battleships - roll 2 dice?

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
grb1152

battleships - roll 2 dice?

Post by grb1152 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:45 pm

does anyone use a houserule that allows undamaged battleships to roll 2 dice? (1 die if damaged) i think there was an edition that used this rule, but not sure. it would make battleships worth buying. seems to make sense. at the start of the war, before they realized the strategic value of carriers, battleships were the kings of the sea. any comments?

Elrood

Re: battleships - roll 2 dice?

Post by Elrood » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:47 am

grb1152 wrote:does anyone use a houserule that allows undamaged battleships to roll 2 dice? (1 die if damaged) i think there was an edition that used this rule, but not sure. it would make battleships worth buying. seems to make sense. at the start of the war, before they realized the strategic value of carriers, battleships were the kings of the sea. any comments?
Battleships are good as they are.. :) I dont know of any edition were it worked like that.
Also I wouldnt boost BBs like that, in WWII the Battleship was shown to be outdated abd was succeeded by the Aircraft Carrier since it had much better potential. I like the way this fact is presented in A&A.

Turf77

Re: battleships - roll 2 dice?

Post by Turf77 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:07 pm

I absolutely agree with the above statement, and BB's were fairly obsolete in WW2, except for one thing...

I'm not a huge fan of rule changes for units, but I also don't like having units that no one ever buys, i.e. battleships.

So we give BB's 2 dice on shore bombardment only.

Another option is for all damaged capital ships move at 1 until repaired. That really seems to add to the reality of damaged ships - you either protect them with the remaining fleet, or scuttle them so the survivors can move more quickly.