Have a Look at WAR ROOM

Four years in the making and still being playtested daily! I am as excited about WAR ROOM as I was back in 1984 when Axis & Allies was first released by Milton Bradley. And I was pretty excited back then, I can tell you that! WAR ROOM is chock full of totally new concepts and game systems. I'm talking about an elegant secret simultaneous movement system that you will delight in. A fascinating economic and social simulation that begins its trek in the oils fields, iron mines and rubber tree plantations of a world at war. A totally new combat system that gives you direct impact on the outcome. Now you will have to walk the fine line between the need for guns and your population’s need for butter. Failing to do so could lead to civil unrest, a collapsed economy and even massive unit desertions from your battlefields. Place this huge round World War II Polar view situation map on a lazy-susan, and construct your own War Room. Doing a Kickstarter in the Fall. Let’s do this together!
Nuclear

Re: Have a Look at WAR ROOM

Post by Nuclear » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:31 pm

Krieghund wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:28 am
Nuclear wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:33 pm
The board game market is a dying market.
Sales figures indicate otherwise.
I looked into this more. Yes figures are improving sales wise but in the type of game that is euro based not conquer and luck style of typical American games such as Axis and Allies.

I wish Larry all the luck with his new game. I am just saying that I do not see it resolving many of the game playing problems that people experience. The circular map might help a little. Maybe the new square pieces allow for a faster set up. But still no one likes a game where they are eliminated and others continue to play while they have to sit out. Everyone going at the same time will help to speed things up. But I am still skeptical of this new game based on what I have seen with each version of Axis and Allies that has existed.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:50 am

I am still skeptical of this new game based on what I have seen with each version of Axis and Allies that has existed
Axis & Allies, like any game, is not for everyone. It has been in print, however, for every day of the past 33 years. This game, War Room, in contrast, and there are many contrast, has not even been born yet and some people have been publically stating exactly what they don't like about it. - blows my mind how they can be so irresponsible and inaccurate both at the same time. Maybe it's the times we're living in or something. The few criticism I have read about War Room are all ill-founded and based on erroneous assumptions. In your case, however, it might simply be a good idea to stick with your vids and Euro games, as I said... no game is made for everybody..

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:14 am

Larry wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:50 am
I am still skeptical of this new game based on what I have seen with each version of Axis and Allies that has existed
Axis & Allies, like any game, is not for everyone. It has been in print, however, for every day of the past 33 years. This game, War Room, in contrast, and there are many contrast, has not even been born yet and some people have been publically stating exactly what they don't like about it. - blows my mind how they can be so irresponsible and inaccurate both at the same time. Maybe it's the times we're living in or something. The few criticism I have read about War Room are all ill-founded and based on erroneous assumptions. In your case, however, it might simply be a good idea to stick with your vids and Euro games, as I said... no game is made for everybody..
Larry thanks for the reply. I admit that you are not going to be able to please everyone. I did take the time to glance through your rule book for the game on boardgamegeeks. Yes I do not know how the final rules will be or how the final game will turn out. However as you mentioned Axis and Allies has been around for ~33 years and from that track record I have not seen a major deviation in the play style or game style. I see a simple cup that just kept getting resold as a different color every few years. It obviously makes money, so that is great. You have an established player base and followers for your games which is great. You have a lot going for you. All of this is good. However from a business perspective I would think it would be best to expand your market and target different groups of players by creating games that have different play styles. Then if someone liked one of your games, they would be tempted to purchase a different one and give it a try. I am still reminded about how many different versions of Monopoly that exist and everyone is the same as the last one just different themes, and how now a days you do not see that. However Monopoly has gone digital with electronic components that speed up game play and make the game more fun. They also introduced mechanisms to speed up the game, which appear to be successful in generating more sales of the game.

Larry I will not be a simple yes man if that is what you are looking for. I hope your game is successful and makes all of the money in the world. That would be great. I do not mind being proven wrong. I am just sharing my thoughts and my opinions about it. I am just saying perhaps that you should explore and consider the criticisms of what you have already done, and work on improving in those areas so your game(s) are even better.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:29 pm

Nuke,
I love “YES” men. They make me feel good all over!
The problem is they don't advance a given cause much. I'm interested in this "cause". That's right... it's a “cause”. To better understand what I mean by that you’ll have to read my designer notes once they get posted. I don’t want to get into all that here.
I am so friggin open to new ideas and suggestions to help advance this cause that at times I feel more like a traffic cop than a designer. All I ask of my critics, and particularly the critics of this yet unreleased game, is their ideas, and not their slams, be advanced. Thanks for yours!

AC

Post by AC » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:40 am

Larry I love all of the axis and allies games and I have no criticisms. They have given me hours of fun since I was a young boy and my fondest memories are of playing the game with my dad and brother.

I disagree with everything nuclear has stated and to be honest I think his comments were rude under the veil of being "honest". If he doesn't like the games I don't see why he follows the forum and spends his time on such long responses.

I can imagine you have spent hours and hours working on this latest game and I appreciate that. You can be proud of your accomplishments. I have found all of the games to be different and I own 10 variations.

Young Grasshopper

Post by Young Grasshopper » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks Larry for the years and dedication to bring us yet another WW2 strategy board game, I'm looking forward to learning more about it, and of course checking out your demonstration game this September in Toronto. Cheers.
May all your rolls be ones

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:34 pm

In the spirit of rude and veil, of course it makes me want to comment.

Axis & Allies is really stuck in the 80's. When the Axis & Allies game CD came out, I must have spent 10,000 more time and games playing people from all over the world, easily. With just playing the board game, there was a core group but nothing like www gaming. There were different clubs and online followings that came from that digital www game. It opened up a whole world of gaming experiences that have not come to fruition since. One can still be social in an online setting and maybe that is what is so hard grasped by the designer and developers who likes to drink beer and pretzels on a round table. So in many ways, board gaming of this series is really stuck in the 80's. I had a great time painting, and making boards etc etc, but times change. Sure I'd like to game face to face, but in reality for many of us, it doesn't happen. In fact I can not even remember the last time I played Axis & Allies and that is pretty sad to say for a game I really have passion for. So instead I find myself buying these board games, supporting Larry that I don't even play. I set them up, check out the rules, look at the forums but I don't have the time to go to peoples homes and game.

I will support Axis & Allies, even if Larry is still involved (haha) in hopes that some day he will leave the 80's, the golden era of AA and find some developers who will allow the masses the enjoyment of his games.

Of course I will still support the Kickstarter fund raising, and purchase this game. But I'd really love to see his games online.
-The evil Bert & friend

timerover51

Post by timerover51 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:09 am

In our summer gaming classes, Axis and Allies is still one of the primary games played, but we do have a rule when someone is knocked out, that game ends, a winner is declared, and another game started with the players changed with respect to the countries. We also ran the original version of Pacific, with Red Japanese pieces, with 6 countries: the U.S., Australia, British India, the Netherlands, China, and Japan. It turned into a very near run thing, with Japan almost winning due to the reluctance of the US and Australian players to actively attack. Trying to get 5 middle school and high school students to cooperate in quite difficult, and definitely teaches them the problems of fighting a war with allies. For the Dutch, we use the Light Blue Historical Board Gaming pieces, I just wish he would make some subs.

I assume that it would be possible to use existing Axis and Allies pieces with the new board. I have enough various A&A games to supply several boards. Has anyone shown interest in making units for the game such as in the current run of A&A games?