MAP:

If you're looking for a quick or introductory game of Axis & Allies this is the one. It also has a very special collection of never before seen plastic units.
Just to mention a few: German Tiger tank, Russian IS2 tank, US P40 Warhawk, German FW-190 Folkwolf, Japanese Kongo class battleship and the HMS Hood, and oh yeah... the German He-111 Heinkel bomber.
elbowmaster

MAP:

Post by elbowmaster » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:20 am

Source public domain photo from http://axisandallies.org

Large View

elbowmaster

Re: MAP:

Post by elbowmaster » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:32 am

The one thing that strikes me the most about this otherwise handsome map is the location of Iceland.

China is sliced up in a new fashion.

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:28 am

Whoa! Japanese held French Indo-China (?) it isn't connected to the next Japanese territory to it's north. The Japanese have to go through one of the Chinese territories first to reinforce it/get to it over land. Also, I see India starts with a complex. I wonder who that will benefit more, UK or Japan?

timerover51

Post by timerover51 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:59 am

Hmmmm, it looks like the USSR has all of 7 territories in it possession, and China has precisely 2. North Africa appears to be all one area except for Anglo-Egypt Sudan. Germany already has control of the Ukraine and the Crimea, and most of the eastern USSR. Based on that, the starting date is more realistically, Spring 1942, with a lot fewer Russian and Chinese Territories.

Japanese controlled Indo-China is adjacent to India, and it appears that the Japanese already control Malaya. That means they have already taken Burma and Malaya, so again, that is much closer to Spring 1942 than anything in 1941.

As for the sculpts, one mold for Allies with different colored plastic, and the same for the Axis, except for the infantry, which would be a second mold. No chips, no factories so no additional Industrial Complexes, no AA Guns, and no artillery. I did not see any mention of IPC certificates, so presumably none of them either. That is cutting production costs to the minimum possible.

Overall, aside from the addition of the destroyer, it is the Classic game in terms of units, but with a lot less flexibility for construction, and a board that is NOT 1941 in the least.

Most Holy

Post by Most Holy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:13 am

Think of the children! This game is for newcomers. Reports show that new players like the fact that all the sculpts for each side are the same. Of course long time A&A gamers are not going to go bonkers for this game except for the fact that they might get new folk into it. That is the whole point. Judge not it's simplicity, it will be it's ultimate strength.
My A&A blog: Home of the Dicetruction Podcast and other A&A related nonsense
http://www.dicetruction.blogspot.com

timerover51

Post by timerover51 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:38 pm

Most Holy wrote:Think of the children! This game is for newcomers. Reports show that new players like the fact that all the sculpts for each side are the same. Of course long time A&A gamers are not going to go bonkers for this game except for the fact that they might get new folk into it. That is the whole point. Judge not it's simplicity, it will be it's ultimate strength.

I am presently teaching a historical board gaming class to gifted 6th through 12th grade students for 3 weeks. One of our perennial favorites is Classic Axis and Allies for new gamers. For more experienced gamers, we play a modified version of the first edition of Pacific expanded to 6 players, with modified rules and random events, including weather and jungle sickness. For the very experienced players we use a modified version of Attack and the original Attack expansion, put together by me.

Sometime next week, we will start two classes, totaling 40 students, on fighting WW2, starting in 1939, using the 4 foot by 8 foot map from Historical Board Gaming, with rules using a combination of Axis and Allies Classic, Xeno Games World at War/Europe at War/Pacific at War, and Eagle Games Attack and the original Attack Expansion, along with a fair amount of new material including country-specific unit costs and combat ratings, random events, and reworked tech development rules.

I will not be recommending to any of the students that they invest in this new version, but try and track down a Classic set or use Spring 1942 with revised set up and rules. We have a considerable number os students that prefer Classic over the Revised 2004 Edition and Spring 1942. I am thinking of the children as you put it.

Most Holy

Post by Most Holy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:47 am

I'm glad that you are introducing this game to gifted youngsters in a more advanced fashion. My son is 10 and is bright and loves board games but is more into Battleship and Monopoly. I'm looking forward to introducing him to this new 41 game and don't want to bog the thing down with a ton of rules. In time he'll either like it and move up to a higher level of rules and eventually get to Global or something more advanced but if you look at most kids his age they'd rather plat a game that is short or hit up the PS3 for a super graphic game where there's no memorizing rules and the game engine does everything for them. I want to drift into old age with a kid that loves the game as much as I do and I'm not going to drag a ten year old into Global or anything that complicated. 41 seems like a good start.
My A&A blog: Home of the Dicetruction Podcast and other A&A related nonsense
http://www.dicetruction.blogspot.com

lalacurf121

Post by lalacurf121 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:46 am

Global or anything that complicated.