Axis strategies. What works for you?

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
Whackamatt

Axis strategies. What works for you?

Post by Whackamatt » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:57 pm

Greetings, all. I have my annual “meeting of the minds” where we get together and play Axis & Allies and drink heavily. As I am one of two master strategists of the group, I try to stay one step ahead.

If you’re on this forum, I think it’s safe to assume you are like me and think about Axis & Allies strategies a lot. As I have yet to find a single guaranteed strategy, I believe the game boils down to the Axis players having several strategies they might employ and keep their opponents guessing, while the Allies must figure out how they’re trying to achieve victory to counter it. Thus any game could switch strategies at any time.
So I put it to this forum: What Axis strategies have you seen employed? Which strategies have led them to victory?

I believe any Axis strategy can be countered. It may take a few loses while you tweak out which Allied player needs to do what and when, but they have the ability to react to anything the Axis can do. Would you agree with this statement, or have you found that uncounterable Axis strategy? What’s currently working for you?

I ask because I recently tried something new and came up with an “all-in” Germany attacks Russia round 1. It led to several Axis victories in a row, and has taken hold in my playgroup as ‘the best’ Axis strategy. Well, I believe I’ve countered that strategy already, which led me to my above questions.

Captain Crunch

Re: Axis strategies. What works for you?

Post by Captain Crunch » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:18 pm

I just logged on to post a similar question and was surprised to see your post Whackamatt. Our play group is just starting to play again after a hiatus of a year, year and a half.

I am too very curious since I have not really played since the Alpha 3/2e rules have started.

Having said that, just how did you counter the all out blitz against Russia from Germany? I am curious.
Regards,
Captain Crunch

Take time from your busy day to play Axis & Allies and to eat a bowl of cereal.

MiniAlien

Post by MiniAlien » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:48 am

Hi!

I've recently played both the Europe and Pacific part seperately with the 2nd Edition Rules. But both times the Axis won. I think if you could combine the tactics I used on both games, then Axis should be able to win pretty well. Since the NO's of the US in Global is just +30 IPC's as a maximum, but probably just +25 IPC's (because the NO which requires a 1 United States land unit to be in France), in Global while it is +25 IPC's in Europe and even + 45 IPC's in the Pacific.
So that means that the US is a lot harder to play in Global. Further more, the NO of Russia in Europe (+9 IPC's for controlling Novosibirsk) isn't in Global either.
The NO's of the other factions haven't changed. So the Axis should have the advantage in Global.

What tactics did I use?

Europe:

I started building as much transports as I could in Germany. I attacked France with all the land troops I could bring there and tried to destroy all of the UK's naval units around the UK itself (so not the naval units around the Mediterranean and Canada) with all naval units and airforce units I could get there. The remaining airforce units that couldn't participate in the destruction of the UK's fleet were used in the destruction of France. I didn't attack any other France territories.
I succeeded in the destruction of the UK fleet (even with the UK using all of it's planes to scramble) and I invaded the Pro-Axis neutral territories in the vicinity during the Non-Combat Move phase.

The Soviet Union only built infrantry, the UK tried to get as many infantry back to the UK itself.

With Italy I first started whiping out the fleet of the UK and France in the Mediterranean, and although I succeeded, it could have gone the wrong way. But still, I got one NO for Italy, which is important in this stage of the game. I don't know if I conquered Greece in this turn or the next, but try to conquer it as soon as possible.

For the 2nd and 3rd, keep pressure on the UK with Germany and take the rest of the France territories in Europe and conquer the last Pro-Allies territories in Europe.

With Italy, make a big enough force to conquer Egypt for the 2nd NO.

Finally in turn 4 I conquered the UK with Germany, but if I had a little bit more luck, I could have taken it in the 3rd turn. At this point, Africa was almost empty with no UK units to defend it, because they concentrated everything on keeping London out of German hands. That way, the road was clear for Italy raging war on all African territories. I built a Minor Industrial Complex in Egypt to accomplish that (I think you should build one pretty early in the game!).
I eventually conquered all of Africa with Italy and meanwhile I was also sending units to the Middle East, because the Soviet Union was taking several neutral lands there boosting there IPC income.

With Italy concentrating on the Middle East and Germany able to start war at the Soviet Union, the US immediatly liberated London, but at that time it was too late for the UK to get enough income to save Africa from the Italian forces.

First the US started invading Africa, allowing Germany to concentrate their forces on the Soviet Union. At that time, the German transports I built to conquer London were back in the Baltic Sea and came in very handy in attacking the Soviet Union territories over there.

The US recognized this threat and started concentrating in conquering Norway instead (and thus cancelling the NO of Germany). But with the German transports intact and the German Airforce intact, the US had no chance keeping this out of German hands. So it didn't really matter. The US forces in Africa were also easily destroyed by the Italian forces who already had a huge income at this time.

It was just a matter of time before the Soviet Union would fall and it happened after really I don't know how much turns. It took a long time for the Axis victory, but I succeeded.

The problem for the Allies was: the UK was of no siginificant use after it was taken by Germany. The Soviet Union had to hold off Italian forces in the Middle East and German forces on the western front. And the US had to make a choice: attack Africa with all the units it had, or concentrate everything on western Europe. Either way, one of the Axis powers had a free run in conquering more and more lands, so one of the powers was unstoppable, whatever the US tried to come up with. The Axis had some downfalls now and then (even lost Western Germany at one point), but the Axis always struck back (Italy used there forces in Northern Italy to help Germany and retake Western Germany).

I will post my tactics on the Pacific board a next time, have to go now ;)
Hopefully this is usefull for you, you can always ask questions about my tactics!

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:00 pm

I would say that the UK invited Sea Lion when it scrambled its air force on G1. They can rebound from the navy getting trashed, but the Royal Air Force needs to stay intact for them to make an impact and keep their capital.

MiniAlien

Post by MiniAlien » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:45 am

Yeah that's true, but without scrambling there would've been nothing left of their fleet and it would leave the German fleet intact, while in my European game, almost all of the German fleet was destroyed as well.

MiniAlien

Post by MiniAlien » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:57 am

Now for my Pacific strategy:

I can be very short about the tactics I used here.
I really didn't focus on whiping China from the map, I just focused on getting as much troops as possible to the Burma road, ready to invade the UK's territories over there. Of course you need to be able to defend the other countries against the Chinese troops.
Have your fleet ready to start invading the Philippines and the Dutch Indies and if you think you're ready, invade the Philippines and as much of the Dutch Indies Islands in one turn. Then focus on counterattacking against the US's fleet and meanwhile use your land troops and aircraft to attack the UK territories.
I also built two minor industrial complexes on the main land, so I could get many land units to India in a very short time. That way the UK didn't stand a chance and the US was only busy building a large fleet to destroy the Japanese fleet. But they were too late to save the UK and Japan could build enough ships to destroy the American fleet, so the US had to start building a fleet over again.
Without the UK to worry about, Japan could easily overrun China and could concentrate on having the largest fleet in the Pacific, with airplanes divided over several islands. It was impossible for the US to break through there.
I also didn't have any difficulty countering the ANZAC power, cause they only built submarines to try to destroy Japanese naval forces when they had the chance, but with enough destroyers in the Japanese fleet, they didn't stand a chance either.

I think it's pretty difficult for the Allies on the pacific board to win, unless Japan really makes a big mistake (like having a small amount of forces in Japan itself, so the US just has to take control of the seazone surrounding Japan and immediatly start invading in the same round).

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:55 pm

MiniAlien wrote:Yeah that's true, but without scrambling there would've been nothing left of their fleet and it would leave the German fleet intact, while in my European game, almost all of the German fleet was destroyed as well.
With 2nd edition rules most ppl wouldn't scramble the RAF on Germany's first turn unless they go light in one of the battles. The UK fleet is expendable, the Royal Air Force is a necessity. If the Germans use their fleet to attack G1 (which consists of a BB, and subs because the cruiser can't make it) the BB will end up next to the UK w/o air cover and probably be damaged. IMO the UK is better off counter attacking the unprotected German surface fleet (BB) in that case using its preserved air power. Preserve the RAF or your capital is gone, plus it cuts your options down dealing with Italy. Your opponent played right into your hands by basically forfeiting the UK, allowing the Euro axis to dominate. I wouldn't expect that the next time you play him.

The UK needs to secure its capital, then turn its attention on to Italy (its boring, but better then the alternative). The UK is alone for a couple of turns, they need to pick their battles, run when they have too, and hold out until the cavalry shows up. The RAF can make Italy's life miserable (sucker punch), be used to fortify US positions, or fly to Moscow to delay the German assault. All are better alternatives to losing the bulk of the RAF in Germany's first turn to save a navy that you can rebuild with the help of the US.

It is just my opinion that your opponent made a rookie mistake by scrambling (something he will be more reluctant to do next time), I don't mean to come off as argumentative, and you took full advantage of his mistake (which is what you're supposed to do).

MiniAlien

Post by MiniAlien » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:12 pm

Guess that's true Wild Bill :)

Thanks for the advice anyway, I won't make that mistake if I were to play the UK now :P

But still, the tactic of keeping the UK busy with defending it's capital gives Italy the chance of taking Africa more easily. I think that tactic still works ;)
Or Germany should go all out at the Soviet Union, but I haven't tried that yet with the 2nd edition rules. In a Global game playing for the Axis I lost the game when I went all out against the Soviet Union, but I just couldn't break through.

As long as the US has to choose between attacking Italy or Germany and be sure it can't do both, is the best tactic for the Axis I think.