RTS: Job well done

Re: something for andre...

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:20 pm

Imperious leader wrote:this game rated a 6 on the 1-10 scale from gamespot: FAIR

RetailGameSpot Score6.0fairAbout Our Rating System Gameplay - 6
Graphics - 7
Sound - 6
Value - 7
Tilt - 5
How can you call any review that has a FIVE for tilt a fair review? That guy had it out for this game from the get go.

Here are some other reviews you just happend to leave out..

--------------

IGN: 8.4 Overall
IGN Reader Score: 8.3

Presentation: 8.0
I like the RTS side of the game but the connection to the Axis and Allies brand is slim at best.

Graphics: 8.5
The unit models and environments vibrant but not entirely unrealistic. The various effects could be a bit better but they get the job done.

Sound: 7.5
The effects and music are serviceable. I'm not a big fan of the voice work here.

Gameplay:8.5
While the WW2 mode is a bit weak, the RTS battles are lots of fun. The AI is quite a challenge.

Lasting Appeal: 8.0
I like the campaigns and I could see myself playing the custom multiplayer battles for a while. The WW2 mode holds little interest for me.

--------------

FileFront: 4 out of 5 stars
FileFront Reader Score: 4 out of 5 stars

Pros : Nice twist on rts gameplay.

Cons : Not too wonderful on the eyes.

"A&A holds up as a solid Real Time Strategy."

"There are quite a few gamers who have indicated that the game is a departure from the original board game. On that note, fans of the original hard-copy classic might not want to get their hopes up for their favorite rendition of a great game coming to the PC screen."

--------------

I don't think anyone here or in any other review or forum has sugar coated the game and its presentation. It's an RTS, and a good one at that

Andre Bolkonsky

Post by Andre Bolkonsky » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:33 pm

Imperious Leader,

I understand now:it's not that you're illiterate or incapable of research; you're simply politically naive.

What is your goal with this tirade?

If your intention is to ensure a company no longer tries to put out an AnA game; you're using the proper tactics.

If your goal, as I perceive it to be, is to encourage a company to create an AnA strategic level game with all the bells and whistles you want; then you need to change tactics.

Give the game some support and a pat on the back; let them sell a few copies.

If it sells even enough to cover their cost, they'll build a sequel which probably WILL contain all the upgrades you desire.

Think before you speak is my final suggestion.
War is but an extension of politics, by other means.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:32 pm

Andre,

lets just aggree to disagree on this topic. What then is your plan to promote a "real" axis and allies game? I cant be a lackey or an apologist just to go with the program. WE here are encouraged to speak our minds ( or are we) . Your not able to convince anybody here that the game is the second coming of sliced bread. Please spare us of this.
However, if you have any contructive ideas on how to get another "make up" game made please present them and lets move on. The balls in your court as the saying goes.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Andre Bolkonsky

Post by Andre Bolkonsky » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:42 am

Leader,

All I can tell you is this: I have a crick in my neck from playing this game that I haven't felt in years.

I truly enjoy this game. I'm sorry if that offends you.

You may express any opinion you want, but the old adage that it is easier to get flies with honey rather than vinegar has been proven correct more than once.

However, this much is clear: you are fixated on the idea this game sucks because it isn't AnA II.

You would rather post negatives than seek positives, destroy the system rather than work to enhance it.

I have nothing more to say to you than what I have said.
War is but an extension of politics, by other means.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:49 am

andre ,
Just post a poll of which game you would rather be stuck on a deserted island with Hasblos axis and allies or Axis and allies RTS. This way one of us will soon shut up your tirade...
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:26 pm

Imperious leader:
There are things that you are saying about A&A RTS that I don’t like to here. Too bad for me.

However, there are things that you are saying to others and with such distain that I find it disrespectful. You are making this site a rather unpleasant place to visit. If you continue with this attitude you’ll be banned from this site --- for about 25 years. So knock it off!

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:45 am

Larry,

First, if I have offended Andre or yourself in some way i am sorry and you may want to REMOVE those posts as well. You have a right to delete 160 of my posts which have nothing to do with anything any person could label as "distain" unless you distain my ideas which is your right as well. You have the right to not say anything about why or what pretext that decision was made. If you want people to contribute to this site you should allow the thoughts and words of others to be heard. In my opinion The RTS game is not very good. Nothing by that should effect you in the slightest. If that person presented some valid reasons to support this than he should be heard. Their is or was no malice in any of my remarks and they were only comments regarding what Timesgate DID and not you and certainly not Andre. Your function had little bearing on what actually was created and that was solely in the hands of the officials at Timegate. I know that anything you came up with would be the best possible product like all of your other games. That much is certain. I may be opinionated perhaps condescending but i respect everybodys ideas. Ideas are the only thing we have to offer here and ill mind what i post so not to worry. :D

Atlantikwall

poll at Avalon Hill forum

Post by Atlantikwall » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:31 am

Hello,

I got a bit bored to "justify" why I don`t like that game. But as may see, it`s no only me, it`s also the (almost) unaminous opinion of the A&A play-by-mail-community. You may look at either forum of the four FIDA-clubs or you may have a look at the forum of the Avanlon Hill http://boards.avalonhill.com/showthread ... 305&page=1. I´m abolutely sure that I would have promoted that game if it would meet my expectations. The RTS campaign might be fine, but I wanted to play a stategic game with the WW2-mode and that`s not possible at all. I don`t have anything against making something new and a combination of A&A and RTS might have been an interesting idea. But then you have to succeed it both parts, the RTS one and the round-based strategy game. And what had been so difficult to offer WW2 also in a multi-player-mode? And the AI there sucks as I already mentionned.

So please agree, that a concentration on the strenghts of "real" A&A might have been a better way to get some positive responses. You may either reach some improvements in the existing computer game or admit that this RTS idea was a failure (at least within the WW2-mode) and move on with some other projects.