Variant to Mitigate Luck

If you're looking for a quick or introductory game of Axis & Allies this is the one. It also has a very special collection of never before seen plastic units.
Just to mention a few: German Tiger tank, Russian IS2 tank, US P40 Warhawk, German FW-190 Folkwolf, Japanese Kongo class battleship and the HMS Hood, and oh yeah... the German He-111 Heinkel bomber.
XRJohn

Re: Variant to Mitigate Luck

Post by XRJohn » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:28 pm

STUrzKAmpfbomber wrote:Another suggestion: ONLY the defending units that were hit, are allowed to fire back in the round, the defender annouces a retreat...(so the attacker suffers less counterfire - only by the defending units, he "reached before retreating", i mean that those defenders are taken out by the attacker - while the rest of the defenders could retreat safely.)
STUrzKAmpfbomber, I agree it could work as well. Here's one more variant that could be used in a house rule. It's probably too complicated to hope for it in an official A&A game.

Rear guard retreat--

Announcing the retreat:
The defender announces a retreat at the start of the round of combat. The defender designates a friendly space (territory or SZ to which all retreating units, including aircraft will retreat). In the case of a SZ it must have been friendly at the start of the attacking player's turn.

The round of combat:
The defender assigns one or more units to a rear guard. The attacker fires normally. Rear guard units are chosen first as casualties. Excess hits by the attacker, if any, are applied to retreating units. Move hit rear guard units behind the casualty strip, but remove hit retreating units immediately. Then remove all retreating units from the battle board, and place them on the space to which they retreated. Then the defender fires ONLY rear guard units. Remove rear guard units hit as casualties.

Conclusion of the battle:
If any of the defender's rear guard units survived the round, then combat continues normally and the surviving rear guard units are unable to retreat for the remainder of this combat. The attacker may still retreat at the end of any round of combat under normal attacker retreat rules.

STUrzKAmpfbomber

Post by STUrzKAmpfbomber » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:02 am

XRJohn wrote: STUrzKAmpfbomber, I agree it could work as well. Here's one more variant that could be used in a house rule. It's probably too complicated to hope for it in an official A&A game.

Rear guard retreat--

Announcing the retreat:
The defender announces a retreat at the start of the round of combat. The defender designates a friendly space (territory or SZ to which all retreating units, including aircraft will retreat). In the case of a SZ it must have been friendly at the start of the attacking player's turn.

The round of combat:
The defender assigns one or more units to a rear guard. The attacker fires normally. Rear guard units are chosen first as casualties. Excess hits by the attacker, if any, are applied to retreating units. Move hit rear guard units behind the casualty strip, but remove hit retreating units immediately. Then remove all retreating units from the battle board, and place them on the space to which they retreated. Then the defender fires ONLY rear guard units. Remove rear guard units hit as casualties.

Conclusion of the battle:
If any of the defender's rear guard units survived the round, then combat continues normally and the surviving rear guard units are unable to retreat for the remainder of this combat. The attacker may still retreat at the end of any round of combat under normal attacker retreat rules.

I think, this rule will works quite good, though it could make the games a little bit more complicated and it will needs more time for playing...It definitely should be an optional rule, however.

But maybe you would try out an additional rule to this one, and i call it (in german) "Kesselschlachten", which happend several times, especially in operation barbarossa. I believe, the english term for that is "battle of encirclement and annihilation" or maybe a "battleground" (?).

Take your retreating-rule as usal but add following condition:

A defender-retreat on land is only allowed (for ground units) if there exist a friendly adjacent territory, in which these units are able to retreat. Any times, a battle occurs, and there isn´t a friendly territory for the retreat of the defender, regardless if the defender is willing to retreat or not, the defender becomes automatically trapped in a battleground. If this happens, any defending ground units (doesn´t apply to aircraft) fires back with a reduction by one on a six-sided dice, but at least with a value of one, however.

Example: If three german tanks attacks a territory in which are one defending infantry and one defending tactical bomber, and there is no way back for the defending infantry, because of none eligible territory for this (the tactical bomber maybe still could land in a friendly adjacent seazone, includes a carrier with a free landing space), the infantry is trapped in a battleground. So, in each round of combat, the defending infantry fires back only with an 1 on a six-sided dice (reduction by one) while the remaining tactical bomber still fires back with a 3 (planes can´t be trapped in battlegrounds, no matter if there is a friendly space for retreating or not).

Natasin

Post by Natasin » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:02 pm

If you really want to limit luck quite a bit then do this:

Add all the attack numbers and divide by six. Roll the remainder.
Add all the defense numbers and divide by six. Roll the remainder.

So if I had six tanks and 10 infantry on attack and 13 infantry on defense then the number would work like so:

6x3=18
10X1= 10
= 28/6 = 4.4

With the one die, you'd try to roll a 4 or less.

13x2=26/6 = 4.2
Try to roll a two or less

This simplifies combat but makes it fairly predictable. You can even go no dice in this model by saying that 1-3 doesn't equal a hit but 4-6 does in regard to the remainder.

You don't have to worry about air defense; so you don't have to worry about rolling to hit on 1s. You'd have to roll air defense in other versions though. There simply just isn't a good way around it that I see.

XRJohn

Post by XRJohn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:18 pm

Natasin wrote:If you really want to limit luck quite a bit then do this:

I've played this way before... Way to give away my big real life lowluck secret!

Natasin

Post by Natasin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:41 pm

XRJohn wrote:

I've played this way before... Way to give away my big real life lowluck secret!
I figured I wasn't the only one who played this way. Dividing by six seemed the best way in my mind though I couldn't figure out how to do the remainder until I just decided a little luck would be ok.

My trouble is that playing Global by myself made it too easy for me to want to cheat in one way or another. I'd roll nine sixes and want to reroll. I can't cheat the math at least.

It's tougher to use this in 1941 because you don't roll as many dice.

STUrzKAmpfbomber

Post by STUrzKAmpfbomber » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:36 am

Natasin wrote:
XRJohn wrote:

I figured I wasn't the only one who played this way. Dividing by six seemed the best way in my mind though I couldn't figure out how to do the remainder until I just decided a little luck would be ok.

My trouble is that playing Global by myself made it too easy for me to want to cheat in one way or another. I'd roll nine sixes and want to reroll. I can't cheat the math at least.

It's tougher to use this in 1941 because you don't roll as many dice.
Only a comment to this: The German Axis & Allies Club "DAAK" uses this variant of "Add all the combat-values and divide by six. Roll the remainder" since some years and calls it "Low Luck". It´s a variant of playing A&A for all of those players, which not willing to see good tactics being destroyed only by bad luck while throwing dices.