RTS: Job well done

Andre Bolkonsky

RTS: Job well done

Post by Andre Bolkonsky » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:10 am

I bought a full copy of the game today.

Have played one round (German invasion of Caucusus) of the WWII version.

I might be hooked.

We are trying to generate some chatter over at Don's AnA site about the game, and have a few players rolling in. We might be onto something here.
War is but an extension of politics, by other means.

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:15 pm

Thanks for your support of this game. Once the smoke clears and people realize exactly what the game is they’ll love it. It’s a fun RTS and in spite of what some are saying the AI in this game is excellent. There are some very interesting threads over at TimeGate:

http://www.timegate.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26

I’d like to stay around and chat but I’ve got to get back to my game.
Regards
Larry

Atlantikwall

Post by Atlantikwall » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:03 pm

Larry wrote:the AI in this game is excellent.
Hello Larry,

you`re kidding. The AI is ridicoulous and if I can beat that one easily without any experience in my firts games within few rounds; I would even win much quicker in the next games. The computer e.g. neves attacks a single inf with another inf, you you can easily hold your countries. In my second and third game, I did not loose a single battle unintentionally. Only in few occasions I had to sacrifice a inf because my stupid computer partner marched forward with a expensive air-army in a deadzone. And almost every turn I could destroy an enemy army because the compouter opponent walked within striking-distance. The WW2-mode is a joke with or without RTS battles! And you`ll make the anger even bigger, you try to protect a broken game!

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:59 pm

Atlantikwall – I really regret that you are having this experience. I have not. In any case it’s not really for me to defend the game. If you’re not happy – I’m not happy. Nonetheless, so many are. What I can’t understand is the extremes in difference of opinions.
http://www.timegate.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Thanks for your input.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:52 pm

we dont have the game, but the link above is to a thread written by someone who says he is totally stoned while playing...

perhaps not a good thread to link...unless you like cannibus ;)

Atlantikwall

Post by Atlantikwall » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:10 am

Larry wrote:I really regret that you are having this experience. I have not. (...) What I can’t understand is the extremes in difference of opinions.
Dear Mr. Harris,

you sure are an intelligent man and certainy one of the most experienced players of A&A. I simply don`t believe you that you have he slightest problems of beating the comuter AI in at least the same way than I did. And (at least) the WW2-mode is crap, that`s not only my opinion, that is the (almost) unanimous opinion among the A&A community. Just look at the boards of Avalon Hill or any of the four play-by-mail clubs that you created the LHT rules for Revised with. I think that the post above from Andre B. is the only positive one and there are some dozen people that expressed the same experience as I did.

So, if you give your name for such a game and make publicity for it, you`re also responible. You`re the creator of the original board game and you should make every effort to prevent demage of the "brand name" A&A. So you should either try to reach some improvements for this game (better AI, multi-player-mode of WW2) or you just should (at least) stop campaigning for that broken game!

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:44 am

Atlantikwall – Thanks for your kind suggestions. You are right about one thing – I am an intelligent man. With your acknowledging of that fact please allow me to decide whom and what I will endorse.

I really regret that you are having this negative experience. I have not. Perhaps – and this is only a “perhaps”- you’re simply too intelligent for the artificial intelligence that the game has to offer. I think you should move on to bigger and greater challenges. Of course on the other hand you could perhaps derive some purpose and satisfaction in dumping on a pretty wonderful game that’s been in development for 2 + years and put together by the some of the best in the industry. Somehow I can’t help but think that this is exactly what you will be doing for a while. Too bad.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:34 pm

actually, most all AI isnt that great...so to pick on this game, really isnt that fair...afterall, larry did say it wasnt going to be an advanced board war game...

like anything else, timing is everything, IMO, this game came out a little late, most of these types of games were ealier generations in the pc gaming industry...