AAE40: my take

The sister game to Axis & Allies Pacific 1940. Due out August 24, 2010
Imperious leader

AAE40: my take

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:17 pm

I got this game Friday night and immediately set it up and got my first real look at what this game was about. It was much better than AAP40 in terms of quality. The map looked nice and the player aids were thick like AA50 and the game had some real dice (not those dreaded “Halloween dice set” ala AA42. The new pieces are really nice and the color for the French is spot on perfect.

Unfortunately, some of the powers are short of pieces with UK basically close to depletion after her setup. Germany seems short of artillery, fighters, and bombers. This would be based on the remaining units in her box once the setup was complete. Too me this is not a great deal as I bought 6 copies and have many copies of the other games. I was very pleased that the rules did not contain typos and seemed to be presented quite well.

I really like that they included (I made this suggestion before) an official IPC tracking sheet that players can copy from the rulebook and print out to keep track of each players income gains and loses.

I setup these pieces and prepared what I consider the best German moves:

At first I didn’t consider Sealion because too me this is a “cheapo”, so I just played out perfunctory moves that seemed getting the best gains and avoided the loses from the exchanges.

Germany builds:
1 CV, 1 AP, 1 Infantry, 1 Armor = 30 IPC or better 1 CV, 2 AP!

Germany Combat moves:

1) Attack France with 5 Armor, 4 Mech, 2 Artillery, 6 Infantry, 1 Fighter, 1 Tactical Bomber, 1 bomber
2) Attack SZ 109 with 1 SS, 1 Fighter
3) Attack SZ 110 with 2 SS, 1 Fighter, 1 Tactical Bomber
4) Attack SZ 112 with 1 BB, 1CA, 1 fighter, 1 tactical bomber
5) Attack Yugoslavia with 3 tanks, 1 artillery, 10 infantry (try to kill 4 defenders and retreat—hit and run)

Germany NCM:
Transport 2 infantry to Norway (basic shuck: 2 Infantry Germany-Norway-Finland)
2 Infantry from Norway goes to Finland
1 Infantry in Romania goes to Bulgaria
Anything else not used into Poland

Germany placements:
CV in SZ 112 with 2 fighters on it, 2 AP in SZ 113 or 114

Now it was time to look at what UK might counter, as Russia is basically neutral for up to 4 turns:

Builds: largely dependant on outcome of naval battles around UK and the German builds. If they built transports, the threat of Sealion is real, so infantry are the best defense and we must consider all these German naval forces as a real issue. It seems like no matter what UK decided to build in terms of a naval force that this would be destroyed by all these German subs and surface forces….. so I must buy infantry. I got 29 IPC, but the possibility of a German sub remaining in SZ 109 costs me 2 IPC leaving 27-29.

I must build all the infantry I can… which is either 8 or 9 and nothing else in reach of UK to support it further.

The only real attack I can do is against Italy:

UK attacks SZ 95 with 1 CV, 1 CA, 1 DD, 1 Tactical Bomber, 1 Fighter. It does not make sense to also attack the smaller Italian fleet (the exchange on both attacks would largely remove my naval presence in the Mediterranean---which is a condition for Italian NO’s. Italy can’t counter my fleet in SZ 95 and must waste 10 IPC for a destroyer, of which I just finish off the next turn as the rest of the Italian fleet. Oh joy!

Then I began to look at how Germany follows up really anything UK CAN do and eureka!

Germany Just builds her CV and 2 AP on G1 and now has 3 transports:

She merely attacks Yugoslavia minus the 3 tanks/ 3 Infantry and moves them in West Germany

(Now it’s just 6 infantry and 4 artillery attacking Yugoslavia)

3 tanks and 3 infantry load up and land in UK along with the entire Luftwaffe, which is 4 fighters, 3 tactical bombers, 1 bomber, along with shore shots of 4 and 3 from Kriegsmarine.

UK defends with 3 fighters and 9-10 infantry total.

The result is UK MUST bring her fleet back to defend UK or Sealion will work.

This is how you save the Italian navy.
Last edited by Imperious leader on Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Zarnak

Re: Is AAE40 Broken????

Post by Zarnak » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:38 pm

Ignore the Italian Fleet. Move the destroyer and Carrier off of Gibraltar to SZ110 to block. Reinforce it with the BS and cruiser that were not attacked int SZ 111. Use the destroyer in SZ 106 and fighter support to clear out SZ 109 if needed. Reinforce UK with the canadian tank and inf in non-combat. Put two fighters on the carrier for two "four's."

I would buy a cruiser and 5 inf w/ the cruiser going into SZ110. It's not sexy but it should delay the Germans a crucial turn if they have their hearts set on Sealion.

Imperious leader

Re: Is AAE40 Broken????

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:55 pm

Actually, Germany has only 4 fighters. Not 6

The other thing is a buy of 1 CV, 2 AP really forces UK to bring her carrier force to protect UK to prevent Sealion.

The odds are real even if Germany wanted to go for sea lion ( i don't advise)

Failure results in a busted game for Germany ( for the most part)

The good thing of these builds is it protects the Italian navy, which is good.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Zarnak

Re: AAE40: my take

Post by Zarnak » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:24 pm

Getting the death grip off the Italian navy is key for a successful African campaign. My current G1 buy is three subs and a bomber.

I use two subs on SZ 106 against the destroyer and transport.
I use three subs on SZ 109 against the same.
I use all but two stukhas against SZ 110 to get the BS and Destroyer.

Those two stukhas assist against Paris. I like to walk away from the battle w/ the mech and armor intact. More options that way. Also up to 9 IPC interdiction from the subs.

Anways - I leave the German surface fleet out of range. I place the three subs in the baltic as well. The UK players has a tough choice in Turn one. He has a BS and three cruisers intact but nothing that can attack subs. I have the luftwaffe, six subs in strike range, two more by canada, and a BS and CA threatening the North Sea. He needs to come north with the destroyer and CV to avoid the total destruction of his fleet. If he does- we can go sink the Russian fleet so it's useful either way.

Piazza2425

Post by Piazza2425 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:34 pm

IL, just to let you know, those 3 tanks and 3 inf cannot be loaded up and moved until G3. To be loaded up and let of at another territory, that is their whole move. :o

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:24 pm

These units are moved on G1 and potentially ready on G2 for Sealion. Thats why the attack on Yugoslavia is minus 3 tanks and 3 infantry... they move to western Germany

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Another idea:

Because this creates a chain of events which is not good for the game:

Germany must build CV and 2 AP in order to protect Italian fleet and UK must go back to UK to protect from Sealion.

Perhaps rather Italy remains neutral till they start play and UK can't attack Italy. This is historical because Italy didn't not fight till it saw Paris fall and in the game that would not be before Italy had a turn to play.

Now Germany can buy normal units and does not have to 'force' the issue just to save Italy from losing her fleet.

I just don't like forcing moves and allow more options. It seems to me that the Italian fleet is gone unless sea-lion has wings.

calvinhobbesliker

Post by calvinhobbesliker » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:35 pm

Imperious leader wrote:Another idea:

Because this creates a chain of events which is not good for the game:

Germany must build CV and 2 AP in order to protect Italian fleet and UK must go back to UK to protect from Sealion.

Perhaps rather Italy remains neutral till they start play and UK can't attack Italy. This is historical because Italy didn't not fight till it saw Paris fall and in the game that would not be before Italy had a turn to play.

Now Germany can buy normal units and does not have to 'force' the issue just to save Italy from losing her fleet.

I just don't like forcing moves and allow more options. It seems to me that the Italian fleet is gone unless sea-lion has wings.
Huh? Italy declared war 4 days before Paris fell.