Official Rules Clarifications

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
Krieghund

Re: Official Rules Clarifications

Post by Krieghund » Fri May 09, 2014 8:33 am

Craig A Yope wrote:Just seems a bit off though. The ability to ignore the subs when coming into a seazone for an amphib isn't reciprocated in this situation of the response.
The subs can only be ignored because they, by themselves, don't make the sea zone hostile. When defending air units are scrambled into the sea zone, it becomes hostile due to their presence, so the subs can no longer be ignored.

It goes back to the principle that subs can only be ignored during movement, not during combat. When the amphibious assault is declared, the attacking units move into the sea zone and choose to ignore the subs, avoiding sea combat altogether. However, when the defender scrambles, a combat situation is created, and the subs, being in the same sea zone, are drawn into it and can no longer be ignored.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Craig A Yope

Post by Craig A Yope » Mon May 12, 2014 12:18 pm

Thanks for the reminder.

Just out of practice with this rule set so I need to probably limit my "help". Tough habit to break though.

Caractacus

Post by Caractacus » Fri May 16, 2014 3:51 am

Krieghund wrote:
Craig A Yope wrote:Just seems a bit off though. The ability to ignore the subs when coming into a seazone for an amphib isn't reciprocated in this situation of the response.
The subs can only be ignored because they, by themselves, don't make the sea zone hostile. When defending air units are scrambled into the sea zone, it becomes hostile due to their presence, so the subs can no longer be ignored.

It goes back to the principle that subs can only be ignored during movement, not during combat. When the amphibious assault is declared, the attacking units move into the sea zone and choose to ignore the subs, avoiding sea combat altogether. However, when the defender scrambles, a combat situation is created, and the subs, being in the same sea zone, are drawn into it and can no longer be ignored.
Fine by the rules, but it really is an oddity that unengaged subs are LESS able to interfere in an amphibious invasion than when being attacked...
Caractacus.

jasmar40

Post by jasmar40 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:21 pm

So how can Italy lose all 10 IPC points through convoy disruption in sz 97?

Elrood

Post by Elrood » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:17 am

Can a russian infantry on a UK Transport make a amphibious assault during russias turn? e.g. to capture italian somali land?

Or can it only be unloaded during the non combat phase?

Edit: found it myself in the RB..

An attacking land unit can assault a coastal territory from an ally’s transport, but only on the attacking land unit owner’s turn.

nevermind then :)

SirEdward

Post by SirEdward » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:18 am

Hi! I'm back here after long years, but still playing Global 1940 (the game box is showing serious signs of wearing)

A question on the usage of paratroopers. When do the paratroopers get launched? Is it during the combat moves, or at the beginning of the actual battle?

If I am making an amphibious assault, and sending paratroopers to the same territory that will be attacked by transports. However, the sea battle is not a sure win. If the sea battle fails and my transports must retreat or are even sunk, are the paratroopers still bound to attack? Do I choose if they can? Do they need at least one successful land unit to make it to the beaches?

From what I can gather from the rules, at least one round of combat must be played, so this should mean that the paratroopers are considered landing (subject to AA and the rest) and might even win the battle and take the territory. Is that correct?
"they're coming out of the ***damn walls" (Japan Player speaking of Chinese infantry).

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:25 am

Welcome back, SirEdward!

Paratroopers are moved during combat movement, following the same rules that air units do, so they will arrive at the target territory whether or not the naval battle is successful. If there are other units attacking by land, they must fight one round before they can retreat along with those units. If not, there is no way for them to retreat, and they must fight to the end. Either way, the paratroopers will be fighting, regardless of whether the seaborne units make it to the beach, and they may indeed win the battle by themselves.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

SirEdward

Post by SirEdward » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:20 pm

Thank you Krieghund for the clarification! :-)
"they're coming out of the ***damn walls" (Japan Player speaking of Chinese infantry).