fighters

Naval strategy and wise economic moves are both critical in waging this far-flung war across an entire hemisphere. To the familiar elements from Axis & Allies, Axis & Allies: Pacific adds convoys, island air and naval bases, kamikazes, destroyers, and the Chinese army.
elbowmaster

fighters

Post by elbowmaster » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:00 pm

we often wondered about the two different types of fighters that came with the USA in pacific...

one was the p 38 and the other was the hellcat...

why two different fighters??? was there some rule that wasnt included or didnt make the cut that required two different types???

i dont even recall if larry harris made this version...

anyone??? larry harris???

not complaining about them, just thought it was interesting and im sure it was never answered officially when it came up at dons site...

thanks for your assistance

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:27 pm

Thats one reason why its easier to have a divebomber plane or naval plane since USA allready has one. Funny how its so difficult to make plastic molds and yet they just include this piece without any reason or rules to reflect the investment. Makes me wonder when they made all new molds for Axis and Allies Europe how that decision was made so easilly and now the cost of plastic molds makes it difficult to have but only 3 new units for Advanced Axis and Allies concept.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:21 pm

we dont have any real comments about the advanced game and new molds, that seems to have been beaten with a stick enough...

we were just interested in the 2 different types of usa fighter aircraft that came with pacific...larry harris doesnt say to much about pacific...

The General

Post by The General » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:38 pm

I seem to remember something in the rule book about giving the american player a fun option on which fighter to build but there was no difference in function.

in our Pacific gaming we have been using one fighter as a land-based fighter only and the other as a carrier-based fighter only. there is no precedent for this, and it has not even become a house rule since it only affects the american player. it was just our way of using the pieces in some way.

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:12 pm

The General wrote:in our Pacific gaming we have been using one fighter as a land-based fighter only and the other as a carrier-based fighter only. there is no precedent for this, and it has not even become a house rule since it only affects the american player. it was just our way of using the pieces in some way.
We do the same thing.

I seem to remember reading a post by Rob Daviau a long time ago suggesting that they experimented with rules for different types of fighters but dropped it. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, however.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:40 am

Ach! I keep forgetting I can't log on here with AOL! I went to edit the above post, but I wasn't "me" when I made it.

The post by Rob I was referring to was on Don Rae's boards, if indeed my memory is correct.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:01 am

yes i remember reading the land of the lost game enhancement at don's, it was asked to rob, but im pretty sure no answer...

just wondering what they were supposed to be for, the ancient missing rule...

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:03 pm

No lost ancient rules… The P-38 was the basic American fighter. I felt strongly that the US needed another type of fighter to be used on Carriers. A bunch of P-38’s would have been simply too ahistorical.

I had to pick and choose my “piece” battles with management. This is one where I absolutely insisted that this additional fighter was required.

If I were to do it over again. I would have used a 109 or 190 instead of the Stuka