Report from the Front Turn One

Breaking away from the Second World War and paying a visit and tribute to the First World War. Coming this March, 2013
marcelvdpol

Re: Report from the Front Turn One

Post by marcelvdpol » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:07 pm

You could argue that "Rail Movement" is represented by IPC's. Germany, having an extensive rail network, earns a lot of IPC's each turn which can be used to mobilise new units. I hope that new infantry units can be produced in other places than a capital, but I guess from what I've read so far this is not the case.

On the other hand, from what I've read so far, turns will be a lot faster and more streamlined, so the "nightmare" of living through a Pacific 1940 Japan turn 1 (which can last roughly an hour) is not likely in this game. It could mean that sea movement might be faster though, making control of the seas more important than it is in Axis & Allies WWII.

Water has, for a long time, been the most reliable way to get goods from point A to point B which is why it was so important for Britannia to Rule the Waves. Even on the continent of Europe control of the great rivers has always been considered quite important which is why a lot of castles were built at river forks, river crossings and river estuaries.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:34 pm

Rail movement should be represented by moving land units quickly from A to B.

The suggestion that it is represented by current movement rules was made for WWII versions; unfortunately that asked us to believe that trains carrying tanks moved twice as fast as trains carrying infantry. They didn't and I don't.

Aran55633

Post by Aran55633 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:42 pm

"...or if at least two Allied capitals, one of which must be Paris or London are controlled by the Central Powers."

... Perhaps I'm completely wrong, but it seems to me, at first glance, that this may lead many Central Powers players to choose to focus on the Western and Italian fronts.

You must have Paris or London (doubt many will go after London...), so you obviously have to do plenty of fighting on the Western Front, and then you need one more capital. Seems to me that it would be easiest to have A.H. focus on Italy, take it down, then help take out France.

Allow for the minimal necessary expenditure to hold Russia where it is, with assistance from the Turks. Seems like a fairly obvious strategy...

But then, I obviously haven't played. I'll leave the speculation at that until after playing a game or two.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:45 pm

Also, it looks like Switzerland is an easy conquest. This can then become the focus of the Paris-Rome strategy, which can be merged into a single front with units from either being able to support the other. This is not possible with a Paris-Moscow approach.