Alpha +4

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
Cmdr Jennifer

Re: Alpha +4

Post by Cmdr Jennifer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:47 pm

We have a table to represent the uncertainty of the game. It's assumed, I think and forwhatever reason, that you have teams of scientists looking for super submarines, rockets, artificial nose pickers or whatever all at the same time and it's just a matter of investment and time to find something.
Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist.
Children already know that dragons exist!
Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed!

Caractacus

Post by Caractacus » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:54 am

Cmdr Jennifer wrote:We have a table to represent the uncertainty of the game. It's assumed, I think and forwhatever reason, that you have teams of scientists looking for super submarines, rockets, artificial nose pickers or whatever all at the same time and it's just a matter of investment and time to find something.
That is a gamey explanation and not a sensible one by real world standards.

Naturally, scientists are looking at all sorts of things all the time, but the Manhattan Project got support much greater in quantity than did the Remington Fuzz-Away Experiment.

It's akin to saying, "I told my generals to invade Norway, but instead they got me Portugal as it was nearer." Cue sacked generals.

Nor is the explanation especially good in game terms either, as you mention 'investment' and that's really the point here:

If I invest a large amount of money intending to develop Heavy Bombers, I DON'T expect Super Subs. I just don't.

In game terms that is also an insult to Russia if it gets Super Subs - who the hell financed these guys? Stalin would be intrigued.

I really see NO reason for random development. The cost is entirely negotiable - make it 10 IPCs/die roll if that's what it takes to work towards something specific, that's fine, but randomness is daft.
Caractacus.

Gen. Dicenhower

Post by Gen. Dicenhower » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:51 pm

A player buys a Scientist that rolls each turn till the reserch that particular Scientist is working on comes up on the die. For example you pay a scientist to reserch Heavy Bombers, the die roll needed for heavy bombers is 6, this Scientist will roll each turn untill that specific result comes up, or roll each turn for a 6 that allows for a second roll for the paid for reserch die result, if the second die roll is not what you are reserching then you wait for the next turn.

oztea

Post by oztea » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:53 pm

You should have to call out your tech

"I want tech 4 on chart 2"
And roll, looking for 4's

If you dont get any you keep tech tokens.
This roll costs 10.

You can still roll 5 IPC rolls, but they are totaly random and have no tokens.

Or something....I dont know...tech is a fools errand in 1940.

mantlefan

Post by mantlefan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:25 pm

Caractacus wrote: I really see NO reason for random development. The cost is entirely negotiable - make it 10 IPCs/die roll if that's what it takes to work towards something specific, that's fine, but randomness is daft.
+1
“A lie never lives to be old.” — Sophocles

mantlefan

Post by mantlefan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:36 pm

How about:

Each roll costs 10 IPC.

You may pick the tech you wish to get, rolling for the number each tech is listed at. You roll that number, you get that tech.

Subtract 2 from the cost of each die roll for each fully undamaged Major IC under your control at the time of paying for the dice. Also subtract 1 for each undamaged Minor IC you have on a VC. (Research dice may never go below 3 IPC's each, regardless of how many Complexes you have.

------

Incidentally, this gives different powers different costs for rolls, which fairly accurately reflects their relative strengths in R&D.
“A lie never lives to be old.” — Sophocles

Cmdr Jennifer

Post by Cmdr Jennifer » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:51 pm

please play nice.

:edit
elbowmaster
Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist.
Children already know that dragons exist!
Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed!

oztea

Post by oztea » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:20 pm

I actually like mantle's latest suggestion that ICs should factor into research costs
Means after Germany takes France it becomes a research power house

USA has the most majors of any nation

ANZAC would never roll

Italy would have trouble, and so would Japan.

But linking ICs to tech is an idea that may deserve looking into.

And Jen, just because he doesnt play online doesnt devalue everything he says. There are many other reasons....
I dont play online and people value my opinions...
Jen, you play online and most people disregard what you have to say....
So its all realitve.