Questions for AAP

Naval strategy and wise economic moves are both critical in waging this far-flung war across an entire hemisphere. To the familiar elements from Axis & Allies, Axis & Allies: Pacific adds convoys, island air and naval bases, kamikazes, destroyers, and the Chinese army.
Flying Tiger

Questions for AAP

Post by Flying Tiger » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:07 pm

Just got the game. Played 1 game as Allies, Iwas able to defeat my 12 yr old nephew quite easily(he's still learning)

1. Does Siam really not receive any units at the setup? Seems odd but it was not listed on my chart. Why?

2. I would like to keep revised and AAP rules as similiar as possible. IYO Would keeping Armor defending at 3, Fighters costing 10 ipcs, Carriers costing 16 ipcs, transports carrying 2 units instead of only 1 tank cause the game from playing the way it was intended or give 1 side an edge?

I'll have more questions as I play more, thanks guys.
Foolish mortals, I will destroy you all!!!
NOT

Krieghund

Re: Questions for AAP

Post by Krieghund » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:15 pm

Flying Tiger wrote:1. Does Siam really not receive any units at the setup? Seems odd but it was not listed on my chart. Why?
Interesting question. Maybe Larry can shed some light on it?
Flying Tiger wrote:2. I would like to keep revised and AAP rules as similiar as possible. IYO Would keeping Armor defending at 3, Fighters costing 10 ipcs, Carriers costing 16 ipcs, transports carrying 2 units instead of only 1 tank cause the game from playing the way it was intended or give 1 side an edge?
My guess is it would give a pretty significant edge to the Allies. Reducing prices on carriers and fighters would benefit the US far more than any other nation, considering its income.

Changing the transport and tank rules would also allow both sides to move more tanks into the fray, increasing their offensive power. However, I believe this change would also give a net benefit to the Allies, since India's defense may benefit from it as well.
Flying Tiger wrote:I'll have more questions as I play more, thanks guys.
Don't forget to check out the FAQ at Avalon Hill. I recommend using the corrected game setup found there, as the setup in the box favors Japan a lot. Even with that setup, Japan still has an edge. You may want to consider playing to 24 Victory Points to even things out a bit. Unless your changes above fix that imbalance. Let us know.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Flying Tiger

Post by Flying Tiger » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:59 pm

Sub stalling only affects the transports ability to load and unload? Is that the only advantage to sub stalling?
Foolish mortals, I will destroy you all!!!
NOT

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:08 am

No. It can also keep fleets from taking advantage of naval bases. Moving three spaces between naval bases is only allowed in non-combat movement. If there is an enemy sub in the sea zone with your ships, you must either move away in the combat movement phase or fight. Either way, you can't move those ships in non-combat movement, so you can't use the three-space move.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

robdunbar69

Re: Questions for AAP

Post by robdunbar69 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:11 am

Sub stalling is a tactic that makes this gm challenging however i have always felt that subs come to cheep i kicked out ships for newport news ship yards & liberty tranys where laid out at an amazing rate30piers,30hulls,30days subs took way more time&$$
Use it up,or wear it out,make it do,or do without