AAA on the offensive

The sister game to Axis & Allies Pacific 1940. Due out August 24, 2010
isaacc

AAA on the offensive

Post by isaacc » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:04 pm

I notice that AAA cannot move in the Combat Move Phase. So, one cannot take AAA along on the attack. It seems quite odd to me. I was wondering what the reason is for that, from the standpoint of the game's design.

I fully understand that A&A is quite abstracted. Having said that, the big AAA emplaced guns are accounted for in the mechanic of facilities having their own organic AA capability. I like that; I think it's really smooth.

So, I thought that the AAA units were the smaller mobile guns specifically meant to go along with the army providing AA cover as the army moves. And yet, the rules say I can't take AAA along on the attack. It just seems unthematic to me.

If AAA were allowed to come along on the attack, would that break the game?

I've been playing A&A off and on since 1981 but I'm brand new to the Global game. Kudos, Mr. Harris, for A&A40 Europe and Pacific.

Thanks.

Imperious leader

Re: AAA on the offensive

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:37 pm

I agree. They should move in combat and perhaps get to fire in combat at 1.

But the idea is attacking AAA guns would be used to hunt down planes in adjacent areas. Not good.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:47 am

Welcome, isaacc!

There's just too much potential for abuse in allowing AAA to attack. As IL said, you could make strafing attacks for the sole purpose of throwing shots at enemy planes. If successful, you could also then take the AAA as casualties, leaving most or all of your offensive units intact for a follow-up attack.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

SithlordRPGA

Post by SithlordRPGA » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:58 am

Couldn't this easily be avoided by the rule that say you can oly use AA guns on defense? I mean so even if I bring on in on the attack since Im on the offense I would not be able to use my AA gun.

Just a thought.

Caractacus

Post by Caractacus » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:19 pm

SithlordRPGA wrote:Couldn't this easily be avoided by the rule that say you can oly use AA guns on defense? I mean so even if I bring on in on the attack since Im on the offense I would not be able to use my AA gun.

Just a thought.
You mean so that you could select them as casualties, right?

Otherwise, it's the same if you move them in during Non-Com...
Caractacus.

SithlordRPGA

Post by SithlordRPGA » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:34 pm

There is one difference

If I could move them in in combat I could send them in on transport with amphibious assaults. Ran into this problem in yesterdays game/

STUrzKAmpfbomber

Post by STUrzKAmpfbomber » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:16 am

SithlordRPGA wrote:Couldn't this easily be avoided by the rule that say you can oly use AA guns on defense? I mean so even if I bring on in on the attack since Im on the offense I would not be able to use my AA gun.

Just a thought.
It´s not a good idea, to allow AAAs moving in combat move. For game issues, they should be considered like defenseless transports if you want to go in an attack with it.

That means, it should not be allowed using AAAs as casualties in a combat as attacker, cause that is not the sense behind them. These units are defensive units against air and nothing else, especially not some hit-soakers.

SithlordRPGA

Post by SithlordRPGA » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:37 am

I wouldn't even have a problem saying AA guns could only be sacrificed / used to attack with when on defense only since that is how they are meant to be used. Just let someone move them on attack but get no advantage out of it.

I agree for the most part this would never be an issue since you could just move it in after combat for land to land but like I said I would like to be able to send them in with the amphibious assaults.

I'm not trying to get more use out of the guns just get more options to move them.