Balance Issues 1942 2nd Ed. Re-Visited

Not to be confused with the 1st Edition This is a larger game... bigger map and more units. The game was released this past summer (2012)
This promises to be the core game and it will be around for many years to come.
squidburns

Re: Balance Issues 1942 2nd Ed. Re-Visited

Post by squidburns » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:52 am

First game of 42.2 update results:

Allies - 6 rounds - Sat 4/29/2017. Just over three hours or so.

Axis conceded after UK turn, round 6.

Allies had some hot dice, Axis was about mean average but cold in a couple critical battles. Allies focused on Atlantic only. Previous 6 games of 42.2 with various Allies' bids have been 5 for the Axis and 1 for the Allies. Definitely makes a difference.

Tomorrow players are swapping teams for game 2.

Thanks
_s

GSmorey

Post by GSmorey » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:46 am

Larry,

Thanks for the quick turnaround. It will be a few days before we can get to getting you feedback, since we will have to run a few games and I am in the process of moving so, the combination of the two might set me back just a bit...

I like what I see so far and will keep you posted on my end. In the meantime, please forward and play-test results to this thread.

Thanks to Larry and all that are take part in this endeavor. :idea:

Peace,
Gregory J. Smorey – EO/GM
SmoreySwamp: Axis & Allies Event Organizer/GM: GEN CON, ORIGINS, Spring Gathering
Web: headlesshorseman2.com

Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.

squidburns

Post by squidburns » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:10 am

Game 2 of 42.2 revised. Axis slaughtered Allies in a KGF just under 2 hours. Allies rolled cold and didn't have a prayer.

twmattox

Post by twmattox » Tue May 02, 2017 2:06 pm

One of the things I love about most versions of this are just how much one small change can affect the entire play. There are just so many options for ways to win...this brings that variable back to 1942.2.

Larry, looking at your proposed changes, the only suggestion I have would be to consider moving one (or possibly both?) of the proposed Brit troops in India to Burma. As indicated above, Japan has the ability to march through China a bit too easily too early. Moving this troop(s) to Burma gives Brittan more choices on strategy (bolster India or help protect China). I have NOT played the proposed set-up yet. This was just a thought while setting the board up and looking at piece distribution.

____
Side note, Larry, thank you for looking into this. The fact that you have taken the time to re-think original set-up on this game shows a level of commitment to the players not seen on most games. I do appreciate it!

And, Greg, thank you for bringing this up. I have said it before, you are one of the most committed GMs. You always go out of your way to ensure consistent fair play. Thank you!

GSmorey

Post by GSmorey » Thu May 04, 2017 9:27 am

squidburns wrote: Allies had some hot dice, Axis was about mean average but cold in a couple critical battles. Allies focused on Atlantic only. Previous 6 games of 42.2 with various Allies' bids have been 5 for the Axis and 1 for the Allies. Definitely makes a difference.
squidburns wrote:Game 2 of 42.2 revised. Axis slaughtered Allies in a KGF just under 2 hours. Allies rolled cold and didn't have a prayer.
Squidburns, thanks for the input. Though, I must make an observation regarding your comments. In more than one case, you are referencing the outcome of your games are based on "Dice" rolls. In my humble opinion, we should not be putting into consideration dice rolls, especially when trying to come to a good balance. Luck and good or bad dice rolls should have little consideration of how to come to a balanced set up! Yes, dice are part of the game, but using them to justify the outcome of the game or relying on them to win, IMO is not a good litmus of how to win the game. I have never seen in my 25 years of running tournaments, great AA players complain about dice rolling. If the dice don't go their way during a game, then plan B must be put into action. Just my thought regarding "Dice Rolling" and its effect on the outcome of AA games...

Even Patton said, "There is no such thing as luck, merely opportunity meeting preparedness."
SmoreySwamp: Axis & Allies Event Organizer/GM: GEN CON, ORIGINS, Spring Gathering

Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.

GSmorey

Post by GSmorey » Thu May 04, 2017 9:30 am

twmattox wrote:And, Greg, thank you for bringing this up. I have said it before, you are one of the most committed GMs. You always go out of your way to ensure consistent fair play. Thank you!
Thanks so much for the kind words...it is for the love of the game, working with Larry over the years, and you guys that have made this journey of mine the joy it has been.

nexus73

Post by nexus73 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:25 am

Even Patton said, "There is no such thing as luck, merely opportunity meeting preparedness."

The way I like to look at a situation: You make the right move and get the right outcome. You make the right move and get the wrong outcome. You make the wrong move and get the wrong outcome. You make the wrong move and get the right outcome. Best laid plans of mice, men and everyone else...LOL! Adapting to circumstances counts for so much.

Rick

P.S. I am still "adapting" to Larry being miserly about placing up my posts. I think he needs some coffee!
Bad dice happen. Blame the Russians...LOL!

squidburns

Post by squidburns » Thu May 04, 2017 11:48 am

GSmorey wrote:
squidburns wrote: Allies had some hot dice, Axis was about mean average but cold in a couple critical battles. Allies focused on Atlantic only. Previous 6 games of 42.2 with various Allies' bids have been 5 for the Axis and 1 for the Allies. Definitely makes a difference.
squidburns wrote:Game 2 of 42.2 revised. Axis slaughtered Allies in a KGF just under 2 hours. Allies rolled cold and didn't have a prayer.
Squidburns, thanks for the input. Though, I must make an observation regarding your comments. In more than one case, you are referencing the outcome of your games are based on "Dice" rolls. In my humble opinion, we should not be putting into consideration dice rolls, especially when trying to come to a good balance. Luck and good or bad dice rolls should have little consideration of how to come to a balanced set up! Yes, dice are part of the game, but using them to justify the outcome of the game or relying on them to win, IMO is not a good litmus of how to win the game. I have never seen in my 25 years of running tournaments, great AA players complain about dice rolling. If the dice don't go their way during a game, then plan B must be put into action. Just my thought regarding "Dice Rolling" and its effect on the outcome of AA games...

I mentioned dice rolls in these instances as they player was rolling well above the mean average, barely missing even on ones and twos. It was so above average either Axis or Allies would have won with zero bid and no modifications with those rolls. I host all the practice games and keep a tally on results. I have no wife or kids or cats and have all the room in the world so I am always around.

I would best describe the rolling as "obscene" in these two games. There were very few misses even on 1/6 and 1/3 odds.

Previous games with bids instead of the new setup (swapping sides each game) were typically what you would see. The Allies bids were kept as low as possible during those games.

These were just result reports, and you're right about the dice. These games, especially the second one would be completely a-typical and shouldn't be a reflection of the new modification. The player just didn't miss hardly at all, Allies had no chance of survival. If it were a craps game, well, I would have front row seats to the Royals game for the next month.

Looks like next session is this coming Monday. A break was taken, partly due to the shellacking last weekend.

By the way thank you everyone for the help in this! Glad to see it alive and well.

Thanks
_s