Potential 1914 TOURNAMENT RULES

Breaking away from the Second World War and paying a visit and tribute to the First World War. Coming this March, 2013
Tavenier

Re: Potential 1914 TOURNAMENT RULES

Post by Tavenier » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:07 am

There's not enough pieces in the box for that! ;-)

I think in the heat of the battles I would forget to place them apart all the time. And when I get nine hits and remove two dark red counters then it would be a fuss to exchange them with the bank and keep track of casualties etc. I get your idea and appreciate the thought behind it. Especially because of the Germans IRL.

GoSanchez6

Post by GoSanchez6 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:31 pm

Flash I think your premise is correct on the amount of casualties influencing whether a country bows out or stays in but after having about 3 to 5 mojitos keeping track of all those units has got headache written all over it. Tavenier I believe your solution may be the best one. Italy and Ottoman cannot be attacked until it is their turn. Then let the chips fall where they may.

GoSanchez6

Post by GoSanchez6 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:35 pm

I know there has been some complaining about this game but I believe this system with a little tinkering and a few more unit types. Heavy artillery and bombers to name a few. This could be Larry's finest moment. I said it on another post. Axis and Allies 1914: Anniversary Edition comes out in 2014 which would truly make it a anniversary edition.

Tavenier

Post by Tavenier » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:04 pm

The collapse system has the added afvantage for me gameplay wise that for example Italy can't just move back a turn to defend Rome. They must defend Tuscany to stay alive.
I saw interesting moves since these rules, because it is not just the capital, but all lands that need to be defended.

And ofcourse IRL Germany surrendered with hardly any territory occupied, but that was quite rare. I think it can be compared with playing this game as Germany and seeiing the Ottomans and Austrians defeated and having the full might of the three western allies with enormous armies in Belgium. Then anybody would give up.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:21 am

Quite rare, but the fact is that surrender wasn't really tied to loss of territory as much as to loss of people and the will to fight.

Therefore, some kind of "war weariness" factor needs to be added, calculated from the time a power joins the war, and/or based on casualties suffered.

I really don't think keeping track of losses is that difficult; it can be as simple as tracking IPC income if it needs to be.

GoSanchez6

Post by GoSanchez6 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:47 am

I think the Collapse system is great. My friends love it. Maybe upping the amount for Italy and Ottoman would help as well. I hope we hear something soon from either Larry or Krieg about an official update. Interested to see what they think.

Hobbes599

Post by Hobbes599 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:02 am

I do agree with one thing: there are too few types of units on the board. Somete I think I'm buying the same units over and over again.

Barindo

Post by Barindo » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Hey Larry, my son pointed out an error in your example.

Let's follow and study the example of France. If at any time this power begins its turn with homeland territories worth a total of 8 IPCs or more either captured or being contested by one or more enemy powers, it will suffer an economic collapse. It will not be able to purchase/mobilize new units, nor collect any income. This situation will continue until France begins a subsequent turn with the total value of homeland territories held or contested by enemy powers below 8, in which case it will once again be able to purchase units and collect income. However, if it begins its turn with this value at 10 or more, France will suffer a political collapse and be required to surrender and leave the game

Shouldn't that last sentence be:
However, if it ends its turn with this value at 10 or more, France will suffer a political collapse and be required to surrender and leave the game.