Alpha +4

Link up A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940, and you've got Axis & Allies Global 1940.
Caractacus

Re: Alpha +4

Post by Caractacus » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:29 am

Cmdr Jennifer wrote: Perhaps a situation arises that is a catstrophy
I'm feline fine 'cos I won a prize! :wink:

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Otherwise, regarding the Alpha 4 issue, I'm waiting to see the new rules and give them a few plays. I am not excited about some things, but let's see how it all pans out in the end.
Caractacus.

LyrandisX

Post by LyrandisX » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:35 pm

I know this topic is kinda dead, but I would like to revive it (unless the admins prefer me to make a new one)

I have an idea on some rule changes

Canada, Holland, and Vichy France introduced as new powers

Holland Begins the game with 16 IPCs, however they are automatically submitted to Germany as the game begins, Holland Belgium is worth 4 IPCs and contains a victory city, Dutch Guina is now worth 1 IPC, Color Bright Orange

Canadian territories will increase in value to be a total of 10 IPCs, Yukon Territory returns, Color Yellow

If The capitals of France and Holland are occupied by Axis forces, the UK make move into the other territories held by those powers and gain control of them, this is done to make up for the UK's lose of IPCs, also Newfoundland is worth 1 extra IPC

Several new units:
Heavy Tank, 3 Attack, 4 Defence, 2 movement, costs 12 IPCs, can perform a second combat move
Heavy Artillery, 3 attack, 2 defence, 1 movement, costs 10 IPCs, can boost the attack of infantry, mechanized infantry, tanks, and heavy tanks by 1 per Pair
Fortifications, 0 attack, 2 defence, 0 movement, costs 6 IPCs, if a naval assault occurs with transports, this unit targets the transports, if hit, the transports and the units aboard them are destroyed
Atomic Bomb: Costs 32 IPCs, must be transported by bomber, only gained after all nuclear technologies are obtained, kills all units once used (bomber must survive though)

New Tech chart: this chart is for nuclear technology, if all 6 are obtained, you may now purchase atomic bombs, only US, UK, USSR, Germany, and Japan may bid for these techs

Vichy France: If Paris is captured by an Axis power, and Southern France remains unoccupied by all players except France by France's turn, then Vichy France will be introduced, Vichy France gains all of the territories north of the Sahara desert and Syria (unless already occupied), all French units in those territories are changed to Vichy units, along with all French naval units that are not adjacent to allied territories (unless of course it's french), Vichy France is an Axis power, and is politically connected to Germany (thus if Germany declares war on US, Vichy is also at war with US), Vichy France's capital is Southern France, it will have a false capital (a capital that is not a victory city), if Paris is liberated by Allied forces, All Vichy units are replaced by French units and all Vichy territory is returned to France, color Dark Blue

Germany and Italy are no longer politically connected

New victory cities introduced:
Munich in Western Germany, Amsterdam in Holland Belgium, Chicago in Central US, Chungking in Szechwan, Cape Town in Union of South Africa

Victory Conditions:
Europe Axis gain 9 Victory Cities; Pacific Axis gain 6 Victory Cities; Allies must capture Berlin, Tokyo, Rome, and Must hold Paris; All three require 1 capital of the particular side

France has a new National Objective: Control all original french territories, +5 IPCs

Holland has one: Control all Dutch Territories on pacific map, +4 IPCs

Canada as well: +2 IPCs when the US joins the war

True neutrals are no longer politically connected, instead only territories that were in the actual war are now connected (Portugal and Angolia for example), All neutrals could now have other units besides infantry (except for factories, naval bases, and air bases), several large true neutral territories were split apart for more IPCs and gameplay

Optional Rule: Spanish Ally; Spain is included as a playable power, is an Axis power, Spain's capital is southern spain, like Vichy's, it's a false capital

Turn order:
Germany
Vichy France
USSR
USA
Canada
Japan
China
UK
Italy
ANZAC
France
Holland

marten

Post by marten » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:50 am

I am not so much in favour of the previous suggestions on new units and tech trees : they all make the game more complicated. However, I would like to see a simple rule to keep the French in the game.

What I really, really would like to see in a new version of the rules is a timeline. When the Axis don't win early in the game, the outcome of the game is known. This usually leads to an early Axis armistice. It would be fun to include a rule that the Axis also win if they hold out beyond a certain date/game round. This way a game can continue even if the Axis can not win directly by capturing enough victory cities.

jwingram

Post by jwingram » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:54 pm

Imperious leader wrote:So what do you want in this version?
What I want in Alpha +4 is for the US player to not be essentially non-entity for the first three hours of the game. At present, even after the first three turns, the US is still two full moves away from posing any signicant threat to either Japan or Germany. With a fast move in Global 1940 Alpha +3 taking around one hour, the US player is basically twiddling his thumbs, doing a build once an hour, watching China get annihilated by Japan's massive air power, and bored for the rest of the time.

This can be accomplished in one of three ways:

1. Speeding up the full round cycle by changes to game mechanics
2. Adding a mechanism that allows the US player to be a bigger factor prior to the US entering the war
3. Coming up with a different setup in which the US is already in the war

For step #1, I would combine UK Pacific and ANZAC into one power (or at least provide an optional rule allowing that), eliminate convoy zones (or make them optional), and implement other time-saving changes that would speed up turns.

For step #2, I would introduce a lend-lease mechanism whereby one "Allied" power of the US receives non-infantry units costing up to 12 IPCs for free each round during its "Place Build" phase, to be placed at any of its existing factories. This would stop as soon as the US enters the war, which would give Japan and Germany some incentive to bring the US into the war, rather than gaming the DoW system in the Pacific by Japan doing everything it can to crush China and prepare for turn 4 war and explicitly not attacking the US, UK, or ANZAC. There is not much downside to this approach currently for the Axis, as the UK Pacific and ANZAC are not strong enough economically to build any significant deterrent forces to Japan obtaining a strong economic advantage on turn four.

For step #3, Declarations of War go away. The US is already at war. The setup is different, Japan and Germany further advanced, but the US starts having more to do immediately.

Please don't misunderstand -- even in Alpha +3, the US players first five actions are crucially important to the overall Allied performance, but it is a horribly boring and frustrating situation to be in as the US player. I'm tempted often to bring a book or something if I am going to be playing the US.

Other changes I would like to see:

1. The US needs to be a bigger threat against Japan or Japan needs a motivation to achieve its outer defense chain national objective. Perhaps Japan is penalized 2 IPCs per island in that objective chain that it does NOT hold if it is at war with the US. This would lead to situations in which Japan has to defend these islands instead of completely ignoring them, which in turn would take a spot of pressure off of the UK, ANZAC, and Russia and which would also encourage some of the island hopping tactics that are rarely seen in Alpha+3 games.
2. There needs to be a bigger penalty for Japan attacking Russia. The existing neutrality is not neutrality if, after crushing China, Japanese troops can attack Russian territory not bordering Mongolia without violating the neutrality. Any attack on Russia territory by Japan should activate Mongolia.
3. General consensus online is that the Allies are underpowered. Andrew game provide more information about this, but as I recall 10-12 IPCs are typically bid by someone wanting to play the Axis. This could be resolved by the addition of some strategically placed infantry units (Egypt needs one) or it could be resolved with some additional national objective dollars.

That's my two cents.

Jonathan

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:19 pm

Would like to employ the all axis all allies turn sequence.

Soviets play first
Then all Axis together
Then all Allies together

cuts down on playing time and down time and does not really change play, except when UK does against Italy which is not Historical anyway.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

marten

Post by marten » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:57 pm

Would actually be in favour of Axis and Allies nations playing at the same time. Currently, you spend a lot of time waiting for others to do their turn. Could also be an optional rule: when playing with more players play nations at the same time, when playing with 2-3 players take turns for each nation.

I also like the US and Russia in the war from turn 1. Of course, we have that now with the new 1942 Setup. I would also like to see an official setup for 1941.

jwingram

Post by jwingram » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:08 pm

marten wrote:Would actually be in favour of Axis and Allies nations playing at the same time. Currently, you spend a lot of time waiting for others to do their turn. Could also be an optional rule: when playing with more players play nations at the same time, when playing with 2-3 players take turns for each nation.

I also like the US and Russia in the war from turn 1. Of course, we have that now with the new 1942 Setup. I would also like to see an official setup for 1941.
I don't think we've ever tried it that way. I'll have to suggest that for our next meetup game.

Jonathan

Craig A Yope

Post by Craig A Yope » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:48 pm

For step #1, I would combine UK Pacific and ANZAC into one power (or at least provide an optional rule allowing that).....
Having done this before, I would say that it ends up being too powerful a change. The combined IPCs being spent all in one place causes too much trouble for the Japanese.

Now I have fought for keeping the two economies separate but allowing them to do all other actions at the same time. I always thought it a bit screwy that they couldn't cooperate.