Have a Look at WAR ROOM

Four years in the making and still being playtested daily! I am as excited about WAR ROOM as I was back in 1984 when Axis & Allies was first released by Milton Bradley. And I was pretty excited back then, I can tell you that! WAR ROOM is chock full of totally new concepts and game systems. I'm talking about an elegant secret simultaneous movement system that you will delight in. A fascinating economic and social simulation that begins its trek in the oils fields, iron mines and rubber tree plantations of a world at war. A totally new combat system that gives you direct impact on the outcome. Now you will have to walk the fine line between the need for guns and your population’s need for butter. Failing to do so could lead to civil unrest, a collapsed economy and even massive unit desertions from your battlefields. Place this huge round World War II Polar view situation map on a lazy-susan, and construct your own War Room. Doing a Kickstarter in the Fall. Let’s do this together!
Flashman

Re: Have a Look at WAR ROOM

Post by Flashman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:31 pm

If the game ends in stalemate it's decided by a custard pie fight.

Like a lot of the rules listed so far, but one concern I have is the old chestnut about capturing the capital as victory condition. If London had fallen would the entire British Empire have thrown down its weapons and surrendered? If Moscow had fallen would all war production in Soviet factories in the Urals have ceased? I prefer that all industrial centres must be captured before a nation is knocked out.

China would be a good power for a player who just wants to sit on his arse playing candy crush.

Also hope defender retreats are included. Strategic withdrawal was a vital tactic at the right times. In my experiments it speeds up the game because a power will typically make 1 or 2 BIG attacks a turn in order to capture and hold a tt, rather than a large number of "pinching" attacks with just enough units to take tts for a turn to grab the income. Of course collecting resources at the start of a player turn also helps this, but I guess from the simultaneous movement this will work in a completely new way.

Guess there'll be no repeat of the battle.of the River Plate.

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:38 pm

No worries Larry, won't hold it against you. It won't hold me back from being a loyal fan by donating to the kickstarter. You should consider getting a ukulele because the world would be a much happier place if everyone played ukulele.

Must be an east coast / west coast thing with us.

I have boss who is from NH and works in Littleton, MA who reacts exactly like you do towards my dry humor.
-The evil Bert & friend

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:45 pm

Well don't you worry about it my ukulele playing, Kickstarter supporting, friend. You can be as West Coast as you want to be.

nexus73

Post by nexus73 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:48 pm

Having read the latest email (it came today) that linked to the rules set, I have no idea of how well the game will play but that map and the accessories are the most colorful and easiest for me to see of any wargame I have seen come from your mind Larry. If the visuals are a 10, that'll draw interest and hopefully more buyers in!

Rick
Bad dice happen. Blame the Russians...LOL!

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:25 pm

Rail rules are perfect; exactly what I've been pushing for all these years.

I would suggest an option to play without the ability to break the pact before the fall of the relevant capital.

I'd also suggest limiting co-operation between the Western and Eastern Allies, and between the Euro Axis and Japan. That is they may not share territory* or show each other orders before submitting. This creates tension between Allies. Also allows "individual" winners by each nation prioritising fall of a particular enemy capital i.e. Germany-USSR; Japan-USA; UK-Italy.

*Though maybe something allowing the western Allies to supply units to the USSR via Siberia - placing them under Soviet command when they arrive in a Soviet industrial region.

Looks like Moscow is a little bit far to the East, but not a game breaker.

I still don't like Gibraltar as a separate tt. I would prefer that its part of Spain but the UK can use it as a port as long as Spain is neutral. If the Axis capture Spain the UK loses the facility.

I'd prefer red for artillery & yellow for armour (what I use in 1914 games).

Iron ore is red, surely?

Pinning rule seems a little restrictive of strategic retreats, maybe 1/2 enemy units?

An obvious refinement is that each command token is given the name of a historical commander, perhaps with a combat modifier. These are then drawn randomly when assigning commands. A player can use up an order to relieve a commander and draw a replacement, placing the former commanders in a pool for reassignment when required. If a command is completely destroyed in battle that commander is captured and only liberated if the enemy capturing him is collapsed.

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:33 pm

The pictures look nice but let's be honest here. The board game market is a dying market. I would think you have better success with creating it as a mobile game. Allow people to download it in an app store and play against the AI or with other humans over the internet. Larry, a video game via a smart phone app or a major game system like PlayStation or Xbox would get your game into the hands of many more players.

I hate to say it but I will not purchase this game like I have not purchased any of your other ones that have come after battle of the bulge. The games are not different enough from one another, take too long to set up, too long to play, and the rules for some of them were very unclear and confusing for people.

The best version of axis and allies was the CD ROM game Iron Blitz because it took care of many of the problems mentioned above. It is time to move your war games into the 21st century and go digital.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

Larry

Post by Larry » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:37 pm

So now you tell me!!!? But as you said... The pictures look nice!

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:28 am

Nuclear wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:33 pm
The board game market is a dying market.
Sales figures indicate otherwise.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok