Pacific has by far been my favorite game you have made. I can’t count the games I’ve played at Origins/Gen con/ and Spring Gathering./FLGS/school. Even if Yoper doesn’t like to play, it’s great.
I am very excited to see you are working on a combined Europe and Pacific. I did just that a few years ago and have played it extensively. I teach Junior High and run 2 game clubs where we play A&A (all versions) extensively. We even have people drive more than an hour every Friday to play A&A at our local store.
First I hope you are reading this and here are some things that work well in Pacific that I hope stay in some form.
1) Multiple victory conditions
. ( A MUST) I have read this post about making it VP only, however that will make the game stale. It is nice not to have the same strategy every time you play a game. Being able to capture multiple capitals in different directions, or VP’s makes this game have completely different strategies and every game is then different.
2) VP per round.
It makes every round count. This is important to prevent tournaments turning into a stacking fest and attacking only in the last round of time expiration.
3) Sub Stalling
. I have to say that it is nice to force combat rather than just ignore a combat unit.
4) Convoys and convoy zones
- This goes for Europe too. I like the convoy boxes of Europe and convoy routes of islands in Pacific. This is a must for anyone who enjoys Pacific and Europe.
5) Escorts/bombing raids.-
Keep fighters who defend and escorts, it really makes sense.
6) Japans first turn surprise
- Again it adds to Japans unique abilities that makes the game set apart from other versions.
7) NO Tech.
I like that it makes the game less “Luck” and more strategy. When one side gets lucky tech rolls and the other doesn’t early on, the game is to unbalanced. LEAVE IT OUT or an Option.
- You just can’t leave this out.
9) Shore bombardment
– allow all ships that can bombard to bombard.
Now some things I would like to suggest-
1) IPC’s at “large”
This means like in Europe give each side 12 or so IPC’s to buy and set out as they please in addition to the original set up.
2) Split IPC’s in the combined game
- make nations split their IPC’s among factories. Like you did for Australia/India in Pacific. Keep this and do it for America also. So many IPC’ for Eastern U.S. and so many for Western U.S.
3) No unlimited builds
- You shouldn’t skip one turn and build nothing, then on another turn build 30 units in one place. There should be the limited build factor per factory
4) Change cost factors to equal AA 50
. Many of us are getting confused with units costing different amounts in so many different versions.
5) Make China more playable
. It works OK in the current Pacific, but China doesn’t work at all in AA 50. I made them a minor player under the US control. They should be able to use US fighters brought over and become their units, or even an artillery or two? Not being allowed to ever leave the zones isn’t working well. I am not sure to incorporate them but they need a little more work to make it better. Maybe a 7th player? Very low Ipc’s but something?
6) PLEASE, PLEASE, make Italy in the Europe version.
Can’t tell you how many people enjoy having a third Axis player. It also adds some playability with turn order for both defense and offense.
7) Unique Italian sculpts-
Not just German reprints? Maybe??
National advantages for optional play.
We always let “newbie’s” have national advantages while we don’t use them. Gives them a better chance without altering the game to much.
Lastly, about 15 of us play every Friday night, we would more than happy to Playtest for you!!!!!!!!
I’m sure I will think of more latter. Now IL can complain about all my ideas.