The game became unplayable when DirectX9.0 came out...the current patch fixed this as well as several game bugs.
Plotinus has updated the download...he has taken out the music and movie which has reduced the size of the download by 90 percent.
I've got a much smaller version available for download now, 30 MB instead of 400 MB--hacked it so it can run without the movies and music.
v5.1 of the Starter Pack includes a new application, AA Helper. To find it after installing, go to Start\Programs\Axis & Allies\AA Helper.
This is intended as a trouble-shooting application for people having problems running AA--crashes, slow graphics, etc.
Its got the ability to install and uninstall Aqrits fix as well as a couple of other things to try explained more in it--forcing Process Affinity to 1 core or to multiple cores, and running with or without in-game music and videos. In no in-game music mode, the thread that handles music in the game never gets created, so that may help with slow graphics or people crashing from incapatibilities.
If you wish to play others on the WARZONE here is the download:
Having problems with your download working? Here is a help forum.
http://www.axisandalliesworldclub.net/f ... m.php?f=25
Want to play rated games against good players?
NOTE: The purpose of this download is for legitimate past owners of the 1998 Axis and Allies CD-ROM whose CD has become lost or unusable/unreadable. Installing this without ever owning the orginal CD-ROM may constitute a violation of Hasbro's copyrights and should not be done.
New additions with this patch include:
* Dice stats (/luck command): Displayed for each side is the number of hits above or below average followed by the actual number of hits/the average number of hits of that side's dice = % of actual to average hits. I.e., 100% = exactly average, 90% = 10% below average, 110% = 10% above average. Below this is a comparison of the luck of each side, showing which side has done better than which and by how many hits compared to the average, / the total number of actual hits for both sides = % of difference to total hits. This final percent gives a rough idea of how big a roll luck has played in the game, with 0% = luck has played no roll.
* Hot Keys: The following hot keys have been added:
o F1: Shows a help screen.
o ALT-F: Toggles flag display on or off.
o ALT-ENTER: Switches A&A to Windowed mode. To unlock the mouse in Windowed mode, click on the title screen of the window. The game may run very slowly in Windowed mode, it is primarily a way to switch out of the game quickly to do something then go back in. To switch back to Full-Screen mode, simply Maximize the window.
o ALT-TAB: Minimize A&A. Much less stable than ALT-ENTER.
* Combat Movement: The game will now allow you to move units to non-combat locations during the Combat Phase. This is primarily to permit planes to path through allied territory (to avoid AA or establish retreat routes) and to permit Aircraft Carriers to move to show the game potential fighter landing spots. It should not be used illegally to block naval retreats.
* Neutral Bug Fixes:
o Planes can now use their final movement point to land on a captured neutral.
o Planes can now capture neutrals by flying over them, and must do so to fly over them. Capturing neutrals in this way costs 3 IPC's as normal.
o To prevent accidental buying, planes will now never automatically path over uncaptured neutrals. To take a neutral with a plane, you much manually path the plane to that neutral. It can then go on to another combat location in the same phase.
o Tanks can now blitz through captured neutrals, though per the rules, not in the same phase that they are originally captured.
* 2 Dice Heavy Bombers Option: This option replaces the never used No Tech Development option on the main options screen in-game. When selected, Heavy Bombers will only roll 2 dice instead of 3 both in combat and during Strategic Bombing raids.
* Allied Sub Retreats: A bug that prevented allied subs from retreating (notably the USSR sub from the North Sea on Germans first combat phase) has been fixed.
* Combat Unit Lock: A bug causing the error "Max History Log Exceeded" when either side in a battle rolled more than 164 dice has been eased--the limit is now 255 dice for either side. Note this is for each side, not combined--i.e., Allies could roll 255 and Axis another 255 in the same battle without breaking anything.
* Chat Window Clearing: The chat window will no longer clear its contents when it is closed then reopened.
* Drake Passage Pathing: A pathing bug at Drake Passage has been fixed.
* Removed Re-Loading: Removed the ability to reload a save during a multiplayer game to head of any temptation to try running the game in a Window, saving it, editing IPC's with the IPC editor, and reloading it. Thanks to AABoss for pointing out this idea to me--I don't know if it would have worked, but better safe than sorry. Re-loading has long been used to "unstick" amphibious assaults into undefended territories that involved a sea battle--however, simply clicking "Done" to the combat phase will accomplish the same thing.
* Not Backwards Compatible: Please not that v5.0 is not backwards compatible with previous versions of A&A. This means if anyone in a game is using v5.0, everyone must be or the game will lock up/malfunction at certain points. Player's versions are displayed in the chat area of the Waiting For Players screen when A&A first starts--verify there that everyone is using v5.0. Saved games, however, can be shared between v5.0 and previous versions, though games saved in previous versions will not have the dice stat information saved.
A number of enhancements and bug fixes coded independently by Aqrit have been included in v5.1 with his permission. These can all be turned on or off by his new configuration utility, runnable from the AA Helper application. By default, all are turned on except Force Direct Draw Emulation.
* A&A Windowed Mode: Hit ALT-ENTER during the game to for A&A to run in a window. Maximize the window to return to full screen mode. While in Windowed mode, click on the window's title bar to toggle locking and unlocking the mouse to the windown. Note that windowed mode may run very slowly on some computers (it does on mine), but it is still useful for popping out to change your mp3's, check if your opponent is still in the WZ, etc.
* ALT-TAB: ALT-TAB may now be used to switch out of the game without running it in a window. However, this is much more likely to lock up than using ALT-ENTER to just go to windowed mode, especially if it isn't your turn. Its what automatically happens when something tries to "pop up" over A&A, though, so such pop ups are now much less likely to lock up the game--just try to get back into the game as quickly as possible when that happens, especially if it isn't your turn.
* Improved Video Card Compatibility: Aqrit has made further improvements to his fix for the surface locking bug that was causing some video cards and OS's to crash running A&A. His fix is now turned on by default.
* Force DirectDraw Emulation Option: This option is off by default, and should only be turned on as a last resort if you can not get the game to run any other way. It turns off all hardware acceleration of the game graphics, and is likely to make the game run very slowly unless you have a very fast computer.
* Arrow-Key Map Scrolling: The map can now be scrolled with the up, down, left, and right arrow keys. This is on by default, but can be turned off if prefer to use those keys for their Chat Window functions.
* Faster Transport Unloading: Automatically selects the next unit to unload from a group of transports.
* Faster Transport Movement: Automatically selected the next transport to move. This option along with the one above it are intended to prevent having to use the special Transport window.
* Uncap USA IC Production: A fix for the bug that sometimes limit US production in the E USA to 12 units. While it technically can be turned off, there is no reason to do so, and doing might cause problems when playing others who have it turned on--so best to always leave this on.
Download the newest version of the game here: http://ewarzone.com/aa.html
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests