The game as It unfolds

Breaking away from the Second World War and paying a visit and tribute to the First World War. Coming this March, 2013
Imperious leader

Re: The game as It unfolds

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:51 pm

I would like to see a different perspective on the pieces..

note the picture above and how infantry is represented by two rows of men marching forward. This is how the Infantry piece should look like, except with a flag bearer and space to put up a decal of the flag.

Artillery, mortars, and cavalry should be like a typical AA game.

The General piece should be a man on horse holding his hat in the air as if to be leading his men.

skirmishers could be individual figures standing and aiming like the French figure in 1914.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:53 pm

We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:56 am

I really do believe that the idea of fitting all the pieces in an army into small map spaces is severely outdated.

Eagle Games did come up with the "flag bearer" pieces so you could build large armies without them spilling out from small tts.

1914 needs a similar system to make the game usable after the forces concentrate on the front line from Belgium to Rome.

An alternative I've suggested (and used) is that chips are used for all pieces other than the infantry piece topping a stack; different colours for each piece type. The downside with this is that it makes most of the miniatures obsolete, and I realise that they are a big part of the appeal of these games (I don't care for hex and counter games either).

But it comes down to a balance between the appeal of having nice plastic minis and game useability; without army markers for large groupings of units 1914 becomes unplayable after a few rounds.

pellulo

Post by pellulo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:26 am

I remember the Shogun game from Milton Bradley, let you have a separate board to build up your army there, it helped reduce the clutter on the actual board(maybe something like that for the 1914 revise set/somebody making one or selling them), thanks, Pellulo
Pellulo

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:45 pm

I really do believe that the idea of fitting all the pieces in an army into small map spaces is severely outdated.
Eagle Games did come up with the "flag bearer" pieces so you could build large armies without them spilling out from small tts.
Good reason to avoid anything they did in order to make a success of this new game.

This infantry piece molded like a column of soldiers with a flag bearer would be about 8/10 of an inch long. The flag piece would be like they got for Simmons games Napoleons triumph. The difference being their will be no plate on top for the commanders name. The flag piece fits under the column and obviously could be removed. Perhaps the commander name could be left on?