1st timer, just bought the game. A few questions-

Not to be confused with the 1st Edition This is a larger game... bigger map and more units. The game was released this past summer (2012)
This promises to be the core game and it will be around for many years to come.
bomberdual

1st timer, just bought the game. A few questions-

Post by bomberdual » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:36 pm

1) The game came with 12 industrial complex pieces, with 10 used as part of setup. Does this mean only 2 IC's are allowed to be built?

2) Is AAA really all that useful? They can only move 1 space and are immediately destroyed if they are attacked without other combat units. They can't attack, only defend. Aren't tanks just 10x more versatile for the one extra IPC cost?

There are only two instances in which they seem superior:
- They can down potentially more than one air unit, BUT the probability of them not hitting anything is (5/6)^3 which is still about 58%, and that's assuming the opponent is attacking with at least 3 aerial units, whereas the probability of a tank landing a hit is 50%.

- They have preemptive strike.

Do those two benefits and 1 less cost outweigh the versatility of a tank?

3) The group of friends I typically play with have a preference for faster games, are there any house rules people typically employ to speed the game up a bit? I would've purchased 1941 but I liked how you can play with more units in this one. Does anyone use the 1 capital victory rule from 1941? (ie capture Tokyo, Washington DC, London, Berlin = game over)

Thanks guys.

adpac740

Re: 1st timer, just bought the game. A few questions-

Post by adpac740 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:50 pm

Greetings. Been a while since I've played but thoroughly enjoy it when I get the chance.

Concerning your questions:

1) I don't think there is a limit on how many ICs a faction can buy but generally speaking, there isnt much room to buy them as you need to continue the fight with other, more valuable units.

2) AAAs are useful to deter aircraft as you roll up to three dice per AAA when defending. I agree that other units fair better for the price. Need to find balance in getting AAAs especially against Germany where multiple aircraft loom close by.

3) This game wasn't meant to be played quickly. Last game I played with my group lasted about 6 hrs but was hella fun. To speed it up, I would simply put a time limit on the game ie end the game at 3 hrs for example or focus on minor victory condition only. My 2c.

Hope these help. Happy gaming.