To many troops in France not enough in southern France?

The sister game to Axis & Allies Pacific 1940. Due out August 24, 2010
Detuite

To many troops in France not enough in southern France?

Post by Detuite » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:04 am

I was doing some reading on the german attack of france and the one thing that caught my attention was how fast germany crushed northern france. Although they had more casualty's then frances combined force. I was just wondering what you guys think of taking two inf from france and placing them in southern france because that is where the french army really shined defeating the italians and making them look foolish.
For gameplay reasons i think italy should have a harder time taking and holding southern france. Any thoughts on this. I tried it once germany still took france and normandy G1 and italy still took southern france on I1 but at heavier cost.
But if they all run away i can't kill the rest of them!
Karsa Orlong

13thGuardsRifleDiv

Re: To many troops in France not enough in southern France?

Post by 13thGuardsRifleDiv » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:09 pm

If anything, France needs an AA gun. Then I could also agree with giving Germany an extra infantry or two, or a tank.

And that 32 Italian divisions couldn't dislodge 6 French ones has more to do with the lack of fighting quality in the Italian army and the entrenched positions those 6 divisions were in, than with the super strength of any French force.

Detuite

Post by Detuite » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:34 pm

That was my point exactly in all the A+1 setups weve played the italians always take S France with min to no casualty's. The last game we voted to move two french inf from france to southern france it didnt make a huge difference Southern france still fell to italy but it cost them 50% more inf than it normally did.
Karsa Orlong

turner

Post by turner » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:37 pm

I don't think that there were that many troops in Southern France. The problem is in the South where Italy and France meet you have mountains coming down toward the sea. Nothing like the flat lowlands in Belgium/Holland where the main battles were fought in the North. Without some sort of terrain aided defense features in the game it just has to be chalked up to something you can't replicate with this game.

Detuite

Post by Detuite » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:22 pm

Good point thanks for your input
Karsa Orlong