Weak France!

The sister game to Axis & Allies Pacific 1940. Due out August 24, 2010
De Gaulle

Weak France!

Post by De Gaulle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:44 am

Why does France have so few armor? Statistically the French had roughly 1,000 more tanks to deploy than the Germans. I agree with the tiny French air force because this is true but why armor? Also shouldnt they receive some artillery bonus for the massive fortifications on the Maginot line? I dont know. Perhaps having France more powerful would unbalance the game. But still. Will there be an Alpha +3 with a stronger France?

Krieghund

Re: Weak France!

Post by Krieghund » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:10 pm

Welcome, De Gaulle!

The French setup represents the historical effectiveness of the French forces more than their numbers. It's difficult to represent the effect of the German surprise attack on France within the game system, so the choice was made to recreate it by reducing the size of France's military.

This is one of those instances where certain liberties need to be taken with historical fact in order to model what actually happened. While the individual components may not be accurate, the whole is. The historical reality that the French forces were decimated by Germany's initial strike is maintained.

If the size of France's forces were accurately represented, they would fight on an equal footing with Germany, which historically did not happen. The conquest of France would take enough out of Germany that it would have little hope of winning the game.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

De Gaulle

Post by De Gaulle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:11 pm

Oh that makes much more sense to me now! True the French were beaten pretty badly even with their superior numbers. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question, because it is one that has stumped me every time I play.

Caractacus

Post by Caractacus » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:49 am

Krieghund wrote:Welcome, De Gaulle!

The French setup represents the historical effectiveness of the French forces more than their numbers. It's difficult to represent the effect of the German surprise attack on France within the game system, so the choice was made to recreate it by reducing the size of France's military.

This is one of those instances where certain liberties need to be taken with historical fact in order to model what actually happened. While the individual components may not be accurate, the whole is. The historical reality that the French forces were decimated by Germany's initial strike is maintained.

If the size of France's forces were accurately represented, they would fight on an equal footing with Germany, which historically did not happen. The conquest of France would take enough out of Germany that it would have little hope of winning the game.

Absolutely. In addition, the vast majority of France's armour was split into 'penny packets' and assigned to infantry divisions. This meant that they served as support and stiffening for these troops and were in no way available for 'armoured operations' of the kind practised by Germany (and, later, others).

In our version of A&A we actually DO have a system to represent units that were below standard in performance (whether caused by poor leadership, poor training, poor morale, poor equipment, or any other factor or combination of factors); this we like as it means that one can have a large Red Army without ruining Germany's chances. Such units can be improved.

it would be possible to do this for France, too, but not for the standard game as many appreciate its streamlined and simple nature.
Caractacus.

Eagle

Post by Eagle » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:10 am

I think that with the current OOB set-up, France could get 3 more tanks and 2 more artillery, but then Germany need to use all their airforce to take France down, and they have to focus on France only. The UK navy would survive, and Southern France/Normandy would survive to next turn. It would be just like what happened in the real war. Maybe that would better.

De Gaulle

Post by De Gaulle » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:14 pm

I agree with you Eagle. The French will still be very weak but it would require more of an effort on the German player's part to take France. I think I might do that with my game next time and test it out.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:46 pm

Germany should have a choice either: go after UK fleet, or go after France, not both in the same turn.

Perhaps putting more French forces out of France so they can counter attack and make a German attack more or less equal is the key.

Problem is German air units just avoid france and fight all these UK ships, but they should be needed in France just to take it.

Also id like to see some more French units in the colonies.

They should have another tank and fighter and 1 mech and probably available for a counter, which forces the German to take with a good sized force.

I also think some concept of the Maginot line should be in the game, making infantry at +1 on defense in Paris.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

aaron91

Post by aaron91 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:24 am

But the maginot line was worthless since they invaded from Holland/Belgium. You have to be wary of making France to strong because remember if France hadn't screwed up so big the Axis would have had no chance in hell. So do you do France justice and let them rectify their mistakes made before or do you gimp them for gameplay. It seems like gameplay wins in this situation. Although I wouldn't mind a more realistic setup, test Germany to the limit!