Victory Conditions

Breaking away from the Second World War and paying a visit and tribute to the First World War. Coming this March, 2013
Flashman

Victory Conditions

Post by Flashman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:27 pm

I've never liked "capture-the-capital" victory conditions, and for this war they seem even more anomalous, since in WWI not one major participant had its capital captured.

Theoretically, then, if the gameplay is accurate and balanced, an average game will go on forever.

Larry has said that certain events occur on specific turns, so is there an actual limit on turn numbers, after which a stalemate is declared, with perhaps a secondary victory determined by factors such as total income increase?

This would make sense because, in 1917, those countries that had been fighting from the start were beginning to run out of manpower. After all in a four-year period there are only so many men of fighting age. You cannot manufacture more men as you can produce more rifles.

I personally favour a 20 turn game, with each turn representing 3 months, i.e. one season. At the end of this victory is calculated on number of Victory cities held. However, a morale tracker method, forcing countries into revolution if their morale drops too low is the most authentic way of producing a "winner" in a largely defensive war.

Imperious leader

Re: Victory Conditions

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:56 pm

Taking capitals is great. Great for a light wargame like AA. It just standardizes what you got to do to win, rather than different chrome rules for different nations. Makes good common sense. Should either be X capitals or economic victory.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

oztea

Post by oztea » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:27 pm

I am all for economic victory as an alternate option.

Most Holy

Post by Most Holy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:55 pm

Agreed. Many of our games would have ended on friendlier terms if there was a standard economic victory. The loser ALWAYS thinks they can turn it around. Not from any rational standpoint but by the time he's surrounded by the enemy on the board, his liver is overpowered by his 'Buds"
My A&A blog: Home of the Dicetruction Podcast and other A&A related nonsense
http://www.dicetruction.blogspot.com

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:00 pm

I think this game will have a 10 round average not 20. It should take about 4-5 hours to play (under 6 for sure). I guess it would be more like 6 -8 month windows per turn. Russia exits, as US comes in around the 4-5th turn mid to late 1917 (about 3+ years).

Older AA global games had an econ meter win mechanism, but I haven't heard Larry mention anything about econ win for 1914 OOB. Maybe there is an optional econ win rule like for the Russian Revolution (more or less caused by loss of income). If not it would be easy to install one (house rule).

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:23 am

So is it official: victory is based on capturing capitals?

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere, I either missed it or am subconsciously blocking it out...

Yavid

Post by Yavid » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:17 am

I look at it this way: IF the real war was a game. Then CP would have decided they couldn't win the game and conceded victory to the Allies. Which btw I also see the end of WW2 being as Japan was never invaded and captured.
Behold the Power of Yavid