Submarines?

The sister game to Axis & Allies Pacific 1940. Due out August 24, 2010
Detuite

Submarines?

Post by Detuite » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:59 pm

I move a U.S. sub into a hostile japanese seazone containg a battleship and a cruiser. I do a successful suprise strike and remove the cruiser from play. Does that mean that my sub is fair game for the battleship to retaliate or am I safe from a deffensive roll.
But if they all run away i can't kill the rest of them!
Karsa Orlong

ozimek

Re: Submarines?

Post by ozimek » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:36 am

Yes. In the beginning of the pre-combat firing step you decide wheter to fight or dive. As you chose to fight that decision sticks until the next pre-combat firing step.

Note that any defending planes would not be able to attack your sub, as the defender doesn't have a destroyer.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:03 am

Welcome, Detuite!

Sea units that survive surprise strikes always get to return fire.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:38 am

I was just wondering why you chose to remove the cruiser, instead of take the hit on the battleship (BB)? The BB is a 2 hit ship, and would be damaged not sunk. You would have 2 shots at the lone sub from cruiser & BB (better chance of hitting sub). Was the BB already damaged?

Detuite

Post by Detuite » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:50 pm

Im sorry i must not have phrased that right. I am the U.S Sub I thought on suprise strikes the attacker gets to choose whats hit, am i wrong about that.
But if they all run away i can't kill the rest of them!
Karsa Orlong

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:44 am

Yes, you're wrong. The owner of the units chooses. The only time the attacker would choose is if the defending units are owned by multiple players and they can't come to an agreement about the choice.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

blckhwk18

Post by blckhwk18 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:50 pm

Didn't see this asked anywhere else and since this topic is about subs I thought I would ask it here. When a sub attacks another sub, there are no other units in the sea zone, can the defending sub immediately submerge or does it have to survive the attacking subs sneak attack first? I found a ruling on Wizards website for the Europe version that says the defending sub must survive the first sneak attack before submerging. I'm not sure if this is the 1940 version or the older Europe version. I think this is for the older version since it says 11/17/05 update.

Caractacus

Post by Caractacus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:11 am

blckhwk18 wrote:Didn't see this asked anywhere else and since this topic is about subs I thought I would ask it here. When a sub attacks another sub, there are no other units in the sea zone, can the defending sub immediately submerge or does it have to survive the attacking subs sneak attack first? I found a ruling on Wizards website for the Europe version that says the defending sub must survive the first sneak attack before submerging. I'm not sure if this is the 1940 version or the older Europe version. I think this is for the older version since it says 11/17/05 update.
As I understand it, subs always have the option to dive if there is no enemy destroyer around to force them into combat.

Therefore, you can't use a Surprise Strike on an enemy Sub (unless it chooses to stand and fight).

This, to my mind, is eminently sensible, as otherwise, given the cheapness of subs these days, players would buy these and not destroyers to sweep the seas clean of enemy subs, which would be bizarre...
Caractacus.