Have a Look at WAR ROOM

Four years in the making and still being playtested daily! I am as excited about WAR ROOM as I was back in 1984 when Axis & Allies was first released by Milton Bradley. And I was pretty excited back then, I can tell you that! WAR ROOM is chock full of totally new concepts and game systems. I'm talking about an elegant secret simultaneous movement system that you will delight in. A fascinating economic and social simulation that begins its trek in the oils fields, iron mines and rubber tree plantations of a world at war. A totally new combat system that gives you direct impact on the outcome. Now you will have to walk the fine line between the need for guns and your population’s need for butter. Failing to do so could lead to civil unrest, a collapsed economy and even massive unit desertions from your battlefields. Place this huge round World War II Polar view situation map on a lazy-susan, and construct your own War Room. Doing a Kickstarter in the Fall. Let’s do this together!
Larry

Re: Have a Look at WAR ROOM

Post by Larry » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:51 pm

Response to Elbowsanchez
My Man…
Play this on your ukulele

ChristophfromGermany

Post by ChristophfromGermany » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:06 am

Conventional wisdom has got it that you should never judge a book by its cover. My first thought after I have seen the new War Room Website was: Card box counters instead of figurines?!? A round game board? What the heck is he doing??? But after years of playing Axis & Allies (from 1984 edition to 1942 SE) and Conquest of the Empire (Old edition with Eagle Games Classic Rules) I have full confidence that Larry Harris will come up again with a brilliant game. So I will wait and see what happens.

Question to Larry: Are there any changes to the upcoming reprint of the Anniversary Edition (rules, figurines, game board etc.) or is it a 1:1 copy of what I have acquired years ago for quite some money? Do you have a link to an official statement of WotC or Avalon Hill?
ChristophfromGermany

No decent man can prefer war to peace, because at peace-time the sons burry their father while at war, the father burries his sons. (Herodot)

Variable

Post by Variable » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:51 pm

@Christoph:

The AH rep that they interviewed at Origins about the reprint of AA50 said it will "include updated sculpts and updated rulebook to include all errata". I think it's a safe bet that they will use G40 sculpts. But then again, I was surprised to see new pieces in AA41 so you never know!

Variable

Post by Variable » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:55 pm

Larry,

Sorry it's been so many years since we talked at Gencon. I am VERY excited to see some fresh ideas here! Can't wait to see how this all comes together and unfolds for us. As you know, I own everything with your name on it and this would be no exception. Please keep the details coming! And let me know if you need another play test group. Have a wonderful group here in the SF Bay, California ready and waiting.

Cheers!

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:09 pm

Strangely enough I was toying with the idea of writing an article elsewhere asking the question - "are minis dead?" in relation to Axis and Allies games.

This is largely from my experience with A&A 1914. There are many things I like about that edition but, after a couple of plays, I found I had to get rid of the miniatures and replace them with colour-coded chips, all but the mandatory infantry unit on top of the stack. With multiple armies of mixed units from both sides allowed to camp in a single space the game simply isn't playable with the supplied pieces. This is especially so on the western front where the small territories and annoying join in the board running right along the front magnify the problem.

Like what I'm seeing so far. It's got railways - yah! Now all land units travel at the same speed - that of the trains carrying them. See, Larry gets there in the end.

Don't like India still being one giant territory - Japan can conquer it in a day!

Seems to be set post 1940 so no France. I assume then that the UK/Anzacs are two players.

Sicily worth 4. Mmmm, is that for the olive oil?

Anyone know other board using this projection; History of the World has something similar but the Pacific is stretched out to a thin strip.

I don't think those blocks are dice - I'm guessing just turn order markers.

As for that circle in the centre - you can't fight in there - that's the War Room!
Attachments
HWb.jpg
HWb.jpg (141.88 KiB) Viewed 869 times
IamNowLarry.jpg
IamNowLarry.jpg (4.89 KiB) Viewed 871 times

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:07 pm

Flashman… you’re so Haaaaaaaaard.
Go write your article with your probing question – “Are Minis Dead”. On the other hand, you can just take it from me that they are NOT!
Of course as a player you can setup your games with Euro coins if you still have them… My point being… It’s your game… you have my permission to do whatever the hell you want to do with it. 😊

India is one big country. Too small to be divided and too large for others (such as yourself). In any case it’s not about to fall in one sunny afternoon, or as you put it “in a day”. It takes weeks even months (in game time) for the Japanese to take it… but indeed when they do, they take it all. I haven’t seen it fall very often. Also, if the Japanese even get close to it, it often remains in a hotly contested state for long periods of time.

Your assumption about the UK and the ANZACS being two players is a false assumption. They are all comfortably under the Command structure of the Union Jack in this game.

Another assumption on your part… No Sicily is not worth 4, but if it were it would indeed be because of its olive oil.

Not sure if you are asking or telling me that the “circle in the center” is a place where you can’t fight. It is indeed an important part of WAR ROOM – that much I can assure you of. In fact, it is where you and the other powers’ civil unrest, disrupted supply lines, dysfunctional rails and ports, economic stress and mass desertions are tracked. You don’t want to go there!

your attached map (OMG that's ugly) has no Pacific Ocean. Where the hell is the Pacific Ocean? That's like going through life with no Pee-Pee!

I love this game … with even the slightest bit of luck… you will too.

AC

Post by AC » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:17 am

Hey Larry,

The fighting in the war room was a reference from Dr Strangelove.

I look forward to the new game mate. Keep up the good work.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:50 am

Right...
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war Room!