Help! Rules debate

Naval strategy and wise economic moves are both critical in waging this far-flung war across an entire hemisphere. To the familiar elements from Axis & Allies, Axis & Allies: Pacific adds convoys, island air and naval bases, kamikazes, destroyers, and the Chinese army.
Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:06 pm

That's the thing - there isn't anything in the rules to support Rob's clarification. Control transfer of convoy routes and centers are mentioned in the rules only as a result of Combat Movement (page 11) and Combat Resolution (page 22). The idea that control is transferred to the player with surviving units in the zone is mentioned only in the context of the aftermath of combat (also page 22).

In addition, the explicit statement on page 24 that units may move into sea zones containing enemy-held convoy routes and centers without changing ownership reinforces the idea that only Combat Movement and Combat may result in such a change. It is also reinforced by the statement about subs starting Combat Movement in such a sea zone needing to use a movement point to capture the convoy.

Taken as a whole, these rules suggest to me that the only way to gain control of a hostile convoy route or center is by either executing a Combat Move either into or through the sea zone containing it, then winning any battle that may result from that move. This is also in accord with the "general principles" of the transfer of ownership in A&A games.

In my opinion, the idea that a naval unit may take control of convoy route or center simply by virtue of being alone in its sea zone at the end of another player's combat phase simply isn't supported by the rules as they stand. It can only be arrived at by an unwarranted generalization of the control transfer rules as regards Combat Resolution.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:32 pm

Kreighund,
I think you've got a solid grip on this issue and so many others. I also think you've got a knack for articulating clearly very complicated rule situations. This is a good example of that. Thanks for all your help. We are indeed fortunate to have your talents on this site.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:52 pm

Glad to be of help! :D

bkindt

Post by bkindt » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:11 pm

Where does one obtain a copy of the "Rob /DOI" rules for A&A:P?

Many thanks,

Ben

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:22 am

bkindt wrote:Where does one obtain a copy of the "Rob /DOI" rules for A&A:P?
Welcome, Ben!

They're actually commentaries on and clarifications of the official rules. DOI has always been proud of playing by the official rules as closely as possible. Unfortunately, the website seems to be down.

If you have questions, please feel free to ask them here. Most folks around here are friendly and helpful!

master_cyan

Post by master_cyan » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:49 am

Krieghund wrote:
bkindt wrote:Where does one obtain a copy of the "Rob /DOI" rules for A&A:P?
Welcome, Ben!

They're actually commentaries on and clarifications of the official rules. DOI has always been proud of playing by the official rules as closely as possible. Unfortunately, the website seems to be down.

If you have questions, please feel free to ask them here. Most folks around here are friendly and helpful!
thanks , i didn't know either.
"I would not fear a pack of lions led by a sheep, but I would always fear a flock of sheep led by a lion"-alexander the great