Rule Question

Axis and Allies: Europe pits you and your opponents in the massive struggle of World War 2 in Europe, the Atlantic, and across North Africa and the Middle East. This spin on the classic game adds new pieces (artillery and destroyers), new economic warfare rules (convoys, Middle Eastern oil fields, and expanded strategic bombing), and a more detailed European theater.
adlertag

Rule Question

Post by adlertag » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:43 pm

RULE QUESTION

On Avalon Hill forums this funny question showed up.
http://boards.avalonhill.com/showthread.php?t=8226

According to A&A Europe rules, you can place unlimited of newly purchased units in your homecountry. But in occupied or other coloured territories with IC, you face a limit.

I am Germany, can I place unlimited new units in Italy ?
or do I have a limit on 4 ?

Germany has a different colour than Italy.
Germany is black coloured, while Italy and the rest of occupied europe is khaki.
The rules state that the British player can place unlimited new units in Canada, but Canada has the same colour as UK. And all the sovjet territories have the same red colour.

Help me out on this Larry.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:58 pm

Only Germany my friend.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:49 pm

I read your post in AH...and some of those people are wrong. You only can exceed the units in your "home territory" Germany is the German home territory. look at a map next time. Italy is not a home territory and italy is only another occupied territory in this game like France. The home territories are only where you see the symbol of the flag which identifies the "home territory" Imperious will never steer you off course. I am correct.
If you want a game with italy and the ability to exceed that limit youll need to buy that game they offer in boardgamegeek.com with the Italian axis and allies expansion. I know its cold in lapland but you should trust me better than that.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:29 pm

Imperious leader wrote: The home territories are only where you see the symbol of the flag which identifies the "home territory"
and so USSR can only place unlimited new units in Moscow, and face a limit of 1 and 2 in Leningrad, Stalingrad and Arcgangelsk ?? Since there is a symbol in Moscow only.

But why can Canada get unlimited units then, that winterland with forests and mountains only, no industri during ww II and only 16 million people.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:28 pm

Code: Select all

But why can Canada get unlimited units then
If they are in the game as seperate forces, then they can do this. IN the soviet case unlimited in only the icon territory and limited forces in all others.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:46 pm

The rules do not seem to be consistent on this. Page 19 states that "You may place as many units as you like in your home territory. You may not place more units in a captured territory with an Industrial Complex than the IPC income of that territory." The key here is the definition of "home territory". There are 3 ways to interpret this:
  • 1 - "Home territory" refers literally to a single territory, marked with the symbol of that nation (the capital).
    2 - "Home territory" refers in plural to all of the territories that are the same color as the capital of the nation.
    3 - "Home territory" refers in plural to all of the territories that you start the game with. This meshes with the 2nd sentence, which refers to "captured territories".
On page 5 it lists Canada and the UK as equal territories, and they are both the same color on the map. On page 19, the rules go out of their way to state that the UK may place unlimited units in Canada. This would seem to support the 1st interpretation by explicitly making Canada an exception to the rule. However no such exception is explicitly made for Leningrad, Archangel or Stalingrad, yet on page 19 the example of placement states that "The Soviet player is not limited by the IPC income of these areas since they are Soviet territories." This would seem to support either interpretation 2 or 3, but it is not clear exactly which one.

The grey area in all this is the unique situation of Italy. On page 5, the rules list Germany as one color, and the other Axis countries as another. Since Italy is the only territory containing an IC that is a different color than the capital of its nation, its production status depends entirely on which interpretation of "home territory" is the correct one. Since the rules seem to support multiple interpretations, it is impossible to determine.

My personal opinion is that interpretation 3 is the correct one. Larry, can you shed any light on this?
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:44 am

I maintain that the Icon is the determing factor. Just like in revised or AAP, or 2nd edition. BTW Kreighund you live in California? Hawthorne to be exact?

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:37 am

Imperious leader wrote:I maintain that the Icon is the determining factor. Just like in revised or AAP, or 2nd edition.
I am not sure how you can support this statement. The rules of 2 of these games actually support interpretation 3 in my last post. In both 2nd Edition and Pacific, all original territories, not just those with icons, have unlimited production. Karelia in 2nd Edition and Hawaii in Pacific are examples. This is the chief reason why I support this interpretation. In Revised, all territories have limited production, so it doesn't really apply.
Imperious leader wrote:BTW Kreighund you live in California? Hawthorne to be exact?
No, I am in Virginia.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok