Bombers!

Naval strategy and wise economic moves are both critical in waging this far-flung war across an entire hemisphere. To the familiar elements from Axis & Allies, Axis & Allies: Pacific adds convoys, island air and naval bases, kamikazes, destroyers, and the Chinese army.
TMTM

Bombers!

Post by TMTM » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:55 pm

The US can win by securing one of there islands within reach of Japan... then just buy 5 bombers per turn! So if your Japan... you need to stop this!

GROGnads

It depends on which version you use, the 1st or 2nd.

Post by GROGnads » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:55 am

Japan needs to accumulate the 'Victory Points' as quickly as possible. In the 1st Set Up, they can attempt for 40 I.P.s and get '4' V.P.s during the very 1st Turn. In the 2nd one, they aren't able to, due to the removal of some pieces as a 'Game balance'. Check out the Variant on 'Victory Cities' instead of the 'Points' method. :wink:
"You had to 'GO'!?! Now we ALL have to 'GO'!" BIG Joe-"Kelly's Heroes"-the MOVIE

Patton_Master

Post by Patton_Master » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:46 pm

The US can win by securing one of there islands within reach of Japan... then just buy 5 bombers per turn! So if your Japan... you need to stop this!
I can think of half a dozen ways to stop it. I think!

GROGnads

still, TMTM is CORRECT

Post by GROGnads » Tue May 10, 2005 11:22 pm

I'd say that it is just one of several ways to accomplish it by constantly 'Bombing' the 'V.P.s' to below '10' or prevent JAPAN from continuing anymore. It might take some time and effort, but it can be 'pulled off' in any event. Being able to 'use' 75 $ will surely help if desired. Not bad at all...
"You had to 'GO'!?! Now we ALL have to 'GO'!" BIG Joe-"Kelly's Heroes"-the MOVIE

CanucKev

Post by CanucKev » Wed May 11, 2005 2:32 am

I have thought of this myself ... problem is that only the following are in bomber range to the Japan mainland (assuming the US controls them and can therefore make use of the airbase if applicable; also assuming the bomber lands on the same island it took off from):

Bonin Islands
Mariana Islands
Phillipines
Formosa

To me, it's logical that the USA would go for the closest islands - and since the Phillipines should be Japanese by the end of their first turn, that leaves either the Bonin Islands or Mariana Islands for the USA to capture.

I'm still assuming a halfway-decent and not incredibly unlucky Japanese player - so he should have wiped out all American ships around Hawaii, too.

All of the States' remaining transports are at least 2 turns away from those islands (and that's assuming Midway is still American, and can therefore use its naval base). Also, there should be a huge Japanese Navy in the way. If the transports leave ASAP, the most they have for protection is 2 subs, 3 destroyers and 2 fully loaded carriers - which isn't bad, at all, but it's spread out all over the board (would take time to get all that together) and it will likely have to go up against a much stronger force, when it does meet up. Finally, if the transports DO make it to those islands - which are only 1 or 2 seazones away from Japan, and hence easy to reinforce - they have to suffer through kamikazes, which allow the Japanese player to pick his targets. If all 3 starting US transports make it that far, it's not too hard for the Japanese player to target them, sink all the invading units, and forget about being invaded.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I don't see how it could happen ;)

GROGnads

For instance...

Post by GROGnads » Wed May 11, 2005 4:05 am

Well, considering that CHINA will want to do GOOD in the game, then a way of flying TO 'Japan' and then LAND in 'Chinese held territory' could help too! If you 'slack-off!' Taskmasters aren't getting your Troops 'motivated' to Capture the requisite places, then we can replace YOU with someone that WILL! This is an 'area' that truly needs depiction~the 'scale' that determines YOUR 'Fate' as a Commander! Were you?...decorated for distinctive Service OR...stood UP before a 'Firing Squad'?...maybe given 'Poison' AND a 'State' funeral?...could even have been 'Bunker~cide'!

Rising_Sun_Warrior

Post by Rising_Sun_Warrior » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:55 am

Even is you could quickly get across the board and capture an island to land bombers on oyu would need much more than just the bombers themselves. assuming that you land a sizable landing fore, say 6 infantry and several fighters, if Japan counterattacks and wins big you will have nothing to replace losses with due to having to take time to get the reinforcements over there. Also bombers defend on a terrible roll of 1, so if you took other units as casualties before the bombers in an effort to save them, then you are only setting yourself up to lose ALL of the aforementioned units. In short, US has a better chance to just force Japan into attrition battles since US can make good the losses and Japan cannot. Phew...there's my 2 cents...
"In wartime the truth is so precious, she must always be attended by a bodyguard of lies" -Winston Churchill