Why Shinano?

Naval strategy and wise economic moves are both critical in waging this far-flung war across an entire hemisphere. To the familiar elements from Axis & Allies, Axis & Allies: Pacific adds convoys, island air and naval bases, kamikazes, destroyers, and the Chinese army.
Rising_Sun_Warrior

Why Shinano?

Post by Rising_Sun_Warrior » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:15 am

I was reading some threads from about 2 years ago (hey I've got time on my hands...) and I came across a discussion about why Hellcats AND P-38s were used in Pacific. Eventually the question arose as to whether or not the Japanese carrier piece was one of the last units molded. Well it got me thinking... If two air units for US were introduced in Pacific, I believe Larry said something to the effect of insisting that the two units be made for historical accuracy, than why, if accuracy was being stressed, was the Japanese carrier a Shinano class CV? There was only one such vessel, made from the hull of a third Yamato class, christened Shinano and she was sunk by a US sub before ever carrying a single plane. A better choice might have been CV Akagi. This was the flagship of Adm. Nagumo Chuichi, and continued in that role until she was scuppered at Midway. She's on the box art for Pete's Sake! It would have made the Japanese piece even more distinct from the Allied carrier pieces because Akagi's island was located on the port side. Only her and CV Hiryu sported this unique island arrangement.

Sorry, I ramble way too much.

thanks for listening anyway!
"In wartime the truth is so precious, she must always be attended by a bodyguard of lies" -Winston Churchill

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:17 am

I too have questioned these things.

I wanted the battleship to be a Kongo Class Battleship

The Carrier to be either Akagi or preferably Shoukaku class

I prefer Grumman Avenger to that horrible P-38... I have never even thought they used those things in the war until it was in the game. I really hate the look of a p-38... its too weird.

British battleships would be king george IV. Love the profile of HMS Rodney but it looks too French. Royal Oak is too world war one (old looking).

The germans should have gotten the sharnhorst or better the pocket battleship Graf spee. Bismarck was allready sunk by spring 42. The Graf spee has sister ships (hipper and admiral shear) . Tirpitz was a sorry state of affairs

The british soldier looks like he has a bad back and the unit does not stand up too well due to the center of gravity being on one side ( i know its minor but oh well)

The german eighty eight is too skinny looking and flimsey IMO.

The soviet player should have a unique artillery mold.

The british should have their own tank (matilda or churchill).. it makes them look like "hand me downs" for a younger brother.

The german U-boats look like toothpicks..... In this one case the 2nd edition subs look much better and stand up better.

Soviet Bombers are too large but its minor.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Rising_Sun_Warrior

Post by Rising_Sun_Warrior » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:58 pm

Agree on all counts.
"In wartime the truth is so precious, she must always be attended by a bodyguard of lies" -Winston Churchill

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:37 pm

US got two fighter molds ?

Chinese forces must use Russian infantry mold ?

templeton

Post by templeton » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:10 am

Imperious leader wrote:The british soldier looks like he has a bad back and the unit does not stand up too well due to the center of gravity being on one side ( i know its minor but oh well)
Plus I don't like to be the only nation in the game not wearing any trousers!!!

Rising_Sun_Warrior

Re: Why Shinano?

Post by Rising_Sun_Warrior » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:21 pm

Aww man, here I thought after all these years someone else had stumbled upon my old "Why Shinano?" thread... disappointing... I still think they should have used a Zuikaku mold... Just sayin'