblast is a feminine noun in Russian.

It would be proper grammar to do so. It's just proper grammar. It wouldn't be proper in English to say, America pie, when you're supposed to say, "American Pie" for example. In English, that never happens with nouns.

Why should I give you a Russian lesson? Let's just call it "Moscow" for our English users of Axis & Allies.

Moscow Oblast (Russian: Моско́вская о́бласть, Moskovskaya oblast), or Podmoskovye[11] (Подмоско́вье), is a federal subject of Russia (an oblast).

московский
Explanation of the letters. M is M. O is simple right? This is where it gets interesting.
C is S in Rusisan. в is V. и is pronounced like a e is in English, but it's transliterated like as i in English. й is often transliterated as a y or j, depending on linguistic spellingl. We transliterate it like y, in english because it sounds that way to us in English.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D0%B9

Russian
[edit] Etymology

From Proto-Slavic *(j)azъ < Proto-Indo-European *éǵh₂
[edit] Pronunciation

* IPA: [ja]
Audio
Play sound
(file)

[edit] Letter
Wikipedia has an article on:
Ya (Cyrillic)

я (lower case, upper case Я)

1. The thirty-third and final letter of the Russian Cyrillic alphabet. Its name is я (ja) and it has the sound of English ya in yard. It is preceded by the letter Ю.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D1%8F

Ya is transliterated form of that Cyrillic letter, so that's why spell everything skaya. You idiot.
So the transliterated spelling is Moskovskaya, there end of story.

Russian
[edit] Pronunciation

* IPA: [s]
Audio
Play sound
(file)

[edit] Letter

с (lower case, upper case С)

1. The nineteenth letter of the Russian Cyrillic alphabet. Its name is эс (ɛs) and it has the sound of English s. It is preceded by Р and followed by Т.

[edit] Preposition

с (со before words with certain awkward consonant clusters such as мн, вс, and сн.)

1. with (+ instrumental case)

с удовольствием (s udovól’stvijem) — with pleasure
с братом (s brátom) — with my brother
со всеми (so vsémi) — with everybody
со мной (so mnoj) — with me

2. from, off, from off, from below, because of, since (+ genitive case)

с почты (s póčty) — from the post office
с работы (s rabóty) — from work
со стола (so stolá) — off the table

3. for, about (indefinite time or number) (+ accusative case)

Russian
[edit] Pronunciation

* IPA: [v]
Audio
Play sound
(file)

[edit] Letter
Wikipedia has an article on:
Ve (Cyrillic)

в (lower case, upper case В) (italics: В, в)

1. The third letter of the Russian Cyrillic alphabet. Its name is вэ (vɛ) and it has the sound of English v. It is preceded by Б and followed by Г.

[edit] See also

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed May 26, 2010 10:18 am

Let's just call it "Moscow" for our English users of Axis & Allies.

Moskva is the Russian name for "Moscow"

The problem with the last two posts is that just what the Russians call it if they were to translate using our alphabet.

The English speaking world of which is spoken nearly everywhere uses an entirely different nomenclature to describe the various Soviet and post Soviet territories. In terms of a proper map based on the same we can all agree that all your suggestions have no relevance on a historical map of this period.

White Russia is still White Russia and not Belarus, which is more in line to what happened much latter when it became an autonomous state and sought it own identity.

All your other suggestions are also wrong and they don't belong on an accurate map. You keep using Russian based translations, but the English speaking peoples ( of which these maps are made) have no inclination to make these mistakes.

But of course you can call them as you please on your own map. In terms of a correct translation however they are mostly wrong.

That much is clear.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Patchaman123

Post by Patchaman123 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:09 am

Imperious leader wrote:
Let's just call it "Moscow" for our English users of Axis & Allies.

Moskva is the Russian name for "Moscow"

The problem with the last two posts is that just what the Russians call it if they were to translate using our alphabet.

The English speaking world of which is spoken nearly everywhere uses an entirely different nomenclature to describe the various Soviet and post Soviet territories. In terms of a proper map based on the same we can all agree that all your suggestions have no relevance on a historical map of this period.

White Russia is still White Russia and not Belarus, which is more in line to what happened much latter when it became an autonomous state and sought it own identity.

All your other suggestions are also wrong and they don't belong on an accurate map. You keep using Russian based translations, but the English speaking peoples ( of which these maps are made) have no inclination to make these mistakes.

But of course you can call them as you please on your own map. In terms of a correct translation however they are mostly wrong.

That much is clear.

Hey,
what makes you think you know the language?

You use Google translator. They are correct translations, I'll call it White Russia. You can call it Moscow or Orel or Kursk territory, BECAUSE THEY ACTUALLY EXIST. You're just talking out your ass again. You jerk.

Those are Wikipedia's translations and any dictionary would say that, and besides OBLAST CAN'T BE DIRECTLY TRANSLATED. :oops: :oops:

OH AND I SUPPOSE YOU KNOW THE LANGUAGE, YOU DON'T KNOW JACK! I suppose your professor emeritus of Russian, YOU'RE NOT. QUIT USING ONLINE TRANSLATOR!
You don't know SMACK, you're a crack addict.

A crack addict has more intelligence than you, those are ccrrect. Your google translator won't tell you anything, you're smoking too much in your clouds in your brain.
You're just trolling. Your goddamn trolling, and making little sense you pompous ass.
Your pompous ass can't even handle the truth or info that your brain can't comprehend.
Go ahead, sit on your high-horse and shit on everyone else, I don't care.

I'll call it in English,
Moscow, Kursk, Orel, Kuybyshev, Chkalov, let's add them as victory cities.
Quit being an ass,
You know what imperious leader, you're being an ass.
A total complete ass that won't handle new info. Why don't you quit being an ass?

I'll call it as I please,
you ass. My translations are right, SHOW ME YOUR TRANSLATIONS, then jerk.
You pompous ass.

johnnymarr

Post by johnnymarr » Wed May 26, 2010 12:00 pm

its at this point we probably should stop responding to Patchaman123. he has obviously lost it

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed May 26, 2010 2:25 pm

You use Google translator. They are correct translations, I'll call it White Russia. You can call it Moscow or Orel or Kursk territory,
I will be sure to pass the modern based translator to the makers of every map including ones published in 1939-42. Your defining truth based on what the internet says? How bout look at a freeking map?

No you can't bother doing that because obviously it would not support anything you say.

Translation program for google only gives you how it would read it in our alphabet, and not a correct translation as to its meaning using ENGLISH WORDS THAT ACTUALLY EXIST. Moscow, Orel, and Kursk, not Moscowkaya, Orelkaya, and kurskkaya.

Back then it was called White Russia and not Belarus.... Belarus and many of the other territories came into being as officially adopted English names only after Stalin left the scene and many not until the 1970's as they developed more unigue differences and contributions to the global market and didn't have close ties to the Soviet backed administrations. In time they became nationalistic and independent and didn't like using the names accorded to them from the parent "russian" and that made the translations officially different as well. But that would be on a modern map of Russia and not what you will find in 1939-42.

Patchaman123

Post by Patchaman123 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:51 pm

Imperious leader wrote:
You use Google translator. They are correct translations, I'll call it White Russia. You can call it Moscow or Orel or Kursk territory,
I will be sure to pass the modern based translator to the makers of every map including ones published in 1939-42. Your defining truth based on what the internet says? How bout look at a freeking map?

No you can't bother doing that because obviously it would not support anything you say.

Translation program for google only gives you how it would read it in our alphabet, and not a correct translation as to its meaning using ENGLISH WORDS THAT ACTUALLY EXIST. Moscow, Orel, and Kursk, not Moscowkaya, Orelkaya, and kurskkaya.

Back then it was called White Russia and not Belarus.... Belarus and many of the other territories came into being as officially adopted English names only after Stalin left the scene and many not until the 1970's as they developed more unigue differences and contributions to the global market and didn't have close ties to the Soviet backed administrations. In time they became nationalistic and independent and didn't like using the names accorded to them from the parent "russian" and that made the translations officially different as well. But that would be on a modern map of Russia and not what you will find in 1939-42.

Hey jackass,
some words can't translate easily. Okay Mr. Linguist, what's your translation? Maybe you can do better, I have Russian maps from 1940, that are good enough and a National Geographic map on Ebay can back me up.
There is no direct translation, you idiot. I suppose you have a college degree, in Russian, am I right? Where's your college degree, show me? SHOW ME!
You're a jackass. Where the hell is your knowledge?
Hey,
you're right it is Called White Russian SSR. Let's call it, you're right about that.