Alpha+.2

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
Krieghund

Re: Alpha+.2

Post by Krieghund » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:28 am

You never know.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:10 pm

Cmdr Jennifer wrote:
Krieghund wrote:The US can choose who to let through.

I am not really sure why this is in the game. Is there a situation in which America or Germany might want to let the enemy's ships through their controlled sea zones like Panama/Denmark?
Hypothetical:
How about if on J1 they build a NB on Marshall, and move everything they can get there (this includes a ton of war ships, but only one tpt).
J2 they move everything to either sz 11 or 28 (next to sz 64).
J3 they ask politely to go through the Panama Canal to move to sz 89.

As the US you have to be scratching your head. The entire Pacific will be allies (only a token Jap navy left behind), but wow what an over load on the Euro side? Jap would most likely head to Brazil to be able to build units (more ground & tpts), or maybe straight to Gib just to kill allied navies.

Actually if Japan moved from Marshal (w/NB) to sz 51, they could then go around S America and attack Brazil in one turn (J3). SZ51 to sz 66 then to 85 (Brazil). Jap could use those two land units it brought on tpt w/bombardment, and air power to kill Brazil's 3 inf. Interesting, the US wouldn't be able to attack Jap at Brazil US3 (not at war), so Jap would be able to drop some air power there to hold it J4, and maybe Italy or Germany supply some air def, or run some blocker interference in the Atlantic as well. This kinda screams Monroe Doctrine, and is another reason that Brazil should be added to US Euro NO (not cut it) w/Mexico, W Indies etc...

Japan wouldn't even need a huge naval presence to pull it off w/help from the Euro axis and it would sure put a dent in Operation Torch w/US not getting those free Brazilians. This could develop into an interesting strat, that would put the allies off balance for a while.

Cmdr Jennifer

Post by Cmdr Jennifer » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:27 pm

so in your hypothetical it is worse for Japan to ask to use the Panama Canal???
Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist.
Children already know that dragons exist!
Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed!

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:58 pm

Cmdr Jennifer wrote:so in your hypothetical it is worse for Japan to ask to use the Panama Canal???
Well it would be a dead give away on your intentions.

Infrastructure

Post by Infrastructure » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks for the quick answer Kreig. In the middle of great gaming seesion. First in a couple monthes.
It's such an awesome game.
Middle of turn 9, still anyones game.
Allie's still have the upper hand in the Pacific and Africa is secure, but Russia is holding out for a hero and that Hero has its handful with a very strong italy to crack...
The second front might not be established in time.

So much fun, I wish I got to play face to face more often.
Lot's o' beers and a good friend or two, man this rocks.

Anyhow,
Thanks again Kreighund and thanks again LARRY.

Infrastructure

Post by Infrastructure » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:55 am

One last plug for a fix. The one thing that keeps annoying me the most, is the inabiliy for an Ally to take over the administration of an empty allied territory whose capital had fallen. It really doesn't seem right, especially in late game.
I know it is a little of mechanics issue, but what about this;
If an Ally's capital is in enemy hands you may set up an admin and gain "control" of territory. You need to have a land unit that started in the territory commit its movement for the round to setting up the admin. (this is similar to dedicating a unit to take out a transport during combat move.)
In this way it removes a piece from play for a full turn, but allows you to gain what was once your ally's resources rather than assume that they sit there and do absolutely nothing.
There is precedence in the game with the Dutch Indies.
Also you have to clarify that Calcutta is not able to control anything beyond the Pacific Map and west India.

Immediate problems perceived;
Benefits the Allies. Perhaps an Italian NO for 3 if they have units in south africa?
Really helps late game allies. Perhaps a couple more late game NOs for the axis. Like the First time china falls completely gain 6? Italy and Germany can get an additional +5 if axis controls all of the mid east oil tts?

nipper

Post by nipper » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:19 am

Larry - A few friends and I are planning a game of AA Global in London on 20th Aug. We are flying in from Monaco, Germany and Singapore and hiring a 1500 sq ft suite with a boardroom in a leading London hotel. In order for us to plan accordingly, we were wondering if Alpha 3 rules were likely to be released by this time? In addition you are welcome to join if you happen to be in London at the time. Best regards.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:53 am

nipper wrote:Larry - A few friends and I are planning a game of AA Global in London on 20th Aug. We are flying in from Monaco, Germany and Singapore and hiring a 1500 sq ft suite with a boardroom in a leading London hotel. In order for us to plan accordingly, we were wondering if Alpha 3 rules were likely to be released by this time? In addition you are welcome to join if you happen to be in London at the time. Best regards.
Bump, just in case I fly a few friends in for that same weekend :wink: