Victory Territories

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
turner

Victory Territories

Post by turner » Sat May 03, 2014 9:09 pm

I have made a new list of victory cities. I think the idea of only having 8 victory cities on each side of the map limits strategies and makes the game last too long. With more victory cities you can have more options of where and when to attack and you can also encourage more historical play.

You can also have shorter game scenarios with round limits. Gain 12 VC by the end of round 5 or whatever you want.

The original victory cities had 8 with 6 or 75% needed on one board for an axis victory. I am leaning toward 20 with 15 or 75% needed on one board for an axis victory. Although I could see going to 24 with 18 needed on the European Board.

On the Pacific Board I have 20 victory (territories) cities. As you can see the Pacific Island Groups take their proper prominent place in the war.

The Japanese start controlling 6 victory territories.

1. Tokyo, Japan - Japanese capital
2. Seoul, Korea - Axis key city
3. Shanghai, Kiangsu - Chinese key city
4. Iwo Jima - Axis key island
5. Okinawa - Axis key island
6. Caroline Islands - Axis key island group

Russia holds one at start.

7a. Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy, Soviet Far East - Russian Key City
7b. Vladistovok could be substituted but is right next to Manchuria

China holds one at start.
8. Chengdu, Szchwan - Chinese key city

ANZAC holds three territories to start.

9. Auckland, New Zealand - New Zealand Capital
10. Sydney, New South Wales -Allied key city (ANZAC Capital for Game Purposes)
11. Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands - Allied key Island

UK India holds 4 at the start. (5 in PAC40)

12. Hong Kong, Kwangtung - Allied Key City
13. Borneo - Allied key island.
14. Calcutta, India - UK India Capital
15a. Singapore, Malaya - Allied key city
15b. Rangoon, Burma - Allied key city (This is added when playing only PAC 40 removing the Russian key city.)

The United States holds 5 to start.

16. Wake Island - Allied key island
17. Honolulu, Hawaii - Allied key city
18. Midway Island - Allied key island
19. Aleutian Islands - Allied key islands
20. Manilla, Phillipines - Allied key city.

On the European Board I have the following 20 Cities (Territories) I am questioning a few of these. They are marked with asterisks.

Germany starts controlling 5 Territories.

1. Berlin, Germany - German capital
2. Hamburg, West Germany - Axis key city
3. Bucharest, Romania - Axis key city
*4. Oslo, Norway - Axis key city (also considered Helsinki, Stockholm or Glasgow)
5. Warsaw, Poland - Axis key city

Italy starts controlling 2 Territories.

6. Rome, Southern Italy - Italian Capital
7. Tobruk - Axis key city

France starts controlling 2 Territories.

8. Paris, France - French capital
*9. Algiers, Algeria - Allied key city (Also considered Casablanca, Madrid or Gibralter)

USSR controls 5 territories to start.

10. Baku, Caucusus - Russian key city
11. Kiev, Western Ukraine - Russian key city
12. Stalingrad, Volg0grad - Russian key city
13. Moscow, Russia - Russian Capital
14. Leningrad, Novgorod - Russian key city

United Kingdom controls 6 to start.

15. London, United Kingdom - UK capital
16. Cairo, Egypt - allied key city
*17. Malta - allied key island (Also considered Sicily)
18. Johannesburgh, South Africa - Allied key city
*19. Baghdad, Iraq - key city (Also considered Tehran, Istanbul or Jerusalem)
20. Bombay, West India - allied key city

Others that I considered for the European board were:
1. Stockholm, Sweden
2. Jerusalem
3. Tehran
4. Istanbul, Turkey
5. Madrid, Spain
6. Gibralter
7. Glasgow, Scotland
8. Helsinki, Finland
9. Sicily

I think these encourage attacks in all directions and discourage ignoring one power or another as all powers except the Eastern United States have a valid target. Do you think 15 in any one area are unachieveable or too easy?

Craig A Yope

Re: Victory Territories

Post by Craig A Yope » Mon May 05, 2014 9:12 am

I agree that more VCs do allow for a greater variety of game play and paths to victory. I did the same thing for Revised with my Victory Territory (VT) system:
Adjudication System-
The determination of who wins a tournament game will be based upon the control of Victory Territories (VTs). The Victory City method of determining a winner will NOT be used. Each side controls 12 Victory Territories at the beginning of the game. The Victory Territories are listed below.

AXIS POWERS

GERMANY
Germany
Western Europe
Southern Europe
Eastern Europe
Ukraine SSR
Norway

JAPAN
Japan
Manchuria
French Indochina
Philippine Islands
East Indies
Borneo

ALLIED POWERS

USSR
Russia
Caucasus
Archangel
Novosibirsk

UK
United Kingdom
India
Anglo-Egypt
Australia

USA
Eastern US
Western US
Hawaiian Islands
Sinkiang

If a player holds 18 (or more) VTs for a full round of game play (From the end of a country's turn to the beginning of that same country's next turn.), then that player automatically wins the game.

In the event of a VT tie at the end of the game, whichever side increased its IPC total is the winner. If the game is still tied after reviewing the IPC totals, then the GM will make a determination of the winner based upon the game situation at the time the game ended.
Right now my gaming group is playing another game that is similar to A&A but a bit more advanced. It has a VC system that not only has more cities as important places but it also gives a varying value (1, 2, or 3 points) to the different ones. It is a further nuance for distinguishing between the various cities and their importance.

The biggest issue I would have with some of your choices is when you start assigning VCs to a power that aren't actually a part of their empire- be they a neutral powers city or even a city owned by an enemy.

How can Glasgow be a VC for the Axis but not one for the UK? Or Sicily for the Allies but not for Italy?

Assign the logical ones for each power and also sprinkle in a certain amount of VCs in the neutral powers, Then come up with a value that works as an attainable victory threshold. Or come up with a workable threshold and tailor your VCs to that amount. I would go with the first idea- the various strategic places are pretty self-evident- but that is up to you.

turner

Post by turner » Tue May 06, 2014 7:20 am

thanks Yope.

The labels on the vc's just show why they were important, so for instance,
Malta was important because it was a key Allied island. All of the vc's are targets and count for both Axis and Allied totals.

When I listed the four cities together (Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Glasgow) I was just listing together a group that I chose from. I was not saying Glasgow was an Axis city, I was just saying I wanted a Northern European city and I chose from the four listed.

Craig A Yope

Post by Craig A Yope » Wed May 07, 2014 3:54 pm

turner wrote:thanks Yope.

The labels on the vc's just show why they were important, so for instance,
Malta was important because it was a key Allied island. All of the vc's are targets and count for both Axis and Allied totals.

When I listed the four cities together (Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Glasgow) I was just listing together a group that I chose from. I was not saying Glasgow was an Axis city, I was just saying I wanted a Northern European city and I chose from the four listed.
My comment was based on your list below:
Germany starts controlling 5 Territories.

1. Berlin, Germany - German capital
2. Hamburg, West Germany - Axis key city
3. Bucharest, Romania - Axis key city
*4. Oslo, Norway - Axis key city (also considered Helsinki, Stockholm or Glasgow)
5. Warsaw, Poland - Axis key city
Oslo makes sense since it starts as a German held territory. Depending on one's starting point ('40, '41, or '42) Helsinki is either neutral or German controlled so placing it under the German category is an "iffy" call. Stockholm is clearly neutral. And as I was pointing out, Glasgow is clearly UK held.

Yes, they are all good VCs and all should be a part of the game. I was just pointing out the inconsistency of listing them under the Germany heading.