European Map Design

The sister game to Axis & Allies Pacific 1940. Due out August 24, 2010
justinroyek

Re: European Map Design

Post by justinroyek » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:00 pm

Well I do not like the current Axis & Allies map of the Soviet Union because I think that it's wrong. I have a map from National Geographic that says otherwise.

Untitled-3.jpg
My map of the Soviet Union around Moscow.
Untitled-3.jpg (218.17 KiB) Viewed 3176 times
Natgeomap.jpg
National Geographic map I brought from Ebay.
Natgeomap.jpg (172.66 KiB) Viewed 3176 times
Last edited by justinroyek on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patchman123

Post by Patchman123 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:24 pm

justinroyek wrote:Well I do not like the current Axis & Allies map of the Soviet Union because I think that it's wrong. I have a map from National Geographic that says otherwise.
The attachment Untitled-3.jpg is no longer available
The attachment Natgeomap.jpg is no longer available

Proof that Omsk territory exists. Contrary to what some say on here, the territories I list on MY map exist.
Omsk copy.jpg
Omsk exists on my map.
Omsk copy.jpg (218.83 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
Map 7.jpg
Yakutsk ASSR.
Map 7.jpg (182.16 KiB) Viewed 3173 times

Patchaman123

Post by Patchaman123 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:51 pm

I have proof of what I am talking about.
Stavoropol and Murmansk, and Georgian SSR all exist on my National Geographic map from 1944. My map confirms the locations I have stated in my previous maps.
Stavropol copy.2.jpg
Caucusus map from National Geographic.
Stavropol copy.2.jpg (220.37 KiB) Viewed 3109 times
Attachments
Central Asia.jpg
My map proving the existance of Kirgiz SSR and Tadzik SSR.
Central Asia.jpg (190.5 KiB) Viewed 3108 times
Euro%20names 6 copy.jpg
my new map design.
Euro%20names 6 copy.jpg (203.65 KiB) Viewed 3109 times

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Well at least you got rid of the 20 territories with the "Skaya" or "skiy" ending. I'm sure they were not on the map. AS for your first map, about 4 out of 6 were incorrect. Now it's almost like my map. Good Job.

viewtopic.php?p=25365#p25365
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Patchaman123

Post by Patchaman123 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:22 pm

Georgian SSR copy.jpg
Georgian SSR map. Georgian SSR exists.
Georgian SSR copy.jpg (135.32 KiB) Viewed 3058 times
Leningrad copy.jpg
Karelo-Finnish SSR map.
Leningrad copy.jpg (170.36 KiB) Viewed 3055 times

Kirov an Chkalov exist also.
Kirov copy.jpg
Proof of Kirov Oblast.
Kirov copy.jpg (212.01 KiB) Viewed 3045 times

AxisGirl

Post by AxisGirl » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:13 pm

these Maps are waaaay to big

Patchman123

Post by Patchman123 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:01 pm

Imperious leader wrote:
but it is nevertheless often translated as "area", "zone", "province", or "region".
'Territory' works too. It looks strange printing on the map area, zone, or province. Region is possible, but English maps use Territory so well go with that.

I don't have any maps that use these other terms.

Well, the Russian TV channel RT that broadcasts in English uses "Moscow Region" (Oblast) to talk about the Moscow territory. In Russian maps, Ohio is spelled Ogayo for example and Ukrainian has a different transliteration system than Russian and spelling system. I know that they were not printed this way, but Ohio is a state in the United States derived from
On December 5, 1936, Kuybyshev Krai was transformed into Kuybyshev Oblast (Russian: Ку́йбышевская о́бласть, tr. Kuybyshevskaya Oblast; IPA: [ˈkujbɨʂɨfskəjə ˈobləstʲ]) upon the adoption of the 1936 Soviet Constitution.[
Is this really a "false name" when Pennsylvania translated into English means "Penn's Woods?" from Latin. What about Alabama? That comes from a Native American name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samara_Oblast
Last edited by Patchman123 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patchman123

Post by Patchman123 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:27 pm

Imperious leader wrote:Well at least you got rid of the 20 territories with the "Skaya" or "skiy" ending. I'm sure they were not on the map. AS for your first map, about 4 out of 6 were incorrect. Now it's almost like my map. Good Job.

viewtopic.php?p=25365#p25365
Do you know that many famous people have these endings in their names? There's Chaykovskiy the composer or Dostoyevskiy, the famous writer or Natalya Poklonskaya, the infamous prosecutor of the Crimea.

Skiy is another way of saying the "sky" suffix because the -"ский" ending is spelled "skiy" because "с" means "s" k is obviously k, and и is transcribed as "i' in English and "й" can be either spelled "y" or "j" depending on which transliteration system you happen to use. In English, it is most often transcribed as "y" These names are not incorrect because they are native Russian names. Not to be confused with the letter "у" which is pronounced "oo" and spelled like "y" in English.

Anyone who at least knows basic Russian or at least studied in depth, like I have knows this. There is also "skaya" which can be also spelled "skaja" in other languages. This is the feminine suffix. Again, let me explain.

"с" means "s" k is obviously k, a is a, (obviously) and Я is transliterated and pronounced as "ya" in English. There is also Kristina Svechinskaya for example, who is notorious around the internet. She has that very suffix in her name and so does Svetlana Moldavskaya and Yuliya Sokolovskaya (Sokolovska) has this in her name.

Most feminine nouns in Russian end in Я, Ь. or a, but there exceptions, such as Dyedushka, but Babushka (grandmother, also the name of the famous headwear derived from this term) is feminine.

How many times do I have to explain to you about this?

There is also Dostoevsky and Tchaikovsky. Both names end in the famous -sky suffix and I am sure that you yourself knows some people with this suffix.

They are not stupid names at all. People use "Kray" to describe Primorskiy Kray for example. or Stavropolskiy Kray in Russia. It's just a name. Besides, American states, counties, and territories use foreign names, too. Puerto Rico, Cuba, Panama, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Mexico are countries that are derived from Spanish. Let me guess, these are "false" too because they are from Spanish?

Brazil comes from Brasil in Portuguese. Kiangsu comes from Chinese and Kiangsi comes from Chinese. These are the Chinese names for these particular Chinese territories that Japan just happens to be occupying during Global 1940.

Are you gonna suggest that they are false names, too?

What about Japan? That is derived from Dutch and it is used in German and Serbian to describe Japan. In Ukrainian, it's s'ka suffix to describe Ukrainian territories because Ukrainian spells things differently than Russian and these territories end in the soft sign, or myagkiy znak in Ukrainian and Russian.

France is derived from well, France coming from the French language. This whole thing is beyond ridiculous. This whole discussion is a waste of time.