First Impressions

The sister game to Axis & Allies Pacific 1940. Due out August 24, 2010
Imperator

First Impressions

Post by Imperator » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:09 am

I bought Europe 1940 and Pacific 1940 when they first came out but only now opened the packaging and examined everything; all I could say was WOW. As in both impressed and disappointed.

Game Board: The Good: The maps for both games are well done. I like the colors chosen and the style. Obviously the combined game is huge. It's the perfect size: big enough to have enough room for massive armies and to convey the size of the conflict but not too big to fit on an extended dining room table.

The Bad: Only nitpicky stuff here. The Europe and Pacific game boards don't quite match up colorwise and there is some warping. Not as bad as some of the Eagle Game boards but still annoying. Hopefully the warping will go away with time.

The Pieces: The Good: I love the fact that AA guns and IC have been replaced by counters. I never used them anyway because they take up precious real estate on the map and I know where they all are anyway. Tac Bombers are a nice addition as are cruisers. The thin cardstock for the counters is slightly annoying but I can live with it. The lack of paper IPCs is a slight nuissance as we actually use the paper money, but I already have plenty from the other editions I own. I grudginly agree with the decision to cut back on the counters and eliminate the IPCs as a way to cut costs.

The Bad: Huge disappointment here. The plastic units are of extremely poor quality, especially the Italians, French and Russians. The Italian infantry appear to be horribly deformed. Although there are more pieces than say the original 1st edition gamemaster edition, there appears to be less plastic overall. All of the units have been thinned out and the quality of the plastic is lower. This is very frustrating. Yes, I understand that the price of oil and therefor plastic is higher and that game manufacturers are reducing quality in order to keep prices from shooting through the roof; But this is not an entry level mass market game. I think the A&A fans that are the market for these games are willing and able to pay a higher price if it means getting the same quality of pieces as say the original A&A Europe.

The Rulebook:
The Good: Very nice artwork and presentation. Well written.

The Bad(Good): Seems to be a re-write in the works. Which is also good because Larry & Co. care about their work enough to fix the problems rather than pretending they don't exist.

Overall Impression: Impressive in its scope, disappointing quality.

Krieghund

Re: First Impressions

Post by Krieghund » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:07 am

We're glad that you like the things you like, and sorry that you don't like the other things. If your Italian infantry are that bad, it sounds like you may have defective ones. You should contact Wizards Customer Service, either on their website or at the mailing address on the back of the Rulebook. They may be able to help you.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Imperator

Post by Imperator » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Thanks Krieghund, I will check with customer service regarding my Italians. I really like the game and consider 1940 to be the best edition yet; so understand that my gripes were meant as honest feedback and constructive criticism and nothing else.

For the 2014 30th Anniversary edition consider finding a way to make the miniature cruisers more distinct from destroyers. On a crowded table they are easy to mix up in the heat of battle.

Another nice touch would be to include a seperate victory city counter to put on the general information track so both sides can instantly see how close they are to victory.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Imperator wrote:I really like the game and consider 1940 to be the best edition yet; so understand that my gripes were meant as honest feedback and constructive criticism and nothing else.
That's exactly how we took them. :)
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok