Expanding upon the GAME

Naval strategy and wise economic moves are both critical in waging this far-flung war across an entire hemisphere. To the familiar elements from Axis & Allies, Axis & Allies: Pacific adds convoys, island air and naval bases, kamikazes, destroyers, and the Chinese army.
GROGnads

Expanding upon the GAME

Post by GROGnads » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:25 pm

Hello folks, and here's a suggestion from myself as well as others, so they can 'chime' in on this to gain some credit where that is DUE! Just POST something and see if it 'flies' or not, have FUN!
"You had to 'GO'!?! Now we ALL have to 'GO'!" BIG Joe-"Kelly's Heroes"-the MOVIE

GROGnads

First off

Post by GROGnads » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:15 pm

I had made mention of this 'concept' on another FORUM, so here goes. How about some RULES on ''Building Air/Naval Bases" for this game? I put forth that this could COST '5' IPs per TURN to 'construct' and take '2' 'Consecutive Turns' to complete. This would consist of a 'counter' with appropriate symbols on the 'front & back' to display IT in one of the '2' states it is undergoing OR when it is completed. Someone suggested paying a 'higher' COST such as '10' IPs to 'hurry' this process up, and then it would be COMPLETE in just '1' Turn. I'd allow for this but as a 'caveat', then ANY of this kind of 'works' would ONLY be 'subjected to Interdiction' from the ENEMY, well after it was 'done'! By making these undergo a SET length of 'time' for completion, then it allows for something to be undertaken in response to that. IF the 'process' were to be interrupted by 'capture' of the AREA in which this was being 'done', then the VICTOR or 'New' occupier could complete THIS if they 'paid' the COST for, such as '5' IPs to reflect 'taking over' the construction, and it would THEN be completed at the END of the 'Current' TURN of ALL players. For the most part, it would be very difficult to conceal this kind of 'work' from spies and such, so it should be 'out in the open for ALL to see'. I would be willing to create these 'counters' with some assistance from others, and then YOU can print these UP where you want.
"You had to 'GO'!?! Now we ALL have to 'GO'!" BIG Joe-"Kelly's Heroes"-the MOVIE

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:34 pm

Its hard to qualify the construction of airbases and naval bases when the map allready has them printed on the map. I guess its good if you want add additional house rules . Remember we are dealing with a finished product. I like the rules in general, however. It seems more realistic. The counter to this is that many of the existing bases on the board were established long before the game starts, so i dont see many people building new bases,but the idea of attacking them is compelling, since they are useless untill money is spent "repairing" them.

GROGnads

Good idea, glad WE thought of it

Post by GROGnads » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:25 pm

Well, since you brought this up, then yeah it would be a decent IDEA to allow for ''Base Destruction'' or even ''Interdiction'' of these. Here's HOW it 'works'~if you wanted to 'take one out' then you'd ATTACK it like a 'regular' UNIT while even OTHER 'Units' are present, and any HITS upon that, are 'Damage' inflicted that have to be PAID off with IPs to reflect 'Repairs'. It did occur AND often, so why not?...and at this LEVEL that the 'Game' represents, where's the 'big deal' about it? It was KNOWN as a 'RAID' in case you were wondering and there have been many 'famous' ones, just look them UP! So I will 'expand' upon THIS in another 'entry' here, and thanks for the IDEA 'I.L.'

Rising_Sun_Warrior

Post by Rising_Sun_Warrior » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:38 am

There should be some way to knock out a base. I mean really, Rabaul was knocked off the planet by our planes and Truk was rendered inoperable for the rest of the war when our carriers attacked them. To reflect this there should be a "destroyed base" counter which would be put on top of the printed base on the board. After a certain number of IPCs are spent you would remove the counter at the end of your turn.

ps. It's probably a little late to be responding to this post but what the hay.
"In wartime the truth is so precious, she must always be attended by a bodyguard of lies" -Winston Churchill

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:49 pm

I guess it could be bombed and a counter used requiring the owning player to spand IPC to repair the airfield. This would only work on small islands while anything else would have hundreds of airfields. That utility of limited scope may be the biggest problem with the rule because it only applies in a few cases.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.