What's YOUR preference?

Naval strategy and wise economic moves are both critical in waging this far-flung war across an entire hemisphere. To the familiar elements from Axis & Allies, Axis & Allies: Pacific adds convoys, island air and naval bases, kamikazes, destroyers, and the Chinese army.
Rising_Sun_Warrior

What's YOUR preference?

Post by Rising_Sun_Warrior » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:36 pm

Just fishing for opinions here. Do you prefer to, as Japan, go straight for the jugular and attack India/Australia or do you prefer a long drawn out struggle with the US? Personally I relish the game of attrition and especially love it when my opponent falls into a trap. Mwa ha ha! So...what's your preference?[/i]
"In wartime the truth is so precious, she must always be attended by a bodyguard of lies" -Winston Churchill

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:47 pm

Personally I hate the game. AH in my opinion messed it up with the whole victory points thing. Not to mention the naval fights are kind of boring and slow. One reason why I hate Japan in the AAR. Even though I excell as them, the game is so boring, and by the time Japan gets something going, the game is over.

I played two games in which the German player had no clue what to do. And in the one game remained on the defense instead of attacking Russia. I as Japan had to do all the leg work and had to win the war for Germany by attacking Russia through the rear.

It is just something with Japan's location in the game which makes it hard for any ally player to do a constant back and fourth battle in the pacific. Unlike the Europe area where Russia and the Germans keep battleing back and fourth.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

Rising_Sun_Warrior

Post by Rising_Sun_Warrior » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:19 pm

The fact that if you are good with Japan you can dominate against novice Allied players is true. It can get boring at times when you win EVERY game. But by mixing it up with different strategies it can keep it fresh. The Victory Points system is flawed, not for trying to represent Japan's forlorn hope of a less than unconditional surrender, but rather the fact that in actual practice it just doesn't work. Of course a huge fleet anchored off Japan is not going to surrender just because Japan gets 22 "victory points" at the end of its turn, but you have to take the good with the bad.
"In wartime the truth is so precious, she must always be attended by a bodyguard of lies" -Winston Churchill

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:42 am

Against a good Allied player, an Australia capital capture is very unlikely unless he makes a mistake or has really bad luck. It is more of an opportunity than a goal, but there are steps you can take to be in a position to take advantage should the opportunity arise. An India attack must always be threatened to consume Allied resources in its defense, but short of an India Crush it, too, is generally a target of opportunity.

An all-out India Crush (which is a "do or die" strategy) has around a 70% chance of success with optimal Allied defense. This is boring to me, and is the main reason I created house rules for the game and never play by the box rules anymore.

Saburo Sakai has written an excellent series of essays on Pacific strategy. They can be found here: Wargamer's Club A&A Pacific Forums

All that being said, my general strategy was always going for a VP victory with a constant eye toward the possibility of ending the game with a quick capital strike if the opportunity presented itself.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

elbowsanchez

surrender dice

Post by elbowsanchez » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:28 pm

ever try this matrix?

Surrender Dice

ES
-The evil Bert & friend

Rising_Sun_Warrior

Post by Rising_Sun_Warrior » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:54 am

That Saburo Sakai is good! Sake toast for Saburo! 8)

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:24 am

I don't necessarily agree with everything Saburo says on strategy, but his essays are well-written and mostly on the mark.

If you want a Pacific challenge, try here: Days of Infamy
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:27 pm

You can play our Sakaisan at AxisandAllies.org. He takes on anybody.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.