The game as It unfolds

Breaking away from the Second World War and paying a visit and tribute to the First World War. Coming this March, 2013
Lumbergh

The game as It unfolds

Post by Lumbergh » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:36 am

Interested to know what your verdict is on the game set now that you have bought and unwrapped it.

Chicochico

Re: The game as It unfolds

Post by Chicochico » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:51 am

There seems to be so few pieces inside each box! So many dices, but so tiny. And chips, not nearly enough, i need an extra bag. The map is also kinda ugly. But i played it, and it was the best, most balanced A&A so far. I really liked it. 10/10 for the game itself, 6/10 for the execution.

Whackamatt

Post by Whackamatt » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:24 am

I thought the map looked fine. The orientation is different, but works really well for the layout of the players. Using ships, most spaces were fine, but some of the French/German border spaces can get cluttered with multiple powers sporting multiple unit types. If three powers each have Inf, Art, Tanks, Fighters (2 out of 3), there simply isn't enough space.

There are too few pieces, even from the start up. Forcing every space to be chipped from the get-go is tough, as once you expand, there isn't enough to purchase. We also ended up chipping naval units as we ran out of ships, and heaven help you if you want to spread out a navy, as there simply won't be enough battleships.

I, personally loved the tiny dice. I understand they're small to use the battleboard, but as with most A&A games, we just learn who rolls what and don't use the board.

The game felt awesome. The look and feel was nice. There were a few sentences or explanations in the rules that weren't worded too well; they could have been more precise and succinct. Also, I think the units could have had their own explanation breakdown as in all prior A&A gamse. Perhaps they cut it out to save money? The rules for the tanks, both when they can be purchased and them absorbing hits, were buried. It took a really long time to find them when questions arose.

Yavid

Post by Yavid » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:56 pm

As I'm reading the message boards both here and Axis and Allies.org the game was loved when Larry first made the announcement, but after a few details of the game was released to us that love turned to hate as people realized they weren't getting the game they had imagined. That feeling seems to be slowly turning back to love as people try it and enjoy it. The same old complaints seem to have come up. Not enough pieces, not enough chips. And to be honest it seems like a new complaint. Over-priced. All and all the game seems to be a hit and I'm very much looking forward to Larry doing a 2nd edition or a variant of this game. Spring '16 maybe? Or possibly inducing a new war altogether word on the boards is American Civil War is the leading candidate.
Behold the Power of Yavid

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Yes ACW is the best option. Lots of Americans will buy it and the novelty of it is attractive considering the crappy version from Eagle Games.

AH already made Battlecry. The real Battlecry was a strategic version which is really fun. I would just call this by the same name as the 1962 version.

Larry whatever help you need, just ask. We can get it done
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:37 pm

check this document out:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/69098 ... battle-cry

reminds you of something Larry?
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

pellulo

Post by pellulo » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:42 pm

Played that old American Heritage turkey game Battlecry, the history booklet included was better than the game! The American Revolution game Skirmish(also a American Heritage game) had at least some naval units in it(played a bit better).

If a second edition 1914 game comes out, maybe a blow up box(like in the 80's A&A game) of the Western Front would help with all those units, one needs to cram in too small a space, thanks, Pellulo
Pellulo

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Yes i got my copy of it around 1971. My second game after 1959 copy of RISK.

Bought at a flea market event for .25 cents.

Then i bought that Bruce Catton book. Wonderful times.