Alpha +3

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
oztea
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: Alpha +3

Post by oztea » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:42 pm

Well the Germans and Allies learned from what happened in Falaise. The allies wanted to take the concept of cutting off Germans to the next level, by cutting off the entirety of German forces in France. The Germans on the other hand were so afraid of getting cut off they fled Paris at record speed and made for the Rhine.

User avatar
Yavid
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:25 am
Contact:

Re: Alpha +3

Post by Yavid » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:27 am

I really like the idea of doing away with the rule saying if you liberate a territory owned by a country with it's capital under enemy control lets you claim the territory. Liberated French territories would be liberated and become french again instead of being american until Paris is liberated. But that might make people push into europe through denmark instead. Which IMO is a bad thing. Maybe my idea of american NO plus doing away with the liberating rule might do the trick.
Behold the Power of Yavid

Elrood
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: Alpha +3

Post by Elrood » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:34 pm

Can Anzac declare war on Japan without bringing UK also into it?

Can UK declare war on Japan without bringing Anzac also into it?

User avatar
Krieghund
Posts: 2668
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: Alpha +3

Post by Krieghund » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:01 pm

No. Politically, they are one.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

TheNacho
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:12 pm

Re: Alpha +3

Post by TheNacho » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:27 am

Air Defense: AA guns can only fire at an air unit when that unit attacks the territory containing that AA gun. AA guns fire only once, before the first round of combat. Each AA gun in the territory may fire up to three times, but only once per attacking air unit. In other words, the total number of air defense dice rolled is three times the number of AA guns, or the number of attacking air units, whichever is the lesser. Once the number of air defense dice is determined, the dice are rolled. For each “1” rolled, the attacker must choose one air unit as a casualty. These casualties are removed immediately, and will not participate in the remainder of the battle. This AA gun attack is made immediately before normal combat occurs in the territory containing the AA gun. AA guns do not defend facilities against strategic or tactical bombing. Facilities have their own “built in” air defenses.
The search function on this board did not find me any instances of anyone else asking this, so I apologize if this is rehashing...

Do I understand this correctly?

Let's say 3 Fighters, 1 Tactical Bomber and 4 Strategic Bombers attack a zone with two AA guns in it. I would roll 3 dice trying for 1's against the Fighters (a die per plane), then I'd roll one die for a 1 against the Tactical Bomber (one die because there's only one plane), then finally 4 die for 1's against the Strategical Bombers.

Right? Somehow I feel like this is wrong. A confusing rule is "...the total number of air defense dice rolled is three times the number of AA guns, or the number of attacking air units, whichever is the lesser...". So, in my example I should only be getting 6 dice to roll, but the example has 8.

Another confusion point for me is "...Each AA gun in the territory may fire up to three times, but only once per attacking air unit...". Should that read "attacking air unit *type*? Otherwise, I simply roll seven die, looking for 1's to then destroy attacking planes. If this is the case, I don't understand how this is new.

Please help me understand WHY some territories begin the game with more than one AA Gun. Did something change where EACH AA gun is allowed to fire?

Lastly, as a matter of semantics... it says that AA guns fire when a unit *attacks* a territory. So, do AA Guns fire if the enemy is simply flying over the territory (on its way to another territory)?

Thanks everyone.
-- Stephen

User avatar
Yavid
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:25 am
Contact:

Re: Alpha +3

Post by Yavid » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:39 am

can you build a minor IC in a territory you did not originally own. Such as Japan building one in China or US in persia?
Behold the Power of Yavid

mantlefan
Posts: 612
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Alpha +3

Post by mantlefan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:05 am

The best way I can explain AA guns is

1. Each AA gun may fire 3 shots per turn.

2. No Plane may be shot at more than once per turn.

3. Rule 2 trumps rule 1.

So if you have 3 AA guns defending and 10 planes attacking, you get 9 shots.

If you have 3 AA guns defending and 8 planes attacking, you only get 8 Shots, since no plane can be shot at.

Put another way, each AA gun increases the number of aa shots you can fire by 3, but remember, you can never fire more shots than there are planes.
“A lie never lives to be old.” — Sophocles

User avatar
Krieghund
Posts: 2668
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: Alpha +3

Post by Krieghund » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:59 am

TheNacho wrote:Do I understand this correctly?

Let's say 3 Fighters, 1 Tactical Bomber and 4 Strategic Bombers attack a zone with two AA guns in it. I would roll 3 dice trying for 1's against the Fighters (a die per plane), then I'd roll one die for a 1 against the Tactical Bomber (one die because there's only one plane), then finally 4 die for 1's against the Strategical Bombers.

Right?
Nope. See mantlefan's answer above.
TheNacho wrote:Somehow I feel like this is wrong. A confusing rule is "...the total number of air defense dice rolled is three times the number of AA guns, or the number of attacking air units, whichever is the lesser...". So, in my example I should only be getting 6 dice to roll, but the example has 8.
In your example you'd roll 6 dice. There are 8 air units attacking, but there are only 2 AAA. Three times the number of AAA (6) is less than the number of attacking air units (8).
TheNacho wrote:Another confusion point for me is "...Each AA gun in the territory may fire up to three times, but only once per attacking air unit...". Should that read "attacking air unit *type*? Otherwise, I simply roll seven die, looking for 1's to then destroy attacking planes. If this is the case, I don't understand how this is new.
Type has nothing to do with it. You roll your air defense dice against all attacking air units, and then the attacker chooses any casualties. What's new is that each AAA is limited to firing at a maximum of three air units, meaning that you need more than one if you want to shoot at more attacking air units than three.
TheNacho wrote:Please help me understand WHY some territories begin the game with more than one AA Gun. Did something change where EACH AA gun is allowed to fire?
Yes. See above.
TheNacho wrote:Lastly, as a matter of semantics... it says that AA guns fire when a unit *attacks* a territory. So, do AA Guns fire if the enemy is simply flying over the territory (on its way to another territory)?
No, they don't. Only AAA in the attacked territory fire.


Yavid wrote:can you build a minor IC in a territory you did not originally own. Such as Japan building one in China or US in persia?
Yes, as long as the territory is not an island and is worth 2 or more IPCs.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests