Official Rules Clarifications

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
Krieghund

Official Rules Clarifications

Post by Krieghund » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:50 pm

Since the official Europe FAQ won't be published until work on the Alpha project is completed, Larry and I have put together a list of rules clarifications to address some of the common questions and concerns that people have about the Europe and Global 1940 games. It can be found here.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

mantlefan

Re: Official Rules Clarifications

Post by mantlefan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:01 pm

[thumbsup]
“A lie never lives to be old.” — Sophocles

mantlefan

Post by mantlefan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:10 pm

"If you’re doing an amphibious assault and there are no enemy ships in the sea zone around the island you’re attacking, but the island has an airbase and enemy fighters, you may move extra ships and planes that won’t directly support the assault into the sea zone along with your transports just in case your opponent decides to scramble the fighters to defend the sea zone."

I think this may have been written before islands AND coastal territories with airbases could scramble.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:14 pm

It's a generic example, meant to apply to both the OOB and Alpha rules.

mantlefan

Post by mantlefan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:24 pm

Krieghund wrote:It's a generic example, meant to apply to both the OOB and Alpha rules.
It sounds like it only applies to islands to me, but your point does make sense.

Captain Crunch

Post by Captain Crunch » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:49 pm

Quote: The only time a carrier’s planes don’t defend in the air is when the carrier goes into battle already damaged and the planes are trapped on board.

I need clarification please. Since planes cannot land on damaged carriers I am trying to figure out how the planes ended up on a damaged carrier. Could someone possibly bring the carrier into battle, leaving the planes on the carrier. The carrier takes a hit but the planes are already on the carrier so they are not 'landing on a damaged carrier'. I guess that could happen.
Regards,
Captain Crunch

Take time from your busy day to play Axis & Allies and to eat a bowl of cereal.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:22 pm

The only way it can happen is if you attack with a carrier that has your ally's planes on it (cargo) and the carrier is damaged.

Caractacus

Post by Caractacus » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:40 pm

Krieghund wrote:The only way it can happen is if you attack with a carrier that has your ally's planes on it (cargo) and the carrier is damaged.
What about if you had an carrier with a plane on it, and it was attacked by a single sub? The sub got a hit and so did the carrier.

The sub can't hit the plane and the plane can't hit the sub without a destroyer (isn't that still the case?).

Or are you allowed to have the plane take off anyway even if it technically can't hit or be hit? I suppose that one could - simply to avoid the carrier going down with the plane on it - at least it would have 1 movement point to try to reach land (or another carrier)...
Caractacus.