Imperial Russia

Breaking away from the Second World War and paying a visit and tribute to the First World War. Coming this March, 2013
Flashman

Re: Imperial Russia

Post by Flashman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:10 pm

I think CP forces should have to physically occupy Russian tts in order to collect income from them.

I personally would like to place "Red" revolutionary units, controlled by Germany, which fight the remaining "White" Russians controlled by the Allies, with both supported by the major powers. But that is probably beyond the scope of this game.

oztea

Post by oztea » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:26 pm

it may be, but Tan UK 1940 units may make good white Russians.
Attachments
tumblr_ltabg3wdfY1qdqp5uo1_500.jpg
tumblr_ltabg3wdfY1qdqp5uo1_500.jpg (56.99 KiB) Viewed 4658 times

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:41 pm

Flashman wrote:I think you're making it sound a bit more complicated than it really is.

If Austria can alter history by attacking Italy on turn 1, I see no reason why Russia cannot invade Germany on its first turn. Technically Germany and Russia were at war before any shots were fired in any case.

etc....

This is a bit confusing since Larry has decided that Austria launches the first invasion even though, historically, this was a mere bombardment, and the first actual crossing of national borders was made by Germany.

I think the CP will be able to attack as they please (aggressors), the allies may have to wait until invited to the dance in some way, or a time line/turn. I think the game mechanics very well may restrict Russia from drawing first blood on the German, or the Ottoman Empire(s) in this game. They can obviously retaliate against the Austrian (forced) hostilities, but at this point of the game Germany isn't yet drawn into the war (see the end of Larry's quote below). It sounds like the Germans must go to war G1 because of their bond with the Austrians. Russia will be able to attack Ger & Ott on their second turn (if they weren't attacked), because those powers have obligations and will side with Austria by then. Its not that complicated to say on Russia first turn they can only go to war with powers that DOW against them. The lines have yet to be drawn by game standards.

Plus I don't think you want to have dead zones on German soil early in the game. These contested territories should be on Russian soil, or buffer territories in between. I don't think the game will allow the Russians to invade German territory creating contested areas simply because it would delay the siege of Moscow forcing the timely Revolution. Game mechanics........4th turn is the earliest point that the Central Powers can force the Revolution, but if they are fighting on German soil early on how can that happen.

You know history far better then I do, but I think you even back this up with your above comment about Germany being first to cross borders as an aggressor. I think the first couple turns will be governed loosely by political alignments and treaties of the time. Russia will respond to powers that attack her, or one of the minor powers under the Russian Eagle. I don't think they can attack the Germans (or Otto's) to bring them into the war though.

Quote from Larry:
"That means it’s Imperial Russia’s turn, and Russia is not in a good mood! Her Serbian cousins and Romanian allies have been attacked by Austria. With national prestige on the line, various alliances and treaty obligations, as well as strong connections to these smaller Balkan states, Imperial Russia has no choice but to react militarily to this perceived Austrian aggression. Russia is mobilized and goes to war with Austria. As the major Central Power, Germany, will certainly come into the war on the side of its Austrian ally".

Old Dwarf

Post by Old Dwarf » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:34 am

Imperial Russia did get agressive fast (leaving aside Larry's non historical
Romania/It. 1914 invasion by AH) in response to the AH Serbian Invasion,
its mobilization set off the chain reaction of mobilizations first with Germany
& then down the line.

The East front opened with Russia rushing 2 Armies against Germany,
and East Prussia was invaded.The German 8th Army using it's superior rail lines
was able trap & destroy 1 Army & the other retreated.

So Russia should be able to have a 1st go at Germany.Larry's nom historical
Demo moves did create an entirely new situation for Russia to react to but
I don't see why Russia should be forbidden to do what she historically did
& attack Germany on her ist turn.
Für Kaiser und König

Texas Holders

Post by Texas Holders » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:51 am

The borders crossed by Germany were on the Western Front. Russia invaded Germany and the first battle on the Eastern Front was on German soil.

At the time of the A-H invasion of Serbia, Russia, Germany, France, and the UK were all at a state of war.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:24 pm

Don't need "Whites", they're the original Russian units that remain loyal to the Tsarist regime.

Effectively, Allied Russia is still in the war but in a limited sense. Similarly the "Red" units controlled by Germany cannot move outside Russia; so in effect there is a civil war which merges with the general war through Allied intervention.

oztea wrote:it may be, but Tan UK 1940 units may make good white Russians.

marcelvdpol

Post by marcelvdpol » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:34 pm

Can't wait for this game to be released. I'm pre-ordering it. It feels like a bit of a mix between Axis & Allies: D-Day and Diplomacy. Axis & Allies: D-Day had this "one-round attack" while the map most certainly looks like Diplomacy in terms of area covered and speed of movement (ground units only moving one area per turn).

I love the fact that all my favorite Axis & Allies strategies are now right out the window as units are completely different and area's are much further apart.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:48 pm

I still think it will be the best A&A game ever, though also partly because I have a special interest in this period.

Railway house rules will make it faster and more historical, and I have some doubts about the the depiction of tanks, but overall the game seems to have eliminated a lot of the things that annoyed me about WWII versions (like America building tank factories in Norway, or tank trains travelling twice as fast as infantry expresses, or Moscow paying out IPCS to four different players on a single turn.)